IGNORED

Sick and tired of music player hardware manufacturers? Vote and rant here...

While not included in the preloaded app package, you can also install MinimServer on the HS-210 if you want to stream DSD files over DLNA to your DSD-capable network player.

AFAIK, MinimServer doesn't claim DLNA compliance. It only indirectly says it is UPnP AV compliant:

About UPnP AV

(UPnP certification also costs $$$)

P.S. As clarification, DLNA is very restricted subset of UPnP AV.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just to add MinimServer now serves DSD files (both stereo and multichannel) to the Oppo 103/105. That is with the latest Oppo firmware: Just not gaplessly. I am lead to believe this remains an issue with Oppo. Be interesting to know what it does with the Onkyo's. I'm hoping things will just be fine with the Auralic lightning...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Just to add MinimServer serves DSD files (both stereo and multichannel) to the Oppo 103/105. Just not gaplessly. I am lead to believe this remains an issue with Oppo. Be interesting to know what it does with the Onkyo's. in hoping things will just be fine with the Aurlic lightning...

"The free Onkyo remote app for iOS and Android devices locates and streams network-attached hi-res tracks via DLNA. Both receivers feature gapless playback of almost any high-resolution file format including 5.6 MHz DSD, Dolby TrueHD, 192 kHz/24-bit FLAC and WAV, and ALAC to 96 kHz and 24-bit depth."

Onkyo launching Ultra HD Compatible AV Receivers | AVForums

^ great. Thanks for that. Wonder why they would restrict ALAC to 24/96? LOL! This is a classic case of what I'm talking about !!!!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Over the years seems to me the hardware players have got this all wrong..

I'm tired of *them* telling me what file type can /can't play on/via their device..

Worse still *them* throwing their spin on "why" you would want to play (that) file, when (this) file/resolution sounds so much better?

Know what? ... who gives a rats?

Frankly who gives a toss what the manufacturers think?

Why do we have to put up with this crap?

Fact is there are now dozens of different available file types.. ranging from low rez up to 24/192 and DSD and beyond.

The manufacturers have got to get over this and start to produce "universal" players or streamers that play EVERYTHING..

"well *this* file type won't play" just doesn;t cut it for me any more...

Would consumers put up with this nonsense with TV channels?

"Sorry, this TV only picks up stations in the following (limited) frequency band..

Know what?

Get over it hardware industry and start producing players that play everything..

Linn... you are a prime offender..

And so are you Sonos, and every other streamer and player out there..

Take your plumb out of your mouths, stop being so condescending and accept change and the fact that consumers might want equipment that can handle everything..

Cheers

This can't be quite right. If there were a demand, the products would be rolling out. This is a small slice (audiophiles who want hi res streaming devices) of a very small market (people who are willing to pay serious cake to listen to music, err I mean audiophiles). Btw, redbook sounds pretty good and I don't know of any streaming device that doesn't do redbook . . . . Just sayin.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Hiro, I nominate you to be the first to try the new Onkyo with MinimServer! You can be the crash test dummy this time. :)

Yep. Bikemeg, I was waiting for a reply like this, so I've got this argument covered...LOL! My whole point is you won't *get* the demand unless you have the universality. Its a chicken before the egg situation. You won't get the chickens before you have the eggs.... And the right egg in this situation contains *all* the files...

Thanks, but no thanks ;)

I'm looking for a stand-alone DSD Network Player....

So am I my friend. So am I !!!

You know bikemeg, this is the classic argument Sonos rolls out time and again. But take a look on their forums at the request for hirez. I started that request like 4 or more years ago and it has become the no one feature request on that forum. The thread with the most hits and most posts. Yet the company still denies its an issue with customers. Sure sales still might be rising, but the point is who are Sonos to tell their customers "nobody needs anything more than red book". It's none of their business to have this attitude. Let customers decide. (And they eventually will) It's a classic case of Ostrich head in the sand IMHO. ...

The Sonos attitude should be: "We understand customers might wish to stream all their files and all possible formats. We are doing our utmost to make this happen via Sonos and Sonosnet. Unfortunately technology and our product line up doesn't allow this right now. We are endevouring to make this happen, and we"ll keep you posted" ...but instead we get this " *we* know what's best for you" attitude. That's what gets up my nose with the whole industry...

Re the Onkyo TX-NR636: Is there an Integra equivalent? Cheers..

You know bikemeg, this is the classic argument Sonos rolls out time and again. But take a look on their forums at the request for hirez. I started that request like 4 or more years ago and it has become the no one feature request on that forum. The thread with the most hits and most posts. Yet the company still denies its an issue with customers. Sure sales still might be rising, but the point is who are Sonos to tell their customers "nobody needs anything more than red book". It's none of their business to have this attitude. Let customers decide. (And they eventually will) It's a classic case of Ostrich head in the sand IMHO. ...

Don't take it so personally (ok you may). It's really just (just?) money talking. What are they supposed to say, "hey, we know it's better but we don't want to please you, our beloved customers?" When they decide it is worthwhile for them to change they will. They may be wrong about what will make them money and what won't, but I'm pretty sure they've researched the subject more than you have.

To me gap-less is much more important than hi-res, but that's just me. Nevertheless, nobody cares. Also gap-less is a problem to implement in many cases (at least according to stuff I read a while ago).

Chris

^ sure.

Fair enough..

Good points

Let the market decide and Sonos and Linn et al can go wither...

Research as much as they like.. following an ignorant herd doesn't mean what they are doing is right... :)

I'll make a prediction:

If somebody could produce a product, that replicates exactly what Sonos does..... with the same brilliant ease of use, plug and play and functionality, same music services , purchased exactly the same way, with the same excellent support: all at the same costs BUT added up to 24/192 *and* DSD....??

Now I'm not saying they can right now..

But if a product like this hit the market tomorrow..

And Sonos didn't have a similar product ready to roll

Sonos would be out of business in 12 months...

....Things move very fast with technology (as everyone knows around here) and one simply can't ignore customer requests like this...

Of course Sonos *might* just have a product like this ready to roll (and they simply aren't telling anyone..) :)

I agree. That is possible :)

I'll make a prediction:

If somebody could produce a product, that replicates exactly what Sonos does..... with the same brilliant ease of use, plug and play and functionality, same music services , purchased exactly the same way, with the same excellent support: all at the same costs BUT added up to 24/192 *and* DSD....??

Now I'm not saying they can right now..

But if a product like this hit the market tomorrow..

And Sonos didn't have a similar product ready to roll

Sonos would be out of business in 12 months...

Or they could just go out of business now, in anticipation like the Logitech Touch did.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying a nice conversation with yourself. Sorry to butt in. icon10.png

Chris

hahaha Sure. I know nobodies listening!

Or they could just go out of business now, in anticipation like the Logitech Touch did.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying a nice conversation with yourself. Sorry to butt in. icon10.png

Chris

I kind of agree with Chris here ... there was a product which "replicates exactly what Sonos does..... with the same brilliant ease of use, plug and play and functionality, same music services , purchased exactly the same way, with the same excellent support: all at the same costs BUT added up to 24/192 *and* DSD....??" (well 24/96 and no DSD) ... it was the Squeezebox and Logitech killed it, presumably because people didn't buy it.

The two products closest to your ideals (as we've discussed before) appear to be the Auralic Vega and SotM MiniServer / Sonore Orbiter. Self build / DIY you could add the Community Squeeze OS project (software complete but the hardware bits are still being finalised iirc) and a PC with J.River or Foobar.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

hahaha Sure. I know nobodies listening!

Oh I'm listening ... I can't help you but I listen...

<<hugs>>

I think the problem for Sonos is that if high res introduced any issues, then the vaunted ease of use immediately goes out the water. They value the simple "plug and play" over offering High Resolution. I imagine its similar to the reasoning Apple use behind not implementing auto rate switching in iTunes.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Rather than mess with DLNA/uPNP/miminserver/NAS...and such difficulties, what technical limitations exist for a USB2.0 device to be given an IP address. There are plenty of devices that can be attached either with an ac or Ethernet network supporting USB 2.0.

The setup would be the host machine has Jriver, setup to different zones for multiple rooms example. Each zone has an IP address of the final device where the local client, Jremote, can select any zone it likes. The USB feeds a local DAC, and away it goes. It means running Jriver on a dedicated machine, and that software can play anything. Simple...? Depends on your expertise.

If your desire is not to use a computer, then then wait is needed. The Auralic Aries sounds promising with DSD and only a files server required that is accessible.

It is most unlikely that Sonos/Linn will ever offer DSD, or hirez transmissions. More codecs mean more computation, in a proprietary closed system, that spells a lot of R&D. There is commercially made software that cost less than an software's engineer's time to make a coffee already in existence.

Oh that's right you want multi channel. Wait longer or complain louder. Did you read about Todd Rundgren trying to setup multi channel at his concerts? Very frustrating, he gave up after a valiant effort.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

If your desire is not to use a computer, then then wait is needed. The Auralic Aries sounds promising with DSD and only a files server required that is accessible.

The question is, why aren't more manufacturers implementing similar functionalities on their devices? The market is completely dominated by USB DACs, with new units coming to market every week or so (see M2Tech's Young DSD, Grace Design's m920, etc.)

m2tech_youngdsd.jpg

Are audiophiles really not interested in streamers?

<<hugs>>

I think the problem for Sonos is that if high res introduced any issues, then the vaunted ease of use immediately goes out the water. They value the simple "plug and play" over offering High Resolution. I imagine its similar to the reasoning Apple use behind not implementing auto rate switching in iTunes.

Eloise

No. 1. Hi res introduces complexities and that is a problem in a consumer product. I love my logitech SBs but they are not entirely plug and play and I'm not looking forward to the day they die.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

<<hugs>>

Eloise

I agree. They do not want their products to have any issues at all. The ease of use is paramount to them AND to their customers. I would be surprised if they were even considering high resolution playback.

David