IGNORED

Lampizator questions

2 hours ago, seatrope said:

One of the exciting things that happened while it was being built was that Amanero finally came through with firmware that was supposed to allow Linux native playback

Any idea on how the Amanero firmware upgrade for native DSD is going to be applied to our Lampis?

4 hours ago, seatrope said:

and DSD512 native playback from the microrendu now WORKS!!!!

Thanks for the report, it's always nice to hear it from an actual owner... :) It would be great when/If you have the time to hear your thoughts on the difference from DSD128 which all of us who have not upgraded are stuck at, compared to DSD256 and DSD512. In other words, if it's worth the hazzle to send units back for upgrade....

On 7/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, seatrope said:

Hi all,

Just took delivery of my new Golden Gate Lampi (stepped up from my trusty Big7 that gave me many delightful hours of great music playback). 

One of the exciting things that happened while it was being built was that Amanero finally came through with firmware that was supposed to allow Linux native playback of DSD256 and DSD512,

What are all the components in your system and how are they chained together? For example, my setup is rather simple: Laptop -> GA over USB. But, I'm thinking of something like a dedicated audio PC or an ultrarendu.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
2 hours ago, leftside said:

What are all the components in your system and how are they chained together? For example, my setup is rather simple: Laptop -> GA over USB. But, I'm thinking of something like a dedicated audio PC or an ultrarendu.

If I remember correctly you have the Ladder module so DSD256 max, correct?  The new Amanero firmware / driver is supposedly nearing a final version, but I understand there are 2 versions- one that supports DSD512 on Windows and DSD256 on Linux and one that supports DSD512 on Linux but lower on Win.  It seems a choice will need to be made and your endpoint (NAA, renderer, etc.) may drive the choice.  Or, if you are up for getting a new endpoint you can choose one based on the firmware.   Linux DSD512 might be a really good thing.  I've enjoyed the sound of my Bootcamped UpTone powered Mac Mini NAA with the Win ASIO at DSD512 but the sound of an ultraRendu or similar product running a Linux based OS may be even better!

On 8/2/2017 at 1:53 PM, unbalanced output said:

I'm interested in the firmware upgrade as well. I have some issues switching from 44.1 to 48kHz based on Windows, Lampis pointed out it may be firmware related. I also have some issues with popping on a few DSD recordings, while most albums don't have this issue. I have the DSD256 module. 

Hi Unbalanced output, 

thats interesting. What issues do you have going from 44.1 to 48 and how do they manifest? I'm still on a late beta firmware, and although 256/512 work natively in Linux and windows like they are supposed to, I've been having problems with 48khz family playback. However, my problems are only with 192khz pcm and 256x48 DSD. Lower rates all work including 96 and 48khz com and dsd128x48. 

How does your problem surface? Mine come out as high pitched loud noise accompanied by recognizable music in background but at higher speed and pitch...

Hi seatrope

The files won't even start, but then I would need to check what exact frequencies I've tested - not sure if I tried 192. I also see some differences between Foobar and Roon. I would have to investigate it further. 

The only issue I have with DSD is with one particular DSD64 album where the gapless won't work in Roon specifically. It works once if I restart the server, but at a certain point it stops working again - there is always an associated click when it doesn't work. I don't seem to have this issue with Foobar, but then I'm currently using different drivers. 

I'm running the 'stock' firmware. 

On 7/27/2017 at 0:11 AM, rikard said:

Thanks for the report, it's always nice to hear it from an actual owner... :) It would be great when/If you have the time to hear your thoughts on the difference from DSD128 which all of us who have not upgraded are stuck at, compared to DSD256 and DSD512. In other words, if it's worth the hazzle to send units back for upgrade....

I have the DSD256 upgrade from awhile back on my Lampizator Level 5 DSD DAC.

Definitely worth getting vs. running the Lampizator DAC at DSD128.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone knows more about the Amanero upgrade, please share.

Thanks

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

4 hours ago, zerung said:

If anyone knows more about the Amanero upgrade, please share.

Thanks

I'm pretty positive the unit has to be sent back to Poland or possibly Lampi US (NY).  Although, communication on this seems to be pretty sparse, unless I missed something.  One "could" update the FW on your own (I think) but would void warranty and for good reason.  I wouldn't recommend it.

This is the main feed I've been following.  Seems like its close! but its been "close" since '16. 

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

It appears that the latest version is working with good results (native DSD), but from the most recent comments, it sounds like users of the mU (as an NAA) it wont work as the mU OS needs a different kernel to recognize the new FW?

My rig

12 hours ago, Foggie said:

I'm pretty positive the unit has to be sent back to Poland or possibly Lampi US (NY).  Although, communication on this seems to be pretty sparse, unless I missed something.  One "could" update the FW on your own (I think) but would void warranty and for good reason.  I wouldn't recommend it.

This is the main feed I've been following.  Seems like its close! but its been "close" since '16. 

