IGNORED

Sunflower (Mac OS)

pooger

After a web search, I understand what Sunflower is. I'm not sure at what point it started to appear in my audio devices list, I know I never directly installed it.

A month or so ago, I installed Mavericks. I have had random crashes, where not only does Audirvana quit, but my user logs out, and I lose connection to my server also. I have not known what to attribute this to, as under 10.8.x everything just ran with no problems. The crashes seem to be random. But I've seen references to problems with Mavericks and Sunflower. I'll list my set up below.

My question is—is there any reason for me to keep Soundflower running? Do other apps use it? I run either off my internal drive (as two users, one dedicated to audio, and the second dedicated to video, since the mini acts as an internet video "server" connected via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver, then onto a Kuro monitor) or off an SD card, just as a single (audio only user). As audio only, the only apps I run are iTunes (occasionally, but generally in this mode its A+ in solo mode), Audirvana, Audio/Midi, and Preferences. For Video, I also run Safari and Chrome, along with Sophos and Chronosync.

Synology (v5)>> Airport Extreme>> 2012 Mac Mini (I5, 16G ram)>> Buffalo IIIse DAC (w WaveIO)>> direct to amp and speakers. More often than not I use Splashtop and run the Mini headless for audio only.

Soundflower?

Some stuff will install it, like some iPad VNC programs.

If you don't use it, get rid of it.

Do this:

1. Open up the terminal.

2. Issue the command

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext

3. Reboot

Splashtop installs it unless you tell it not to during the installation period. The only reason you would want it is so you can have remote audio with your remote video. So just remove it, assuming you only use splashtop for a remote control.

Soundflower?

Some stuff will install it, like some iPad VNC programs.

If you don't use it, get rid of it.

Do this:

1. Open up the terminal.

2. Issue the command

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext

3. Reboot

Thanks wgs, but you'd better give me the exact type-in words once Terminal is open! Or, have you already ...

Also, is there a space after the "k" before the "ext"?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

'space' question answered!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.