IGNORED

2 Pc server setup - basic description of what's involved

Hi-

Searched here and at the jplay forum, but can't find a straightforward explanation of what's involved in the control+audio pc setup. Is there something like a basic outline somewhere that doesn't go into endless detail? The various forum threads all seem to talk about the details, and assume the basic setup is already known.

Thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm also starting to look into this. My understanding is you have the controlPC with access to wifi or with internal drive with the music, a JRiver or some player in it and JPlay, an ethernet cable to an audioPC with only the OS/Jplay in the drive and connected to the DAC. Not clear if audioPC needs JRiver as well.

Not sure if this helps much, but You did ask for basic explanation! :-)

Hi-

Searched here and at the jplay forum, but can't find a straightforward explanation of what's involved in the control+audio pc setup. Is there something like a basic outline somewhere that doesn't go into endless detail? The various forum threads all seem to talk about the details, and assume the basic setup is already known.

Thanks

Phil has a great guide on his site that walks thru a 2PC setup, and his software is a no brainer for optimization of the setup once you're there. The JPlay forum also has build recommendations for the 2 computers to the extent you're still in the process of adding one or both. The thread for the audiophile optimizer also has plenty of suggestions as well.

Highend-AudioPC

There are various ways to set the 2 servers up but I use the simplest which is join the 2 servers with an ethernet cable and have no router or NAS involved. The control PC has SSD and/or compact flash storage and that does the main work, the audio PC has the PPA card - I had one build with just an m-sata drive, mini-itx mb,cpu and usb card and was basically a large empty case. I've put a build together though where the 2 servers are virtually identical as they are both equally important.

You can find it under Spacebar if you want to look at the specification and I've also got the relevant part of the Jplay manual there.