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

It appears that the latest version is working with good results (native DSD), but from the most recent comments, it sounds like users of the mU (as an NAA) it wont work as the mU OS needs a different kernel to recognize the new FW?

Thanks Foggie, Looks like the firmware is to be released imminently. Great Stuff.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

We do have domestic techs and will probably outfit them to do it here for a modest fee so we can avoid international shipping.  That said, we're still awaiting a stable amanero release, so...  any day now, but we're not quite there yet.  Once something reliable goes live, we'll sort out logistics.

Hey everybody, I'm about to send in my stock Atlantic in for some upgrades to making it a Plus and I'm trying to decide if the new 512 is worth the extra 1000 euros. I currently using Roon off a Mac Mini networked to a Sonore ultraRendu and primarily play or use Tidal. I've read in some places some are preferring Tidal upsampling to dsd through Roon versus Roon/HQ Player. Any here do that or agree? And is dsd 128/256 better through the 512 engine than the r2r?

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Whether dsd128/256 sounds better through the 512 engine I can't say (I'm interested in the answer too), however concerning the r2r engine Ive noticed something interesting. The r2r engine seems to sound a lot better when using the Ultrarendu compared to connecting directly to the PC, however DSD didn't seem to benefit as much. The difference between upsampling and playing native seem to be much less noticeable, however I will give some more listening time before drawing definitive conclusions.

5 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

Whether dsd128/256 sounds better through the 512 engine I can't say (I'm interested in the answer too), however concerning the r2r engine Ive noticed something interesting. The r2r engine seems to sound a lot better when using the Ultrarendu compared to connecting directly to the PC, however DSD didn't seem to benefit as much. The difference between upsampling and playing native seem to be much less noticeable, however I will give some more listening time before drawing definitive conclusions.

That is interesting. When I try to upsample through Roon I don't notice much of a difference between dsd and pcm with the ultraRendu. It's making me wonder if the 512 engine would be beneficial considering the price. 

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Guys many of us own the GG and in my friend circle we unilaterally prefer the DSD from the 512 engine (even if it's DSD 64) to the regular engine. That includes with Auralic, PC with HQP, or with the new Lampi super computer which one of us has. In some cases people prefer the 256 to the 512 in the same engine but that's due to their Upsampler restrictions. So it's worth the price, yes

6 hours ago, t_ram said:

That is interesting. When I try to upsample through Roon I don't notice much of a difference between dsd and pcm with the ultraRendu. It's making me wonder if the 512 engine would be beneficial considering the price. 

Just tried the upsampling to dsd256 Vs native again and "the difference" is there. Now I'm wondering why! 

9 hours ago, bonzo said:

Guys many of us own the GG and in my friend circle we unilaterally prefer the DSD from the 512 engine (even if it's DSD 64) to the regular engine. That includes with Auralic, PC with HQP, or with the new Lampi super computer which one of us has. In some cases people prefer the 256 to the 512 in the same engine but that's due to their Upsampler restrictions. So it's worth the price, yes

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone in your group use Roon only to upsample everything, and in particular Tidal, as opposed to Roon/HQ Player with the 512 engine?  I've seen some are now using or preferring just Roon to do the upsampling to dsd rather than HQ Player.

I pretty much use Tidal anymore for all my listening as I find it just as good if not better than some hi-Rez stuff I have and any upsampling I've tried with Tidal doesn't seem to make too much of a difference with the r2r that I have in my stock Atlantic.

59 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Many do tidal, the new Lampi streamer is Roon only on Linux, and some use HQP. It should not matter, the 512 engine is just better

I'm starting to think I should never have asked...:)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

On 8/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, t_ram said:

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone in your group use Roon only to upsample everything, and in particular Tidal, as opposed to Roon/HQ Player with the 512 engine?  I've seen some are now using or preferring just Roon to do the upsampling to dsd rather than HQ Player.

I pretty much use Tidal anymore for all my listening as I find it just as good if not better than some hi-Rez stuff I have and any upsampling I've tried with Tidal doesn't seem to make too much of a difference with the r2r that I have in my stock Atlantic.

I've done both and do slightly prefer the HQP upsampling however I could quite happily live with Roon doing the upsampling for me from PCM to DSD. The only reason Im running HQP is that I use a humming board as a NAA which currently is configured for Roon as an end point, will be soon though, then I may switch over to Roon full time to do the upsampling

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

On 8/19/2017 at 9:11 PM, t_ram said:

Hey everybody, I'm about to send in my stock Atlantic in for some upgrades to making it a Plus and I'm trying to decide if the new 512 is worth the extra 1000 euros. I currently using Roon off a Mac Mini networked to a Sonore ultraRendu and primarily play or use Tidal. I've read in some places some are preferring Tidal upsampling to dsd through Roon versus Roon/HQ Player. Any here do that or agree? And is dsd 128/256 better through the 512 engine than the r2r?

From what I gather the Mac wont upsample past DSD 128. Amanero are supposedly working on a new firmware which may allow for this in the future

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO