IGNORED

Lampizator questions

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had Amber 3 and also Terminator in the past. I did not own them at the same time but they are very different sounding DAC. The Lampi is more live sounding, larger soundstage, more details and air. The Terminator is more dense, more depth and layering. Both are excellent at what they offer at the price point. It’s a matter of taste. Their is no question that Amber 4 will definitely take things further. The JL sound USB board is A4 is also a lot better than the Amanero they used in the past. However, I did not find any usefulness of hqp upsampling with any Lampi DAC.

Lampi had/has different types of digital engine (not exactly sure what that means and they are secretive about it) in different model of their DACs over time. They also used Amanero USB board before they switch to JL Sounds and I believe these key differentiation is critical. Both Amber3 and Baltic3 uses S53 digital engine and both has JL Sounds USB boards and my various attempts to upsample using HQP did not yield anything on both these DACs. There are countless threads in WTBF forums on Lampi DACs and none of them seem to use upsampling with their recent DACs as well. So one has to try and find themselves if HQP upsampling will help or not.