IGNORED

New NAS - Old drive?

I have just bought my first NAS - a Synology DS213j - and I currently have all of my music files on a single 2TB drive.

Initially I thought I would be able to install this drive into the NAS and then add a new 2TB and create a Raid 1 mirrored pair. However after reading all the documentation I am unclear if this is possible.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Or will I need to buy 2 new drives, create a Raid 1 pair and simply copy all the files across?

I have just bought my first NAS - a Synology DS213j - and I currently have all of my music files on a single 2TB drive.

Initially I thought I would be able to install this drive into the NAS and then add a new 2TB and create a Raid 1 mirrored pair. However after reading all the documentation I am unclear if this is possible.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Or will I need to buy 2 new drives, create a Raid 1 pair and simply copy all the files across?

It may work ... but you are likely to end up with a blank disk...

Buy two new drives.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It may work ... but you are likely to end up with a blank disk...

Buy two new drives.

Eloise

Thanks Eloise

I guess I thought what I wanted to do would be a not uncommon scenario and would be simple. Silly me!

OK, two new drives it is then...

Hi Mike,

no way, the current disc with your content and the second disc will be "initialized" by the OS of the NAS - which simply means it will re-format to the proprietory OS of the NAS maker ... and all contents gets lost !

Watch out for those pop-up screens and abort !

You might be able to use that drive in the NAS but as the posters above point out the NAS will reformat it and thus you will lose all data on that drive. If you are trying to save money on drives you could start the NAS with one new drive, then copy all the files on your current drive to the NAS and then add the old drive to the NAS. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through though given the price of drives so I would agree with the previous posters and suggest two new drives for the NAS.