Anyone using this streaming service from France? I downloaded the free 7d trial this streams in'lossy' 320kbps mp3 and sound even better than MOG. I tried to buy a monthly subscription of the 'hifi' version that streams in 'lossless' FLAC 16/44. Yet each time i hit paypal it reverts to top of the ad webpage any suggestions? bobbmd [email protected]

I think the CD quality streaming is currently available only to french customers.

According what Qobuz officials said at CES they want/will expand this service from this spring season to several european countries first. Not sure about US.

Maybe you can try Wimp from Norway, they offer Wimp HiFi for 9,99 EUR/month here in Germany for 44/16 streaming including offline (temporary) storage. I am using this service and have no need for Qobuz or Spotify ...

(No idea whether Wimp uses regional restrictions or not ...)

i'm using it in the US- sounds very good in FLAC. worlds better than Spotify, Mog, et al, and better than the 320k output from Qobuz.

i've found if you write their customer service and ask nicely, they'll make your account available outside france.

woodford: thanks for the reply-i have asked them several times and very nicely. i have tried both Google Chrome and SAFARI yet get the same results yet when i hit 'buy(ie download) this album' it works-i will keep trying-i even tried using France as my 'home' country still no go. how did you do it? bobbmd [email protected]

If you are really set on doing this you could use a IP location redirection service. This will make your IP address look like it is somewhere else (i.e. France). I have not used these services but have several friends who swear by them. If in fact the service is causing problems because you are not on a French IP address something like this would fix that problem. Of course, your billing address might be another problem.

If you are really set on doing this you could use a IP location redirection service. This will make your IP address look like it is somewhere else (i.e. France). I have not used these services but have several friends who swear by them. If in fact the service is causing problems because you are not on a French IP address something like this would fix that problem. Of course, your billing address might be another problem.

Excuse my ignorance, but would that be the same thing as creating a VPN? I have this "smart router" and this has me thinking if there's a way I can do this.

Great question and definitely not ignorant. It not like creating your own VPN but using someone elses where that someone else is in France.

So, if your smart router is located in, for example, France, you could set it up as a VPN there and then connect to it from anywhere in the world. Then your IP address would look like you are in France. Unfortunately, it would need to actually be in France to look like it was in France. There are companies out there that for a small fee will do just this for you to a large list of countries. The VPN adds a small overhead so your bandwidth goes down a bit.

I have friends in Asia and Europe that do this so that they can look like they are in the US (mainly for online ordering of stuff not available outside the US). Also have friends in the US who want to look like they are in Europe (mostly for watching video broadcasts). I used a free sample of a service during the Olympics to watch the opening ceremonies live from in the US by connecting to the BBC live broadcast through a UK based VPN.

yep did that and saw my son sitting behind the usa bench during the russian- usa- hockey game! sort of did that with qobuz BUT they did it for me am now listening in lossless 16/44.1 FLAC-but it may not last long when my CFO sees the bill,she may say it's curtains for me! but it sounds wonderful the SQ separation bass is extraordinary better than MOG, spotify, and definitely better than BMi.e.BeatsMusic( bm being apt acronym)-bobbmd

Yep boatheelmusic that is exactly what I did and it works beautifully only drawback is there are certain albums like Dylans Mono recordings and The Bands Last Waltz are only one minute snippets nor is The Bands Musical History not available at all and there is only ONE Bobby Charles album available(but its the most important one the supposed 'lost' Band album).In my search for that i found someone i never heard of Mick Charles.

I am sure these missing albums and ones with only a minute of music will improve with time.

I also find listening to some of French jazz/blues albums enlightening as well some American

artists and those I know have albums i didnt know existed for example The Band at Watkins Glen NEVER knew it existed what a find my parents wouldnt let me go! bobbmd

• 3 weeks later...

I find the Sq was suprerior to Spotify, shame that the price is so high!

I have issues running wasapi exclusive (shown as exlusive in the app - their typo), there is lots of crackling when playing any audio.

For my set up I'm using a Musical Fidelity M1a dac via Usb, not had any issues at all with jriver using wasapi ex. Crackling is in Qobuz only.

I have to set my Usb dac device as default as I have an internal sound card, otherwise there will be no audio, even if I set the dac as the sound output in Qobuz settings..

Has anybody any tips to combat these issues? Thanks.

Sorry to read this. My experiences with Qobuz are very positive. Why not contact them and give their customer service a chance to respond?

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

I enjoy Qobuz and find the sound quality noticeably better than Spotify.I know that the catalogue is smaller than Spotify but this is increasing but Qobuz appears to put quality ahead of quantity.I think Spotify just adds any old crap so it can say it has the largest catalogue.I play Qobuz through Vortexbox using the LMS app. I predominantly listen to classical and jazz. My friend runs the same app through his Devialet/Martin Logan system and the improvements in sound quality are very obvious. I do fell that it is unnecessarily expensive though.

Ste

I downloaded two albums on the weekend in WMA lossless. One of which was a studio master, the other a regular redbook.

Both sound crap, no depth, no magic, just upsampled mp3, 128k, I will lay odds.

Not recommended, will not use Qobuz again.

Not my experience. The tracks I have streamed have been true FLAC and sound great !

the Studio Masters I have purchased from Qobuz have been subtly better than Redbook, but not night and day, it hardly ever is

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

• 1 month later...