IGNORED

Originally recorded DSD256 piano solo sources by a Japanese group Wechseldominate

If you are interested in DSD256 sources originally recorded in the sampling rate, you can try this release by a Japanese group "Wechseldominante" from this page (in Japanese only).

Three live piano solos are available on this page,

ƒ”ƒFƒNƒZƒ‹ƒhƒ~ƒiƒ“ƒe

(Please select "Works" tab of the page. You will find "DSD256" signs among Japanese characters.)

These tunes are recorded by employing ElectrArt's AT1201 ADC and UDA2 USB interface,

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/direct-stream-digital-or-not-direct-stream-digital-16093/index36.html#post269984

To my regret, I have no definite idea on a category of those piano plays.

Thanks! I will listen to them on my e20 tomorrow. I still enjoy solo violin dsd256 file you sent to me last year.

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

Ok I have listen to this tracks few times now and it confirms that getting a truly accurate tonality and decay of a simple piano is one of the most if not the most difficult instrument to reproduce. I notice fuzzy imaging of this instrument when recorded.. sound of notes filling up the entire soundstage as if the keyboard were 50 feet wide. Bunpei, I think I much preferred the violin recording.

SR Tesla Plex SE > 8 PS Audio Noise Harvesters > Blue Circle PLC Thigee > HiDiamond P4 > HQ Player > Jitterbug > USB Adapter > Regen > USB adapter > exaSound e20 mkIII (with TeddyPardo PSU) > High Fidelity CT-1UR > Emotiva XPA-1s > OTA Storatos SC > Magnepan 3.6R custom crossover + 2 REL T-7

... Bunpei, I think I much preferred the violin recording. ...

I completely agree with you on this point.

The violin recording was prepared by Professor Yamazaki, the first advocate of 1 bit digital audio format, using his proprietary 2nd order delta-sigma modulator with high-performance microphones. Solo part of Paganini's concerto was played by Hungarian violinist, Kristóf Baráti, at Stradivali Society in Chicago.

I completely agree with you on this point.

The violin recording was prepared by Professor Yamazaki, the first advocate of 1 bit digital audio format, using his proprietary 2nd order delta-sigma modulator with high-performance microphones. Solo part of Paganini's concerto was played by Hungarian violinist, Kristóf Baráti, at Stradivali Society in Chicago.

There appears to be a need for designing a state-of-the-art DSD ADC capable of operating natively at 128FS (and optionally at 256FS). I'm sure that if Professor Yamasaki, Gus Skinas, Andreas Koch and Ted Smith sat together and designed one, it would be a killer front end.

There appears to be a need for designing a state-of-the-art DSD ADC capable of operating natively at 128FS (and optionally at 256FS). I'm sure that if Professor Yamasaki, Gus Skinas, Andreas Koch and Ted Smith sat together and designed one, it would be a killer front end.

That would be quite a project with those experts. Does the Professor plan any more DSD256 recordings?

That would be quite a project with those experts. Does the Professor plan any more DSD256 recordings?

Don't know about any future recordings from Prof. Yamasaki, but a chipless 5.6~11.2MHz ADC designed by the above team of engineers could enable every recording engineer to make SOTA recordings in double or quad DSD...

I met Prof. Yamazaki last November and December. He said nothing about a possible further release of his 11.3 MHz 1 bit recordings. He said that a technology for recording at 45 MHz has been achieved already. He always says he is interested in a non-delta-sigma modulated 1 bit recording with an extremely high sampling rate.

I met Prof. Yamazaki last November and December. He said nothing about a possible further release of his 11.3 MHz 1 bit recordings. He said that a technology for recording at 45 MHz has been achieved already. He always says he is interested in a non-delta-sigma modulated 1 bit recording with an extremely high sampling rate.

Do you know what he meant by a "non-delta-sigma modulated 1bit recording"? His previous recordings were done using his proprietary 1bit delta-sigma modulator, weren't they?

I'm afraid that I might not understand Prof. Yamazaki's idea exactly.

My interpretation of "non-delta-sigma modulated 1 bit recording" is a simple PDM that involves GHz order sampling.

Apart from that, his violin recording used a "non-aggressive" delta-sigma modulator of the 2nd order.

I'm afraid that I might not understand Prof. Yamazaki's idea exactly.

My interpretation of "non-delta-sigma modulated 1 bit recording" is a simple PDM that involves GHz order sampling.

Apart from that, his violin recording used a "non-aggressive" delta-sigma modulator of the 2nd order.

Yet in the case of the recording made with the 2nd order delta-sigma modulator we are still talking about DSD or Delta Sigma Direct recording.

I met Prof. Yamazaki last November and December. He said nothing about a possible further release of his 11.3 MHz 1 bit recordings. He said that a technology for recording at 45 MHz has been achieved already.

Since DSD at 128fs and 256fs requires a very accurate clock to show its full potential, I would imagine the 45MHz DSD recorder must be using an absolute best clock developed to date. Maybe something like the 1-bit, 100MHz clock Bruno Putzeys developed for his Mola Mola DAC...

DAC_web.gif

As I will meet Prof. Yamazaki at the next meeting of 1 bit research which will be held on June, I will ask him some details of his recording devices. At least I can say he is not a person of "audiophile" pursuing "the best Hi-Fi", but of DIY "nuts-and-bolts" personality. By the way, he retired from Waseda University in Tokyo at the end of last March.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if Prof. Yamazaki could turn one of his DIY A/D designs into a production unit. As far as I know, the Emm Labs ADC8 MKIV is the only chip-less ADC on the market capable of 128FS recording, and the converter is already 10 years old... I would assume that with today's improved clocks (100MHz, 1bit) one could get even further improvements in direct DSD capture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old discussion after interacting with Bunpei the OP of this thread. I had some initial "starting trouble" with downloading the files (feedback given) but still managed to get most of the material.

Given that this discussion first took place two years ago during the early days of DSD, it might be of interest to revisit these recordings with the new gear now available. Initial impressions of these recordings, which are native DSD, are excellent. The piano is one of my favorite instruments to listen to and some of the pieces are exquisitely recorded.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Breathtaking recording - listening to this was a real treat.

Huge dynamic swings with real presence of the instrument in the room.

Musicscope analysis of this recording:

2006_nagano_ohba_11.2M.dff_report.png

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice. My problem is even with your very clear instruction on the other post, it is simply beyond me to convert the file. I am rather incompetent when it come to using different computer programs. Appreciate very much your guidance though.

The file I have is in .dff format. I can send it to you via Dropbox.

Please let me know by pm if you would like to have a copy.

Regards.