IGNORED

sotm TX-USB PCIe external power question

If I choose to power the sotm PCIe card from an external power source do I need to disconnect anything inside the server or can I just plug it in and go?

Thanks.

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Yes, you shouldn't need the Molex (at least according to the SOtM people). If you search SOtM threads, I posted about a year ago, a whole thread of instructions that they gave me. See here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/rough-guide-how-use-soul-music-mbps-d2s-double-battery-charger-16098/

Thanks for the link, Mike...very helpful. I ran my sotm last night both with the molex connector attached and unattached. I could not tell a difference so will reconnect it tonight.

Thanks edn4x4...I tried it with your suggestion yesterday.

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but was hoping for some info on the SOTM USB PCIe external power input specs. The info I saw stated, "6~9v 2 amp max". What is the min current required? Also, what is the polarity of the card's 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD jack? I wanted to try an Acopian 8V .7amp supply and Jesus replied, ".7 amps is out of spec. You should try the SOTM battery supply". Well, not everyone is going to the matching external supply. If you are selling a device that can be externally powered, clear specs should be provided. The SOTM bat supply is 9V @1.5A, would 1 amp work? 1.2A??? No reply yet from Jesus. Thanks in advance for any help.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I know this is an old thread but was hoping for some info on the SOTM USB PCIe external power input specs. The info I saw stated, "6~9v 2 amp max". What is the min current required? Also, what is the polarity of the card's 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD jack? I wanted to try an Acopian 8V .7amp supply and Jesus replied, ".7 amps is out of spec. You should try the SOTM battery supply". Well, not everyone is going to the matching external supply. If you are selling a device that can be externally powered, clear specs should be provided. The SOTM bat supply is 9V @1.5A, would 1 amp work? 1.2A??? No reply yet from Jesus. Thanks in advance for any help.

you're right that the specs on the web site say 2A but the mbps-d2s only puts out 1.5A. i can tell you that the mbps works just fine with the card.

if you tried to use a power supply that couldn't provide enough current, some combination of the power supply burning up and the card not working are possible.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
you're right that the specs on the web site say 2A but the mbps-d2s only puts out 1.5A. i can tell you that the mbps works just fine with the card.

if you tried to use a power supply that couldn't provide enough current, some combination of the power supply burning up and the card not working are possible.

Thanks. Not sure what the mbps is putting out, but again all the more reason for the spec. How do you know you have enough power for the USB card?. IMO, I would think more current would be less of a problem since the card should use what it needs. But again, there's that 2A max current spec.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

Thanks. Not sure what the mbps is putting out, but again all the more reason for the spec. How do you know you have enough power for the USB card?. IMO, I would think more current would be less of a problem since the card should use what it needs. But again, there's that 2A max current spec.

the rating for the power supply is not the amount that it puts out all of the time, but the maximum amount it can put out. the power supply will try to provide the current that the circuit asks for. so if you have a power supply rated at 2 amps, that means it can put out up to 2 amps, but it can easily do less if that's all the circuit requires.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
the rating for the power supply is not the amount that it puts out all of the time, but the maximum amount it can put out. the power supply will try to provide the current that the circuit asks for. so if you have a power supply rated at 2 amps, that means it can put out up to 2 amps, but it can easily do less if that's all the circuit requires.

Yes, completely understand and agree. That's why you nee the min current required for the USB card so you can know what may sustainable current is required for whatever PS you might purchase.

Yes, completely understand and agree. That's why you nee the min current required for the USB card so you can know what may sustainable current is required for whatever PS you might purchase.

The minimum current you need to supply depends also on whether the USB device you attach uses power from the USB port and how much. USB 3.0 can supply up to 1.5A if i'm not mistaken.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948