IGNORED

Apple / Comcast what it could mean for music

Interesting talks between these two giants could be significant for music.

The big thing that Apple seems to be on Apple's mind with these two being in bed appears to be the ability to be away from the "fray" as it were of the normal wide open internet pipeline that it currently has to stream in. If (a pretty big if but hey) Apple got Comcasts pipeline of managed streams they could not only stream movies, video, etc. with no stutters or interuption but their new music streaming pie in the sky would have one clear road into peoples homes. That could easily lead to streaming of much higher quality files in their streaming service making them totally unique and suddenly back in front in the music scene. If indeed streaming keeps chugging along to higher and higher subscriptions then it would only stand to reason Apple would want to be on top of that pile.

David

I remain.....dubious. Anything the KommunistKast, aka Kabletowne, aka Satan touches is evil. Ispo Facto Bad-o.

Consider the bundle. Have no interest in Sports? If you want, say, HBO you are stuck with ESPN and you then pay for something you do not watch. Have no small children in the house? You may have to pay for Disney in order to get the History channel.

We will only be safe when the last Kable executive is strangled with the intestines of the last......HD Tracks Fraudster!!!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I remain.....dubious. Anything the KommunistKast, aka Kabletowne, aka Satan touches is evil. Ispo Facto Bad-o.

Consider the bundle. Have no interest in Sports? If you want, say, HBO you are stuck with ESPN and you then pay for something you do not watch. Have no small children in the house? You may have to pay for Disney in order to get the History channel.

We will only be safe when the last Kable executive is strangled with the intestines of the last......HD Tracks Fraudster!!!

In my Humble opinion, the inability to "buy" the programming you want rather than having to buy stuff you'll never watch just to get what you do want, is the biggest failing of modern cable TV and satellite marketing. Back in the 1980's and 1990's I was a C/Ku-band satellite customer (those big 10 foot mesh dishes you used to see on people's roofs and in their back yards). Of course, one had to move the dish from satellite to satellite to pick-up all the channels and C/Ku-Band didn't have local channels, but the nice thing was that you could buy, from a myriad of programming brokers, just what you wanted. Many channels were just a couple of bucks a year, and for less than what I now pay monthly for Comcast (whose cable TV service is lousy, in my opinion, by the way - but I love their internet connection) I could get a whole year of the programming I wanted. Another upside was the ability to access network feeds of programming without commercials (these were how the networks delivered programming to their local affiliates) and so-called "back-haul" feeds of breaking news events. I was especially enamored of PBS' network feeds. No promo's between programs, just a countdown from 10, a beep and the program started. Best of all, there was NO PBS "Send Money Now"! I'd get the great

"pledge weeks" programming (when PBS used to save their best stuff for their beg-fests, unlike now when they have nothing to show during their endless pledges, and show that nothing over and over again dozens of times) with nothing but 30 seconds of dead air where the local stations were supposed to insert their local begging. This was the days of "Star Trek the Next Generation" and I got the commercial free feeds of those episodes as well.

But eventually, it all changed and less and less stuff was available - even encoded, that the amateur dish owner could access. I thought the idea of being able to buy just what you wanted to watch a'-la-carte was a great idea, and I'd wish cable and small-dish satellite providers would go back to it. But of course, they won't, because their present model is too lucrative for them. So I (and you too) get to pay for Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, and Middle Eastern programming as well as other programming that most of us have no use for and will never watch. Bah!

George

Apple / Comcast what it could mean for music. Interesting talks between these two giants could be significant for music.

What is the significance to a computer audiophile? Comcast is a cable company and Apple owns low resolution lossy iTunes. Neither company's low resolution music products are of interest to me.

I take that as your not a cable subscriber.

I'm not a cable subscriber either. Broadcast TV has been free since it was invented that is why there are TV commercials to pay for the programming. All one needs is a cheap antenna and one can get lots of over the air free TV, much in 1080 high resolution. Digital TV in the Reno area has over 20 channels and all come in perfectly all the time. And if one wants more free TV there are free online services such as the basic Hulu.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

What is the significance to a computer audiophile? Comcast is a cable company and Apple owns low resolution lossy iTunes. Neither company's low resolution music products are of interest to me.

I'm not a cable subscriber either. Broadcast TV has been free since it was invented that is why there are TV commercials to pay for the programming. All one needs is a cheap antenna and one can get lots of over the air free TV, much in 1080 high resolution. Digital TV in the Reno area has over 20 channels and all come in perfectly all the time. And if one wants more free TV there are free online services such as the basic Hulu.

My original post was meant to infer what "could" be significant. The significance "could" be that cable subscribers "might" have a cleaner and more open pipeline for streaming or downloading music if Apple were to have access to Comcasts proprietary pipeline. I realize that you personally have no interest in the streaming paradigm but there are "computer audiophiles" out here that do and for them the possibility that a higher resolution stream of their favorite music "may" become available if there were a cleaner pipeline for a company such as Apple to use is a good prospect.

As I had hoped I made clear in my post, it is purely speculation on my part that ANY of this could happen.

In subsequent reading the net neutrality laws could come into play which would preclude this from seeing the light of day.

David