IGNORED

Jriver Unable to Play Sample Rates Higher Than 48000

JohnPA

Hello, first post here. Using Jriver 19, I can't get output sample rates higher than 48k going via USB (rear connection) to my Marantz SA8005. All works well until I play a hi-res file sampled higher than 48k. Makes no difference whether using ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel. I have all outputs set to "No Change" from the input rate. From Windows control panel I have the exclusive mode options checked. I can't think of anything else to try. (One observation: If I open the Marantz ASIO driver control panel there is a sample rate selection box (greyed out) that shows 48000.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello, first post here. Using Jriver 19, I can't get output sample rates higher than 48k going via USB (rear connection) to my Marantz SA8005. All works well until I play a hi-res file sampled higher than 48k. Makes no difference whether using ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel. I have all outputs set to "No Change" from the input rate. From Windows control panel I have the exclusive mode options checked. I can't think of anything else to try. (One observation: If I open the Marantz ASIO driver control panel there is a sample rate selection box (greyed out) that shows 48000.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Just a stupid question: but you do have the driver installed don't you? Might be worth removing the driver and reinstalling too.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/UK/Marantz_Whitepaper_PC-Audio_NA-11S1.pdf might be of interest too if you've not already read it.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Does your Windows Sound control panel look like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11718[/ATTACH]

Jriver Panel should be Marantz ASIO driver selected. The "No changes are correct".

For DSD add Bitstream from None(default) to DSD.

That is a good point, I noticed the manual has a screenshot like the one you posted. However, my Windows control panel does NOT have that many sample rate selections in the pull down box. It only has the ones for 44100 and 48000.

When a hires file is playing, check JRiver's information panel, it will give you the sampling frequency of the file it plays. If it indicates 96kHz, then it is playing 96kHz. The Marantz should tell you this as well, I don't have the manual to hand to verify.

The Windows control panel is only used for sharing mode, Jriver normally overrides the setting and uses what you specify in the Jriver DSP panel. I have a Sony PHA-2 DAC HP amp with their ASIO driver, and it doesn't even show up at all in the Sound panel at all, but still works.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

OP found the problem. He was using a USB Isolator on his long USB cable (hum), which is now bandwidth limited to 48k. He closed the loop on his same thread on Asylum but didn't do it here, so I thought I would do it for him. I mean, we are trying to get educated from experiences like this. I wish folks would close the loop!

He needs to either get his pc closer to the DAC (Marantz), or deal with the hum some other way (maybe shielded cable or maybe its a 5V issue from USB power, which could be tested with tape trick, etc).

OP found the problem. He was using a USB Isolator on his long USB cable (hum), which is now bandwidth limited to 48k. He closed the loop on his same thread on Asylum but didn't do it here, so I thought I would do it for him. I mean, we are trying to get educated from experiences like this. I wish folks would close the loop!

He needs to either get his pc closer to the DAC (Marantz), or deal with the hum some other way (maybe shielded cable or maybe its a 5V issue from USB power, which could be tested with tape trick, etc).

Thanks, ted_b for closing the loop here, I meant to come back over and do just that.

Yes, my next move is to get the PC closer to the DAC, which is easy enough, just been too lazy to do it. I'll look into the "tape trick."