IGNORED

Is Someone Playing Fast & Loose With Measurements?

The DragonFly did clip when ran as designed if it was run in the top 3 steps of it's volume control. So ran at FS this could indeed be the case... I believe Gordon even said as much here at CA and then later there was a firmware update if I am not mistaken?

You can search for my reviews early on here at CA. The DragonFly sounded no better than the built-in audio in my Mac and went back to Crutchfield. I even tried Kimber interconnects. In the end it cost me a couple hundred bucks for a product that could not exceed the digital format of my Mac (24/96), or support USB 2.0, or DSD.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/audioquest-dragonfly-24-96-asynchronous-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-digital-analogue-converter-headphone-amp-12353/index12.html#post184175

They were first-to-market but my experience with that product is that the SQ was extremely disappointing.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Thanks for the clarification Steve. This makes sense.

Hello Junker –

As you point out – the original (first production run) DragonFly did in fact clip when a 0db 24/96 signal was presented. Upon discovering this we took immediate steps to resolve the issue. It was only in the first production run (1.0) that the problem existed. the following production runs had a version 1.0c, which we used to identify amended DragonFly's (also measured by John Atkinson in Stereophile's review). Then in late November of last year we released the improved 1.2 version.

Regards,

Steve Silberman

AudioQuest

[email protected]

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

AudioQuest DragonFly USB D/A converter Measurements | Stereophile.com

With the first sample of the DragonFly, a full-scale 24-bit signal actually clipped the bottom halves of the waveform with the computer's volume control set to its maximum, giving a THD+noise level of 3.8%. Backing off the control by one click (–0.17dB) reduced the THD to 2.14%, by a second click (–0.34dB) to 0.627%, and by a third click (–0.51dB) to 0.054%, below which the THD+N percentage plateaued. The second sample didn't clip with a 0dBFS signal at maximum volume, and the THD+N was 0.041% rather than 3.8%. According to Gordon Rankin, the volume control offers 64 steps of less than 1dB to –60dB and then mute (–100dB), but he used only 60 of those steps in the DragonFly, as the top four steps suffered from significant clipping into high impedances. "In retrospect," he wrote of the first sample, "I could have changed the maximum volume down a few more steps and then this would not have been an issue."

JA DID see similar test result - which I would consider this a 3rd party - until the volume control on the DragonFly was dialed back. Is this mentioned in the anywhere in their literature or instructions? To give a fairer comparison this should be done.

Wow... Really Chris?

If it is outside of your realm of expertise then how about refraining from accusing LH of being "unethical" and "misleading". As the MC of this forum your name carries a lot of weight to be this reckless and accusatory. As stated previously even your title is baited.

And I don't like how this appears to be an orchestrated smear campaign as all of this stuff hit CA and AudioStream at the same time with supporting collateral and talking points ready to go.

The truth is I simply don't know because it's outside the realm of my knowledge. Thus, the reason I posted the following statement in the opening thread, "Please let me know if any of the information I posted is incorrect or misleading, I can update the data anytime. I just want to get to the facts. Thanks guys."

If I had to guess, now that some people have weighed in and LH has responded, I'd say LH's numbers are very misleading, LH isn't being transparent, and conducted testing in an unethical manor. LH is a smart company with qualified engineers. It's strange that the iDSD measurements published can only be obtained by running the battery flat, using a very low impedance load, and adding excess dither. It seems LH is playing dumb on some items as well.