IGNORED

UK Copyright Exemptions introduced

This is good news as UK Gov has introduce legislation to set in law "fair usage" rights for UK consumers.

Intellectual Property Office - Changes to copyright law and guidance

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copyright-guidance-consumers.pdf

From the second link a question many people ask...

Am I able to give away or resell media, such as CDs, that I

have made personal copies from?

Yes, but you will infringe copyright if you retain any personal copies that you have made. Therefore, if you wish to give away or sell a CD you should first delete any personal copies you have made from it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"Intellectual Property Office"

Really! Do they have agents wearing black suits and black sunglasses that come to your home with a warrant to check your hard drives? Right or wrong, it would seem that these are laws that might be hard to prosecute.

I have never sold a CD, DVD, VHS tape, Downloaded file , nor have ever bought any from anyone. I have never heard of any laws against selling a used vinyl record.

Silly Law!

"Intellectual Property Office"

"Office" is just a British term for a government department. It fits with Home Office; Foreign Office and Her Majesties Stationary Office.

Really! Do they have agents wearing black suits and black sunglasses that come to your home with a warrant to check your hard drives? Right or wrong, it would seem that these are laws that might be hard to prosecute.

I'd rather it was prosecuted as a crime rather than being sued in a civil case...

I have never sold a CD, DVD, VHS tape, Downloaded file , nor have ever bought any from anyone. I have never heard of any laws against selling a used vinyl record.

It's not illegal to sell a vinyl (or other recording). It's (still) illegal to keep a copy of if you sell the vinyl original.

Silly Law!

Actually I think (generally) copyright laws are quite sensible - if you want to listen to a recording of something you must buy a copy of it. It was the application of the laws which is silly along with over zealous prosecutions.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Actually I think (generally) copyright laws are quite sensible - if you want to listen to a recording of something you must buy a copy of it. It was the application of the laws which is silly along with over zealous prosecutions.

Not to mention the devastating effect that piracy has had on the recording industry. Most of the labels are small shells of their former selves. Of course, the industry's response and failure to adapt was a major factor in its decline as well.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Not to mention the devastating effect that piracy has had on the recording industry. Most of the labels are small shells of their former selves. Of course, the industry's response and failure to adapt was a major factor in its decline as well.

Well they do say that piracy is to blame, but equally noteworthy is the industry's resistance change. They've had to be pushed and shoved into the 21st century. The New York Times says that "global sales rose last year for the first time since 1999." According to that article, the industry's peak revenue (globally) was $38 billion.

As of last year all labels combined pulled in $16.5 billion. The article says, "Had the music industry been more open to change in 1999, some analysts say they believe, it might not have taken more than a decade to get to this stage." And that's certainly how it has seemed to me as well.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Well they do say that piracy is to blame, but equally noteworthy is the industry's resistance change. They've had to be pushed and shoved into the 21st century.

Agreed. Which is why I concluded with, "Of course, the industry's response and failure to adapt was a major factor in its decline as well". :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Unethical consumers are pirates, unethical record companies are capitalists.

May I suggest that you add the word "greedy" before "capitalists". :)