IGNORED

ESS Sabre and DSD Volume Control

I have read through multiple threads and have not found a definitive answer. So, I thought I would start a new thread, but just to get a specific answer. It isn't my intention to open another long thread that goes off topic with arguments over the merits of different formats, etc.

I just want to know once and for all how the ESS chips process DSD, specifically DSD volume control. I have read that in the ESS chips DSD is converted to PCM first. I have read that no, it is not converted to PCM, that it stays in Delta Sigma all the way, albeit multi-bit.

Either way, the ESS chip does volume control on DSD. Volume control is typically (and I assume most easily done) in the PCM domain. Volume control can be done in SDM too, though.

So which is it? Does the ESS do volume control for DSD in PCM, or does it do it in Delta Sigma?

First of all, I should say it's merely my speculation as ESS Tech company has published no technical documents that reveal any exact internal configuration details for a DSD play.

As you may have already known, ES9018 has a FIR OSF and a multi-level delta-sigma modulator (65 level output in default) and 64 1-bit switches.

No DSD play is available when you turn-off OSF.

Therefore, the volume control function is likely to be implemented with the FIR. This indicates a possible involvement of multi-level representation of sound intensity values after FIR.

However, it might not directly mean a usual PCM format.

Anyway, re-delta-sigma modulation to 65 levels must be essential.

Bunpei

I suspect that it is NOT pcm... I do think it is a multibit differential bitstream for volume control. As long as it is still an equivalent or greater sample rate differential signal, it is still "DSD" as far as I am concerned. What does concern me, though, is the state of the original 1 bit DSD signal after DSP and re-modulation.

First of all, I should say it's merely my speculation as ESS Tech company has published no technical documents that reveal any exact internal configuration details for a DSD play.

As you may have already known, ES9018 has a FIR OSF and a multi-level delta-sigma modulator (65 level output in default) and 64 1-bit switches.

No DSD play is available when you turn-off OSF.

Therefore, the volume control function is likely to be implemented with the FIR. This indicates a possible involvement of multi-level representation of sound intensity values after FIR.

However, it might not directly mean a usual PCM format.

Anyway, re-delta-sigma modulation to 65 levels must be essential.

Bunpei

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf

look at section 3, this will give you an insight of what's going on.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Here is John Siau's explanation of how DSD volume control is done in the Benchmark DAC2. The DAC2 uses the ES9018 DAC chip.

MW: How do you handle volume control in that final output stage? Do you convert to analog and then turn it up and down.

JS: We actually don’t. We do process that at the high sample rate and we have multiple 1-bit converters that are available to us. So the increase in word length that we get as a function of that volume control makes use of the redundant 1-bit converters that we have running in parallel.

MW: I see.

JS: So we’re not converting it…in a way you could look at that as if it’s PCM because there’s multiple 1-bit converters summed together in the analog domain. But that’s what you have to do to get volume control to work. The good thing is we don’t take it from 1-bit to multi-bit and back to 1-bit before we convert it to analog.

MW: Yep, as you were saying before.

JS: Instead of sending identical DSD signals to sixteen balanced 1-bit converters that are wired in parallel, we start sending different DSD signals to reduce the signal amplitude. All summing occurs in the analog domain. It is very cool!

Russ

I am trying to understand all of this with the mind of a layman. My limited understanding is this.. .(and I THINK that is what he is saying)

DSD is a differential signal. 1 is full voltage/volume. 0 is zero voltage/volume. If I have a stream of 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 the average of that is a 50 percent signal.

If I convert DSD to a multi bit system, (call it PCM, muti bit delta sigma, hybrid PCM/DSM, whatever you want) I can covert that 50 percent signal to say, 25 percent. 32 bit is full. 16 bit is half voltage. So a 16 bit pulse followed by 0, etc. etc... you get a 25 percent level signal.

I think the problem with it is, I think, is the same as with any digital volume control. You significantly reduce the resolution of signal while the noise level stays the same. Now, the audible effects? I don't know about that.

Here is John Siau's explanation of how DSD volume control is done in the Benchmark DAC2. The DAC2 uses the ES9018 DAC chip.

MW: How do you handle volume control in that final output stage? Do you convert to analog and then turn it up and down.

JS: We actually don’t. We do process that at the high sample rate and we have multiple 1-bit converters that are available to us. So the increase in word length that we get as a function of that volume control makes use of the redundant 1-bit converters that we have running in parallel.

MW: I see.

JS: So we’re not converting it…in a way you could look at that as if it’s PCM because there’s multiple 1-bit converters summed together in the analog domain. But that’s what you have to do to get volume control to work. The good thing is we don’t take it from 1-bit to multi-bit and back to 1-bit before we convert it to analog.

MW: Yep, as you were saying before.

JS: Instead of sending identical DSD signals to sixteen balanced 1-bit converters that are wired in parallel, we start sending different DSD signals to reduce the signal amplitude. All summing occurs in the analog domain. It is very cool!

Russ

If I convert DSD to a multi bit system, (call it PCM, muti bit delta sigma, hybrid PCM/DSM, whatever you want) I can covert that 50 percent signal to say, 25 percent. 32 bit is full. 16 bit is half voltage. So a 16 bit pulse followed by 0, etc. etc... you get a 25 percent level signal.

And that works only if you are fine each step of volume dropping level to exactly half. So with Sabre's 64 1-bit converters you would have 36 dB volume control range in 6 dB steps (6 steps). If you do it PCM way.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Therein lies my misunderstanding, Miska. Thanks for chiming in, though. I respect your thoughts on DSD immensely.

Now, I understand what you are saying if the volume control is done in they DS converter. But per my example done in DSP before the converter, if you had each pulse rendered in 32 bits, you could use any number of levels. You could use 30, 29, 28 and everything in between.... and you would still be left with a differential signal.

It seems to me this should work. But I don't know. Futhermore, I think the only people that know what is going on in the ESS chip have signed an NDA and aren't talking!

But isn't my idea a good one though? Come on, why cant someone build a 32 bit DSM?? A 4 million plus level modulator would do the trick well!!

4 billion... It would need just 4 billion 1-bit converters and have about four times the number of transistors the latest Core i7 CPU has... :)

24-bit would be 16.8 million.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

What is your final understanding after discussions and comments here?

Digital volume SUCKS! Why be cheap? Get a real preamp.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers