IGNORED

What is "better" sound to you?

I agree with the previous poster that good sound primarily involves an emotional response to the music. More important than impressive specifications is what is often referred to as "musicality". IMO, much of today's high end equipment, in its quest for ultimate resolution, produces sound that induces listening fatigue after a short while. I find this to be true of far too many expensive speakers that I have listened to at RMAF the last few years. In contrast, Paul, I believe that perhaps the main reason you like the Advent speakers so much is because they don't suffer from that characteristic.

To me, good sound especially involves capturing the true timbre of instruments, such as the wood as well as the metal strings of an acoustic guitar. Rhythm and pace are other fundamentals of music that, IMO, are far more important than extreme detail. The latter, when excessive, can often can end up sounding analytic, the antithesis of becoming involved with or connected to the music.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

better to me = sound I like more.

I could be wrong, but I think that was assumed in the initial question. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Paul is trying too hard to apply objective analysis to a purely subjective experience.

Careful now. The objectivists may be listening.