IGNORED

What is "better" sound to you?

Finally, Paul McGown published an interesting take on voicing equipment in his blog today. Coincidentally or not, it echoes a lot of the subjects being discussed on CA now. One point in particular resonated with me. In talking about a PreAmp they designed, they accidentally discovered that putting a bigger power supply in it improved the sound. Exactly how it improved, I do not know.

I always use larger power supplies than necessary, and preferably a separate PSU for each channel where possible, with vastly improved low noise and low Z regulated power to amplifier front ends. In DACs I try to use separate transformers and PSU PCBs for both the digital and analogue areas too. I would expect that the audible improvements would be difficult to measure though.

Even seemingly silly little touches, such as ensuring that 0 volt PSU leads are of similar low resistance to both channels, despite one channel perhaps being located at twice the distance from the PSU PCBs in a high quality Class A preamp can result in a worthwhile SQ improvement. I tried that in a Class A preamp which had spare 0 volt terminals available at the amplifier module and the PSU PCB , when I tried adding an additional parallel wire to the further away module. Did I expect any audible improvement ? Of course not ! It didn't seem to make much sense when both 0 volt leads were already at least 7.5A rated

I am also reminded of John Swenson's obvious embarrassment at not being able to explain perceived SQ improvements when he connected up the little Kelvin Sense PCB to his new low noise and well regulated linear PSU for the Mac Mini.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Exactly!

Subjectivist in a search for tangeable enjoyment more than objectivists.......with analytic procedures less scientific in their approach, but sometimes better suited to the individual purpose........but analyze they do!

Sometimes it helps if you are also able to think "outside the square" too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020