IGNORED

Lampizator questions

I posted this in the HQPlayer upsampler forum also.

Is anyone using HQP with a Lampizator DAC please?  I have a Baltic 3 on order, hopefully arriving next week.  Unlike my current DAC, which is limited to DSD128, the new one accepts up to DSD512.  Since I like using HPPlayer's DSD5EC/Sinc-L combo, I was about to order a basic spec M1 Mac Mini to upsample to DSD256.  That seems to be as far as we can go with current CPU tech and the EC modulators.

However, the Lampi dealer was telling me not to bother, that PCM works much better with Lampis.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

I posted this question in the HQPlayer forum also.

I have placed an order for a Lampizator Baltic 3, and it will be one of the first models to be produced with a volume control in around a month from now.

The dealer has dropped off a loaner Baltic 3, which I have connected directly to my power amp.  I am enjoying the sound very much and I use the digital volume control in HQP, and its integration with Roon, to control it.

The Lampi I have on order costs a fair bit more than a standard unit, so I am asking myself whether having control of volume in the analog domain will offer superior sound compared to the current setup using HQP volume control in the digital domain.

Anyone have any experience please?

Thx

Nick

42 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Ahh.  Can you work some magic and get me a good deal on upgrading mine 😁

Since you're in the US, I suggest you talk to Fred.  His counterpart over here has arranged it all for me.  Only issue is the lead time.  I hear they are building 60 units right now, and mine is due in March.

My local dealer also sold me a new rectifier to go with - the PSvane 274B.  In the loan Baltic 3 playing as I type this, it sounds glorious.

• 1 month later...

My B3 is on its way across from Poland. As you may know, Lucasz does not supply the unit with a mains power cable. For those of you that have a B3 (or any other Lampi model for that matter), can I ask what power cable you use with it please? My dealer wants to sell me one for a four figure sum which seems somewhat steep and I have sticker shock!

• 4 weeks later...

My Lampi Baltic 3 DAC/pre-amp (with volume control) has arrived.  My sincere thanks to Greg Drygala at GPoint Audio for making this happen.

Whilst waiting for delivery of my unit, Greg loaned me a regular Baltic 3.  Since I have no pre-amp, I controlled volume digitally via HQPlayer.  My Lampi takes this into the analog domain which has brought more drive and clarity to the sound, not that it was particularly lacking beforehand.  Although I am at the beginning of break-in, this unit is already playing better than the loaner.

And I've begun tube rolling with a PSvane rectifier and a pair of Sylvania 6SNGT tubes.

What a treat!  The Baltic 3 (with or without volume control) is very highly recommended my me and, if you're in the UK, Greg is a top bloke to deal with.

Nikko

IMG_1816.jpg

CE06439A-60BB-4F99-8BBF-E1AA18C40535.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

• 6 months later...

I can highly recommend the following which has made a huge difference to the music coming out of my Baltic3:

• EtherRegen, powered by Uptone LPS;
  • AfterDark Emperor Crown SE OCXO clock, powered by AfterDark LPS, with a Black River clock cable to the ER;
  • Sonore UltraRendu.

I've had the UltraRendu and EtherRegen for ages and, of course, thought they made a big contribution to the relaxed, detailed sound coming from the Lampi.  But the addition of the clock made the most profound difference since I introduced the DAC.  This is a *highly* recommended addition.

I also use HQPlayer and Jussi's new modulators have also improved things.

I've never been happier and this is playing through a power amp (Boulder) and speakers (JM Labs) that are >25 years old.

• 6 months later...

I use HQPlayer with my Baltic3, up sampling to DSD256 from red book and Tidal high Rez formats. 

Upsampling has a huge positive impact to the sound. Jussi’s ECv2 modulators are simply superb. Although people on the HQP forums rave about the ASDM7ECv2 modulator, I find that the 5th order variant yields the most organic sound from the Baltic3.

There are lots of filters to choose from but my current fav is guass-long for red book and the high-Rez variant for Nx. 

Any Lampizator owners can give HQPlayer a test, since Jussi offers a trial version. I run it on a dedicated Mac Mini M1 & 8GB ram, and it upsamples to DSD256 using the heavy modulators without issue. 

nikko

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Hi Nikko, Best for 2023 !

I have the Lampi Baltic 3 and im wondering how many bits are the ideal in HQplayer for these Lampi DACs, Miska could not answer, he knew about the T-II but he said no experience with Lampi DACs

Could you share your HQP config please ?

Regards

Miguel

HNY to you too, Miguel.

Please find attached a screen shot of my settings.  Note that I am converting to a DSD stream.  I throttle the volume back to -3.4db to prevent clipping.  But I leave bits set to auto.  Someone told me some time back that the bits setting only matters when you upsample to PCM.

All the best

Nikko

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 10.42.03.png