I read some reviews and learned that Amber 3's sound signature is full of texture, warm and non-fatiguing. Is it true? If it is then it's a perfect match for my system which is very detailed and tiring at some high notes. 

Also, I was looking for a used Amber 3 and found that there are a few people sold Amber 3 just after a few months. I wonder what's wrong they found with Amber 3? 

19 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

I read some reviews and learned that Amber 3's sound signature is full of texture, warm and non-fatiguing. Is it true? If it is then it's a perfect match for my system which is very detailed and tiring at some high notes. 

Also, I was looking for a used Amber 3 and found that there are a few people sold Amber 3 just after a few months. I wonder what's wrong they found with Amber 3? 

Possible that they just buy a better Lampizator. Many people do.

14 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

The Amber 3's strengths are not only in timbre reproduction but also in timing, detail retrieval and top to bottom balance and natural extension. If you do decide upon getting one, I would suggest you opt for JL Sounds USB board, which elevates it considerably, to the point that you might find re-clockers a non nessesity, provided you have a decent source (Innuos, etc). Now, if you can afford the Baltic 3....🤪

6 hours ago, tedwoods said:

The Amber 3's strengths are not only in timbre reproduction but also in timing, detail retrieval and top to bottom balance and natural extension. If you do decide upon getting one, I would suggest you opt for JL Sounds USB board, which elevates it considerably, to the point that you might find re-clockers a non nessesity, provided you have a decent source (Innuos, etc). Now, if you can afford the Baltic 3....🤪

If I get you correctly, you mean if I choose Baltic 3, I won't need JL Sounds USB board? 

Hi, one question I have about Amber 3 is how quiet it is? I’ve heard 1 or 2 comments that it was not dead quiet.  I have 98db sensitive speakers so I’m wondering if this might be an issue?

thanks for any input! Ted

It's dead quiet!

No mechanical or electrical noise, whatsoever!

I'm using it with my Cube Audio speakers, which are 91db efficient, but I've also tried it at a firiend's place with his "Pnoe' 116db horn loaded set up.

I'm using it direct into my LTA ZOTL 10 mk2 and my friend has the Audio Note (Kondo Japan) "Neiro" with parallel single ended 2A3's.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in the HQPlayer upsampler forum also.

Is anyone using HQP with a Lampizator DAC please?  I have a Baltic 3 on order, hopefully arriving next week.  Unlike my current DAC, which is limited to DSD128, the new one accepts up to DSD512.  Since I like using HPPlayer's DSD5EC/Sinc-L combo, I was about to order a basic spec M1 Mac Mini to upsample to DSD256.  That seems to be as far as we can go with current CPU tech and the EC modulators.

However, the Lampi dealer was telling me not to bother, that PCM works much better with Lampis.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2 minutes ago, Nikko1960 said:

Is anyone using HQP with a Lampizator DAC please?  I have a Baltic 3 on order, hopefully arriving next week.  Unlike my current DAC, which is limited to DSD128, the new one accepts up to DSD512.  Since I like using HPPlayer's DSD5EC/Sinc-L combo, I was about to order a basic spec M1 Mac Mini to upsample to DSD256.  That seems to be as far as we can go with current CPU tech and the EC modulators.

However, the Lampi dealer was telling me not to bother, that PCM works much better with Lampis.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

I don't think Lukasz would include DSD functionality if he didn't think it was as good as PCM. I have a Lampi DAC and I listen to both PCM and DSD and I like both, I dont find the DAC performs better on one or the other.

No electron left behind...

On 2/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, Nikko1960 said:

Thanks in advance.

Nick

PCM handling in the newer Lampis (engine 53) is not "better" than DSD per se. You just might find that upsampling to DSD is not absolutely necessary to get the best out of the DAC, as native resolution sounds really good as well. 

I posted this question in the HQPlayer forum also.

I have placed an order for a Lampizator Baltic 3, and it will be one of the first models to be produced with a volume control in around a month from now.

The dealer has dropped off a loaner Baltic 3, which I have connected directly to my power amp.  I am enjoying the sound very much and I use the digital volume control in HQP, and its integration with Roon, to control it.

The Lampi I have on order costs a fair bit more than a standard unit, so I am asking myself whether having control of volume in the analog domain will offer superior sound compared to the current setup using HQP volume control in the digital domain.

Anyone have any experience please?

Thx

Nick

3 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

I posted this question in the HQPlayer forum also.

I have placed an order for a Lampizator Baltic 3, and it will be one of the first models to be produced with a volume control in around a month from now.

The dealer has dropped off a loaner Baltic 3, which I have connected directly to my power amp.  I am enjoying the sound very much and I use the digital volume control in HQP, and its integration with Roon, to control it.

The Lampi I have on order costs a fair bit more than a standard unit, so I am asking myself whether having control of volume in the analog domain will offer superior sound compared to the current setup using HQP volume control in the digital domain.

Anyone have any experience please?

Thx

Nick

Not what you want to hear, but you can't know except by comparing it in your system.

I'd go with the volume control anyway. Relying only on a software volume control is a disaster waiting to happen - when you inadvertently have the VC turned all the way up and blast your speakers and ears.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

42 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Ahh.  Can you work some magic and get me a good deal on upgrading mine 😁

Since you're in the US, I suggest you talk to Fred.  His counterpart over here has arranged it all for me.  Only issue is the lead time.  I hear they are building 60 units right now, and mine is due in March.

My local dealer also sold me a new rectifier to go with - the PSvane 274B.  In the loan Baltic 3 playing as I type this, it sounds glorious.

• 1 month later...

My B3 is on its way across from Poland. As you may know, Lucasz does not supply the unit with a mains power cable. For those of you that have a B3 (or any other Lampi model for that matter), can I ask what power cable you use with it please? My dealer wants to sell me one for a four figure sum which seems somewhat steep and I have sticker shock!

On 3/29/2021 at 7:59 PM, Nikko1960 said:

My B3 is on its way across from Poland. As you may know, Lucasz does not supply the unit with a mains power cable. For those of you that have a B3 (or any other Lampi model for that matter), can I ask what power cable you use with it please? My dealer wants to sell me one for a four figure sum which seems somewhat steep and I have sticker shock!

Puritan Audio Classic+ or Anticables Level 2 are very good without breaking the Bank.

• 4 weeks later...

My Lampi Baltic 3 DAC/pre-amp (with volume control) has arrived.  My sincere thanks to Greg Drygala at GPoint Audio for making this happen.

Whilst waiting for delivery of my unit, Greg loaned me a regular Baltic 3.  Since I have no pre-amp, I controlled volume digitally via HQPlayer.  My Lampi takes this into the analog domain which has brought more drive and clarity to the sound, not that it was particularly lacking beforehand.  Although I am at the beginning of break-in, this unit is already playing better than the loaner.

And I've begun tube rolling with a PSvane rectifier and a pair of Sylvania 6SNGT tubes.

What a treat!  The Baltic 3 (with or without volume control) is very highly recommended my me and, if you're in the UK, Greg is a top bloke to deal with.

Nikko

IMG_1816.jpg

CE06439A-60BB-4F99-8BBF-E1AA18C40535.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg