IGNORED

Cedille Records - exceptional sound quality

Any tracks in particular?

Track 7, Klezmer Dances on the Martin Fröst. Great music, very lively.

From the Summa album, i suggest track 1 for SQ evaluation. But consider getting the Fratres track also--I love that piece.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

It seems that most of the recommendations are for contemporary music. Indeed, sonics of these recordings are superb. I am not so much fan of contemporary music, but I liked the Vagn Holmboe Concertos and Martin Frost as well. It is very engaging and amazing music. Didn't know even about these composers and don't have any DeCappo disks yet.

BTW, for Holmboe Qobuz says 0bit/0kHz, so don't know what quality they offers for it?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It seems that most of the recommendations are for contemporary music. Indeed, sonics of these recordings are superb. I am not so much fan of contemporary music, but I liked the Vagn Holmboe Concertos and Martin Frost as well. It is very engaging and amazing music. Didn't know even about these composers and don't have any DeCappo disks yet.

BTW, for Holmboe Qobuz says 0bit/0kHz, so don't know what quality they offers for it?

I shied away from my standard rep faves, because most of them would not be considered exceptional by digital audiophile technical standards.

I can verify that the Da Capo "Studio Master" Holmboe Concertos files I linked at qobuz were 24/192 when I downloaded them.

eClassical does not have this album now. They listed it before, but when I had trouble downloading it they sent an apologetic email that the files they got from Da Capo were bad (hmmm, so the Danish label sends the Swedish label bad files...).

I did get the Chamber Symphonies from eClassical, who also didn't label correctly, so the 24/192 files were a pleasant surprise.

eClassical - Holmboe: Chamber Symphonies

Track 7, Klezmer Dances on the Martin Fröst. Great music, very lively.

From the Summa album, i suggest track 1 for SQ evaluation. But consider getting the Fratres track also--I love that piece.

OK, but you realize that it's very unlikely that I won't like the sonics, since Bis rarely disappoints me.

I shied away from my standard rep faves, because most of them would not be considered exceptional by digital audiophile technical standards.

I can verify that the Da Capo "Studio Master" Holmboe Concertos files I linked at qobuz were 24/192 when I downloaded them.

eClassical does not have this album now. They listed it before, but when I had trouble downloading it they sent an apologetic email that the files they got from Da Capo were bad (hmmm, so the Danish label sends the Swedish label bad files...).

I did get the Chamber Symphonies from eClassical, who also didn't label correctly, so the 24/192 files were a pleasant surprise.

eClassical - Holmboe: Chamber Symphonies

Ok, so I will check symphonies as well, but Concertos seem to be the one I will probably go for. It is also available directly from Dacapo, but it's cheaper via Qobuz. Strange!

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

OK, but you realize that it's very unlikely that I won't like the sonics, since Bis rarely disappoints me.

Well, I'm curious to hear if you agree w me that the SQ on these albums is better than on the Sibelius / Beethoven recordings from Minnesota...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Well, I'm curious to hear if you agree w me that the SQ on these albums is better than on the Sibelius / Beethoven recordings from Minnesota...

It would probably be better to compare Beethoven to Beethoven.

I listened to the Vänskä 7th for the first time on my new Aurilac Vega yesterday, and was not as blown away as I remember being with my older DAC (and there have been some tube changes in the pre-amp, too). I still think the sonics are excellent, but perhaps not extraordinary.

Ok, so I will check symphonies as well, but Concertos seem to be the one I will probably go for. It is also available directly from Dacapo, but it's cheaper via Qobuz. Strange!

DaCapo may not be able to undersell their retailers. Also, the jury is still out for me as to whether the hi-rez is really worth it given how good their CDs already sound.

DaCapo may not be able to undersell their retailers. Also, the jury is still out for me as to whether the hi-rez is really worth it given how good their CDs already sound.

Indeed. As an example, I can recommend this:

8.226036.jpg

Great music and no less than stunning SQ.

All best,

Jens

I've started originally about Cedille, but as always subject went off the topic - just a bit ;-) Regarding DaCapo I've found this recording also with superb sonics and spatiality in my opinion.

Musique orchestrale | Carl Nielsen par Thomas Dausgaard*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

0747313151868_230.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof, if you like string quartets, I recommend Nielsen's string quartets 1 & 4 on the Da Capo album "String Quartets, Volume 1". It also includes a string quintet that I don't like as much. It's 96 KHz.

For the Nielsen symphonies, I find the new Gilbert/New York recordings on Da Capo somewhat understated, although the sound is great (192 KHz). I prefer the 14 year old performances by Schonwandt in good but not great Redbook sound, and the much older Bernstein.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Krzysztof, if you like string quartets, I recommend Nielsen's string quartets 1 & 4 on the Da Capo album "String Quartets, Volume 1". It also includes a string quintet that I don't like as much. It's 96 KHz.

For the Nielsen symphonies, I find the new Gilbert/New York recordings on Da Capo somewhat understated, although the sound is great (192 KHz). I prefer the 14 year old performances by Schonwandt in good but not great Redbook sound, and the much older Bernstein.

Thanks Bob. I tried that new Gilbert recording from DaCapo website and it seems to be quite good, however, those mentioned by me Orchestral Works are more relaxed to me, since I have had quite enough of big symphonic things.

192kHz sound is perfect, but takes a lot of disk space and I am not so much convinced if any audible difference with 96kHz on my system.

--

Krzysztof Maj