IGNORED

Difference in audio volume - iTunes vs Audirvana (integrated mode)

donjansson

Can somebody explain why there's an extreme difference in audio volume when i run iTunes standalone, compared to the integrated mode in Audirvana?

is it supposed to be this way?

Which is louder?

Are you sure you don't have "Sound Check" enabled in iTunes and check that volume is turned to maximum and no EQ settings enabled?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Which is louder?

Are you sure you don't have "Sound Check" enabled in iTunes and check that volume is turned to maximum and no EQ settings enabled?

Eloise

Audirvana is by far the loudest!

All controlls by iTunes is turned off in Audirvana. The Sound Check box should not be the problem, as Audirvana therefore handles all the output (?)

The volume is all controlled by the DAC, with the volume set to max 0 dB.

All controlls by iTunes is turned off in Audirvana. The Sound Check box should not be the problem, as Audirvana therefore handles all the output (?)

Yes, but are you sure the iTunes controls aren't altering the volume when in iTunes mode?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Are you running iTunes version 10.x or the newer 11.x? I am still on 10.x on my MacMini (Audio system) and vanilla iTunes is much quieter than Audirvana...however on my MacBook Pro running iTunes 11 it is noticable louder (they are the same).

My theory; Audirvana is using the new sound layer that iTunes 11 introduced; which seems to be louder than iTunes 10. (but not necessarily better).

This is a good thing because I don't want to update my Audio rig past iTunes 10. I run Audrivana in standalone mode and much prefer it...at least until Damien releases Audirvana 2.0 so I can ditch iTunes altogether. ;)

DE.

2011 Mac Mini (16GB RAM) --> Audirvana Plus --> M2Tech HiFace2 --> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --> B&K Reference 31 --> B&K 2140 (2-channel) + B&K 3140 (3-channel) --> Energy RC-30 Reference Connoisseur (Mains) + Energy RC-10 (Surrounds)

• 2 weeks later...
Are you running iTunes version 10.x or the newer 11.x? I am still on 10.x on my MacMini (Audio system) and vanilla iTunes is much quieter than Audirvana...however on my MacBook Pro running iTunes 11 it is noticable louder (they are the same).

My theory; Audirvana is using the new sound layer that iTunes 11 introduced; which seems to be louder than iTunes 10. (but not necessarily better).

This is a good thing because I don't want to update my Audio rig past iTunes 10. I run Audrivana in standalone mode and much prefer it...at least until Damien releases Audirvana 2.0 so I can ditch iTunes altogether. ;)

DE.

Which means?

It has to be something inside A+. The volume level in integrated mode is outrageous, while iTunes standalone sounds "good" (at least you won't have to turn the knob all the way down to hear yourself think). A+ gives me the dist from hell even with the volume knob at 9 o'clock. Meanwhile Itunes standalone is much more quiet.

My volume control type is DAC only. The volume level is at max. Could this be the problem? Are you supposed to cut a few dB?

I could upload my settings via Flickr and paste them here. Sounds good?

I have noticed the same when running in Integrated Mode time to time the whole combo sounds quieter than A+ alone. Same settings with only DAC which not control the sound level - I am using fixed outputs straight to my integrated amp

Sometimes I quit everything, run it again and it sounds different, which is weird?!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I suspect the output signal in my HRT Music Streamer HD is way too high. As a result there's very much dist, even on rather low listening volumes. Is there a way to decrease the signal? I use a Macbook Pro. I find the HRT in MIDI-settings, but I can't change the volume. Is this correct?