IGNORED

iFi iDSD nano with iUSB, Gemini cable and iPurifier short review

I cannot recommend enough adding these elements to your iDSD nano. I originally was running the iDSD with the iUSB power connected via the generic cable that comes from iFi and an Audioquest Cinnamon interconnect.

After replacing the generic cable with the two headed Gemini, and adding in the iPurifer, the sound is notably clearer. Blacker background, slightly more natural with a little less digital grain. Better separation between instruments, and I was struck by some background details in my favorite recordings that I had not heard before.

The downside is the cost of the above combo certainly shifts the value equation. Value aside, this combo produces some killer sound. It may even be a 'giant killer'.

Now back to simply enjoying listening!!

EDIT-- also note that I am using a piece of tape over the 5v pin on the audioquest cable, as power on that cable is not necessary with the iUSB in the chain.

I cannot recommend enough adding these elements to your iDSD nano. I originally was running the iDSD with the iUSB power connected via the generic cable that comes from iFi and an Audioquest Cinnamon interconnect.

After replacing the generic cable with the two headed Gemini, and adding in the iPurifer, the sound is notably clearer. Blacker background, slightly more natural with a little less digital grain. Better separation between instruments, and I was struck by some background details in my favorite recordings that I had not heard before.

The downside is the cost of the above combo certainly shifts the value equation. Value aside, this combo produces some killer sound. It may even be a 'giant killer'.

Now back to simply enjoying listening!!

EDIT-- also note that I am using a piece of tape over the 5v pin on the audioquest cable, as power on that cable is not necessary with the iUSB in the chain.

I have an ifi micro stack (with the iDAC instead of an iDSD) on my desk and like it quite a bit. The price of their various bits does become off-putting when combined into a big system. But I guess you can add them gradually to satisfy the urge to upgrade. It does make me wish they would just get on with it and introduce an all in one unit that combined all of their features. It doesn't look like they are going that direction though, the upcoming "mini" line will have at least an iDSD, iCAN, and iTUBE.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Yes, it does add up. But the ability to add as I can afford is, well, an easy thing to do. (Good for the guys at iFi. They seem to have hit on a profitable model!!)

I too am interested in the mini lineup, but apparently their next project that will be available for sale is the iDSD Micro, set for around June. The Mini series is still in testing and won't be available until sometime after that, unfortunately. I am very very interested in the iDSD mini...

I have an ifi micro stack (with the iDAC instead of an iDSD) on my desk and like it quite a bit. The price of their various bits does become off-putting when combined into a big system. But I guess you can add them gradually to satisfy the urge to upgrade. It does make me wish they would just get on with it and introduce an all in one unit that combined all of their features. It doesn't look like they are going that direction though, the upcoming "mini" line will have at least an iDSD, iCAN, and iTUBE.