IGNORED

Disraeli Gears in 24/192 at HDTtracks

Well, I have the MFSL in mono and stereo. Both are great, and a big improvement over earlier releases, including my old vinyl. I like the mono more. Hard for me to believe the HDT will be better. Will be interested to hear from someone who has heard both.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I would agree that the MFSL disc sounds good but I prefer the stereo version. I thought that the mono mix of 'Disraeli Gears' was a fold down from the stereo mix rather than a completely separate mix, as was the case with 'Fresh Cream'. I've heard a rip from the recent Japan SHM SACD release. That sounded good but I did not have the opportunity o compare it with MFSL. I guess the recent work undertaken for the SHM SACD issue was used for the HDtracks release but it would be interesting to hear the views of someone who has purchased from HDtracks. I'll hang fire until then.

I would agree that the MFSL disc sounds good but I prefer the stereo version. I thought that the mono mix of 'Disraeli Gears' was a fold down from the stereo mix rather than a completely separate mix, as was the case with 'Fresh Cream'. I've heard a rip from the recent Japan SHM SACD release. That sounded good but I did not have the opportunity o compare it with MFSL. I guess the recent work undertaken for the SHM SACD issue was used for the HDtracks release but it would be interesting to hear the views of someone who has purchased from HDtracks. I'll hang fire until then.

my information (from enthusiast sites) is that "fresh cream" and "disraeli gears" both have dedicated mono and stereo mixes, and this is what appears on the mofi CD, and is what was originally released. That was the convention in the UK at the time (beatles and stones also did this). Soon after mono mixes stopped being produced.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

That Japanese SHM SACD is a stunner. Betters the gold cd.

+2

This will never sound better. What you hear on the SHM SACD are the pure unfutzed mastertapes...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Okay, based on this thread I located someone with the SHM SACD. Yes, it sounds better than the MFSL CD.

If the 24/192 at HDT is based on this, it will sound great also. But I checked, and e-Onkyo isn't selling this as a hi-res download. Usually they get the hi-res of the Japanese SHM-SACDs before everyone else and sell them as 24/192. So that gives me a clue that maybe the HDT version isn't from the same master.

I guess someone could write HDT and ask them to find out. Probably won't work, but worth a shot.

So, there is apparently agreement that he $60 SHM-SACD sounds great. Returning to the question at hand, can anyone who has heard the 24/192 version comment on the sound quality? Has anyone compared the 24/192 to either the MFSL or SHM-SACD versions? BTW, I see that the 24/192 download is now available from AS Super HiRez as well as HDTracks.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Acoustic Sounds:

Download created from the original analog master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound

So this is a new remaster. Let us know how it sounds.

there is now quite a bit of "new" cream material at acoustic sounds, all of it remastered "from the original analog master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound".

there is now quite a bit of "new" cream material at acoustic sounds, all of it remastered "from the original analog master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound".

The booklets of the recent "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels of Fire" SHM-CDs (and SHM-SACD for the former title) state "DSD flat transferred from analogue master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, NY, in 2013."

The booklets of the recent "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels of Fire" SHM-CDs (and SHM-SACD for the former title) state "DSD flat transferred from analogue master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, NY, in 2013."

So that makes it sound like he did 2 tranfers, one to hi-res PCM, and one to DSD, no? Otherwise both PCM and DSD versions couldn't be "from the original analog master tapes".

But we should be aware that AS has in the past mistakenly taken the provenance of an SACD and copied over to the digital download, and then had to correct themselves afterwards.

Again, maybe I will just write them and ask.

ProStudioMasters - Audio Uncompromised™ - High-Resolution Audio Downloads

Enter code at checkout for 10% off → PEARLS

10% discount applied to all albums not already on sale. Expires 11:59 PM (EDT) April 16, 2014

they have the entire new Cream hi-res catalog.

Firedog,

Thanks for the heads up w/ProStudio. I didn't know they were around. I've got all the Gold disc versions for Cream output be it MFSL or DCC. The DCC Wheels is my Go-to. It being one of my favorite albums I'm curious how this download is. Any step forward and I'm in! I've got to wait and see the results though because of DD>Download Disappointment.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Firedog,

Thanks for the heads up w/ProStudio. I didn't know they were around. I've got all the Gold disc versions for Cream output be it MFSL or DCC. The DCC Wheels is my Go-to. It being one of my favorite albums I'm curious how this download is. Any step forward and I'm in! I've got to wait and see the results though because of DD>Download Disappointment.

I'm in the same boat as you. Some of my favorite albums, but I've already bought them several times and have the MFSL/DCC versions, which are the best ones I've heard till now. But I did hear the SHM-SACD of Disraeli Gears and thought it was better than the MFSL one.

I'm waiting a few days to see if HDT comes up with more of the catalog, as I have a 15% off coupon from them. If not, I will probably try "Live Cream Volume 2" from ProStudio, as it's one of my favorites (I think it was the first album I owned that I bought with my own money) and I'll use it to test if these remasters are worth the money and additional time.

Looks like they are going to add it. I went to do a search on their site and Wheels and Live showed up on the search drop down but nada there yet. I love Disraeli but like you own the MFSL plus not exactly a sonic trove so I'm on the fence. I love the Live Vol II as well. Got the MFSL of that one.

Allman Brothers Live is one of my favorite and in top ten and I made the mistake of buying an HDT version when it came out and it sucks. Its like they cut the bass and impact right out of it. MFSL gold disc still my go-to on that as well. I keep hoping for a HR version to slay all others even if its in the details.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Looks like they are going to add it. I went to do a search on their site and Wheels and Live showed up on the search drop down but nada there yet. I love Disraeli but like you own the MFSL plus not exactly a sonic trove so I'm on the fence. I love the Live Vol II as well. Got the MFSL of that one.

Allman Brothers Live is one of my favorite and in top ten and I made the mistake of buying an HDT version when it came out and it sucks. Its like they cut the bass and impact right out of it. MFSL gold disc still my go-to on that as well. I keep hoping for a HR version to slay all others even if its in the details.

If you upgrade to DSD at some point try the SACD/DSD of the Live at Fillmore. It is really good. Also there is this CD, Amazon.com: The Fillmore Concerts: Music

which not many people know about but is a different edit and mix of the same tapes as the original Fillmore East album by the Allmans' same producer. I like it better, actually.

I can confirm, that the HDTracks Mastering (which is none in this case) is the same as the Platinum SHM-SACD. The only difference is that the SACD also contains the Monomix. So, I can recommend this download... Best stereo version for sure.

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Wrote acoustic sounds asking the source of the PCM hi-res version vs SHM-SACD/CD. Asked if the "original master tapes" were used to produce separate PCM and DSD masters, or if one digital master was derived from the other, since both say they were sourced from "analogue master tapes by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound". Here is the answer I received:

We have have sent an email to the label inquiring as to how the files were sourced we will have an answer for you soon. Thank you for you patience.

I will update you when I get a further reply. Kudos to AS for relating to the question. HDT doesn't have a track record of relating seriously to these kind of enquiries.