IGNORED

Silicon Valley (Lossless Compression)

Sometimes I am really grateful we cheaped out and got limited basic cabal TV.

I hear you, but in my opinion cable and satellite TV are much too expensive to begin with. If one has to pay that much just to get TV into our homes, it leaved damn little in the budget for "premium" channels, whose fare is mostly junk (with a few gems scattered about) anyway.

George

Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

I am too busy listening to music, however.

And $ that would have been spent on Premium channel cable is instead directly funneled to my audio obsession.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I hear you, but in my opinion cable and satellite TV are much too expensive to begin with. If one has to pay that much just to get TV into our homes, it leaved damn little in the budget for "premium" channels, whose fare is mostly junk (with a few gems scattered about) anyway.

I canceled my TV service completely. When I tell people I have no TV service they are shocked. Haven't missed it at all. Use Netflix for DVD/Blu-rays and streaming.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Sometimes I am really grateful we cheaped out and got limited basic cabal TV.

"cabal TV" .. I like that!

I canceled my TV service completely. When I tell people I have no TV service they are shocked. Haven't missed it at all. Use Netflix for DVD/Blu-rays and streaming.

It's about 2 years since I stopped my TV service and I get a similar reaction. I don't miss it one bit.

Thanks for this Chris.

This is the true golden age of television and there is an extraordinary amount of great programming on, much of it on the premium channels. You can get it from Netflix or wherever later, but I prefer not to wait.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Somebody posts, "Hey check out this new TV show, I think it's funny" followed by a dog pile of "Cable TV sucks." We all know it's expensive, nothing new there.

You guys must be a lot of fun at parties and funerals.......or both.

Saw the opening episode and it is pretty good. Feels like a mash up of Office Space and Entourage in a good way. I will be watching.

I watched it and thought the side characters--the executives, the doctor, the other Hooli drones, etc.--were funnier than the main guys. Except for Erlich, the "incubator" guy--he's pitch perfect. Sad that Christopher Evan Welch, the actor who played venture capitalist Peter Gregory, passed away in December. His character was my favorite from this first episode.

Having worked with and met a lot of the stereotypes portrayed in the show makes all the funnier and blacker for me!

Somebody posts, "Hey check out this new TV show, I think it's funny" followed by a dog pile of "Cable TV sucks."

Well, in the middle, I did check it out (watched the posted video preview), with no negative expectation bias, FWIW.

It wasn't exactly Foyle's War, now was it?

Somebody posts, "Hey check out this new TV show, I think it's funny" followed by a dog pile of "Cable TV sucks."

Well, in the middle, I did check it out (watched the posted video preview), with no negative expectation bias, FWIW.

You like Foyle's War? I think it's middling myself.

Foyle's War is no True Detective.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You bring up a good point. The best TV in the USA are all PBS imports from Ol' Blighty. "Foyles War" was one of the best series ever. Jeremy Brett was Conan Doyle's 19th century Sherlock Holmes. The new series "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch makes that silly CBS effort with a female Watson look absolutely pale by comparison. David Suchet was Hercule Poirot, and the late John Thaw's "Morse" was unbeatable. There are of course many more, but these are the real standouts in my mind. These British series were magnificent, with impeccable production values (especially the period pieces) and great writing and acting. I would likely get rid of my TV reception as well were it not for PBS and their British programming.

George

You bring up a good point. The best TV in the USA are all PBS imports from Ol' Blighty. "Foyles War" was one of the best series ever. Jeremy Brett was Conan Doyle's 19th century Sherlock Holmes. The new series "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch makes that silly CBS effort with a female Watson look absolutely pale by comparison. David Suchet was Hercule Poirot, and the late John Thaw's "Morse" was unbeatable. There are of course many more, but these are the real standouts in my mind. These British series were magnificent, with impeccable production values (especially the period pieces) and great writing and acting. I would likely get rid of my TV reception as well were it not for PBS and their British programming.

That matches our experience exactly. We have to get it for the PBS channels as we get no air signal. In my case it is to keep the British woman happy. I've lost the ability to concentrate and focus on TV.

My fav line of the episode:

"Why is it so expensive here?...it's a shithole"

That is actually surprisingly insightful -- maybe I need to take a closer look.

I finally started watching Breaking Bad. My "dealer" suggested it when I told her I was a chemist. I think it is extremely well done but almost impossible to watch.

That is actually surprisingly insightful -- maybe I need to take a closer look.

I finally started watching Breaking Bad. My "dealer" suggested it when I told her I was a chemist. I think it is extremely well done but almost impossible to watch.

One of these days I intend to watch Breaking Bad, maybe House of Cards. Thinking about trying to get into Game of Thrones, though I've read all the books, so why? Agree with others re the Cumberbatch Sherlock and Thaw's Morse. Doubt any of them will change the fact that my favorite show for decades has been PBS's "Nova." Fox and NatGeo's "Cosmos" has been excellent - hope it gives kids the same air of excitement and mystery about science I had (and still do, come to think of it). Those old Frank Capra Bell Telephone science specials were pretty fabulous, for the handful of you who are, well uhm, old.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

One of these days I intend to watch Breaking Bad, maybe House of Cards. Thinking about trying to get into Game of Thrones, though I've read all the books, so why? Agree with others re the Cumberbatch Sherlock and Thaw's Morse. Doubt any of them will change the fact that my favorite show for decades has been PBS's "Nova." Fox and NatGeo's "Cosmos" has been excellent - hope it gives kids the same air of excitement and mystery about science I had (and still do, come to think of it). Those old Frank Capra Bell Telephone science specials were pretty fabulous, for the handful of you who are, well uhm, old.

House of Cards is superb .. love the cast (Robin Wright is fantastic).

The problem with the "cabal" TV is that you can't eat what you kill.

I have to pay for ESPN, which I do not watch, in order to watch HBO, etc.

It is expensive and it sucks, I will be cutting the cord soon.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

The problem with the "cabal" TV is that you can't eat what you kill.

I have to pay for ESPN, which I do not watch, in order to watch HBO, etc.

It is expensive and it sucks, I will be cutting the cord soon.

ESPN is one of the major problems with cable TV. It won't allow all its ESPN channels to be placed in a Sports package for sport loving users to purchase. Its contract with the cable companies says it must be in the normal packages. Plus, the sports channels are the most expensive. ESPN know many people wouldn't subscribe to its channels if they knew the cost.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png