IGNORED

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR loudspeakers

Decided to put together a system for my workspace. Grabbed a few components from storage and off I went to Best Buy to purchase these speakers today. This system is designed primarily for internet radio play. Here's what I decided on:

• Pioneer SP-BS22-LR loudspeakers

• Response Audio Ram 301 Integrated (heavily modified Jolida hybrid)

• Musical Fidelity V-DAC (1st generation)

• Apple TV2

• Dell monitor

• Assorted cheap cables

I listened only for a couple of hours and I must say these speakers are really terrific for the price. Haven't a clue how long they will take to settle in but they sound pretty good right out of the box. I bought them after reading much of the great press about them, including this review in Stereophile .. Pioneer SP-BS22-LR loudspeaker | Stereophile.com. It's quite refreshing to spend so little for such great sound.

I've listened to them. They're pretty darn good esp. given the price. You don't need to pay a bomb to enjoy excellent sound quality. My work space system is not a lot more complicated than yours with airmotiv 4 speakers and an audioengine d1 dac.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I've listened to them. They're pretty darn good esp. given the price. You don't need to pay a bomb to enjoy excellent sound quality. My work space system is not a lot more complicated than yours with airmotiv 4 speakers and an audioengine d1 dac.

I originally started my search with powered speakers. The airmotive line seems to be excellent .. how do you like yours?

Sweet setup! Those speakers are absolutely amazing, especially at their very affordable price point. :)

Thanks Paul. The price was irresistible. Kind of nice to put some of the old gear to work again too.

Well done, Melvin!

I have two sets of these, one for work & one for the front porch.

Been using them for years, long before the article was written.

I added some poly-fill damping material to tighten the bottom end up just a bit.

Not at the level of the Pioneer's, obviously, but quite a value at just under $40 US.

Visitors are often amazed at their performance.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Well done, Melvin!

I have two sets of these, one for work & one for the front porch.

Been using them for years, long before the article was written.

I added some poly-fill damping material to tighten the bottom end up just a bit.

Not at the level of the Pioneer's, obviously, but quite a value at just under $40 US.

Visitors are often amazed at their performance.

Thanks Bill. Amazing what $40 can buy. You can pick up 3 pairs of the Dayton's for what I paid for the Pioneers! Nice.

Just read this review of the Pioneers: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers - NO Audiophile!

A co-worker & fellow 'phile got a set of the Pioneer's when they first cam out.

I have not heard them, but my fiend does a good job of describing their character.

Based on that, you should be quite pleased.

At times, it almost seems an impossibility to find a true value in this hobby. ;)

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my little modified Jolida was not behaving and will need to have some service, so I decided to purchase a Dayton Audio DTA-120 to replace it. This is the latest iteration of their Class-T (60 WPC) amp. This is one sweet little, and I mean tiny, amp. I'm simply amazed with this very inexpensive system I put together.

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier 60 WPC