IGNORED

DN2800MT sata port0 not activated in BIOS?

Hi All,

I have started to built my Caps V3 music server much in line with the Lagoon version.

I have some basic knowledge of computers, built two PC and am able to install most of the software with the occasional help from a befriended IT professional.

This is what I have right now:

-Caps V3 mini itx much in line with the Lagoon

-Windows 8 32 bit installed

-SSD 64 bit

-Paul Pang card

-Keces power supply to power the Caps and PP card separately (Currently using the standard power supply)

-Buffalo Technology external DriveStation Combo 4, 2 TB (HD-HS2.0TQ-EU)

-intended software Jriver

Connection to internet via hard-wire

Connection to Teac Dac via USB

My goal is only to use USB for the Paul Pang card and want to store my music on the external HDD via a sata-esata cable.

I can see the HDD in the hardware but I cannot do anything with it nor get to it's content with file explorer.

On my regular PC the External drive works fine, connected with USB

The BIOS states that the sata port0 where the hdd is connected to is not activated and does not give me the possibility to activate.

I have been trying to update the bios but have not succeeded. The latest Intel version will not work, maybe because the motherboard is a new production board not produced by Intel?

How can I activate sata port0?

Where can I find a working BIOS for this motherboard?

Am I missing another solution to get the external HDD to work?

Thanks for your help,

Jock

Music Server: Caps v3, ssd, ppa usb3 v2 card, external usb hdd, Keces Powersupply,Windows Server 2016, JRiver, audio optimizer. DAC: Teac UD-501. Amplifier: SSE tube amb with Class D L15D Amps for lower frequencies Mini DSP Open Baffle Tangband w8-1808 and double Emminence Alpha15 Cables: Signal Cable USA, Chord silverplus usb.

In addition: the motherboard is a

Mitac PD11TI Thin Mini-ITX replacement for Intel DN2800MT

PD11TI Intel Atom Mini-ITX Motherboard | Cedarview | Logic Supply

Music Server: Caps v3, ssd, ppa usb3 v2 card, external usb hdd, Keces Powersupply,Windows Server 2016, JRiver, audio optimizer. DAC: Teac UD-501. Amplifier: SSE tube amb with Class D L15D Amps for lower frequencies Mini DSP Open Baffle Tangband w8-1808 and double Emminence Alpha15 Cables: Signal Cable USA, Chord silverplus usb.

Jock -

I may be showing complete ignorance of your situation here, and if so kindly correct me...

I just finished putting together a CAPS-3 Carbon with that same motherboard, and installed a second internal sata drive (a HDD). Initially, after I connected it, and turned on the computer, the HDD spun, but would not show up as a drive on the computer at all. However, when I went to the list of drives on the device manager it was listed, to my surprise. What I then remembered was that I needed to initialize and allocate the HDD before it would work. I had done this before on W7. I needed to search the net for how to do it in W8.1. When I did it, I was in business. I can give more details about how if this seems like it might be worth a try.

Randy

The world is but one country, and mankind its citizens.

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

Thank you Hifidelit. I'll look into that.

Randy, I think that what you describe is exactly my problem. Can you please explain what steps to take to get it to work?

Thank you

Jock

Jock -

The spot to initialize a hard disk is kind of hidden. Here is a way to get there in W8:

How to Add a Hard-drive to Windows 8

A couple of other tips:

On the initialization window I found that the hard drive with the operating system is labeled "0" and the one to be initialized is "1". (I was worried at first that I might mess up my main drive by choosing "1".)

When the new drive is initialized you are half way there. Next you have to allocate the disk. There is an option for that in the initialization window. I just wanted a single volume (or some such name) and not divided so I took the upper menu option, and then I think it assigned a single drive letter, and was done, and I was good to go.

If you need any further help, please post back.

Randy

Living Room: Caps2/JRiver 19/Fidelizer > Wireworld Platinum USB > Calyx DAC/KingRex PSU > Kimber Heroes > Bryston BP-26/4B-SST > Kimber 8TC > B&W 802D.

Den: CAPS3 Carbon/SOtM USB/JRiver 20/Fidelizer/Uptone JS-2 power supply>Totaldac USB > Off Ramp5/Dynamo PS/Short Block via I2S > PS Audio Silver HDMI > W4S Dac2DSDse/femto upgrade > Triode Wire Labs IC > Bryston B100-SST > Kimber 8VS > B&W SCMS. (Triode Wire Labs power cables).

I just went to that site that I posted, and their way of getting to the initialization window wasn't so obvious on my computer.

Here's another way that just worked for me:

Open control panel

Then double click on administrative tools

Then double click on computer management

Then double click on disk management (on the lower left of the window)

You are there...

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for trying to help out here. Unfortunately after trying this and everrything else I can think of it still won't work so I am considering using the usb instead.

Best regards,

Jock

What version bios is that board running? The latest for dn2800mt is 0170 - is that the one you have tried on the Mitac? What happens when you try to update?

Current bios: Mitac Corp MTCDT10N.85T.200.2013.0814.1345, 8/14/2013

Message trying update to 0170 "This program is unable to continue. The bios you are trying to update to is invalid for your system"

Jock

Have you contacted Logic supply as they said in your link in post 2:

Produced by Mitac, Intel's OEM, The PD11TI is an identical, long-life replacement for the DN2800MT, which was discontinued by Intel. Available through 2015 and carrying the same certifications as the Intel Marshalltown board (including CE, FCC, and UL), the PD11TI also offers the same BIOS and compatibility. Ideal for embedded applications including data-logging and factory automation, especially when paired with the ML200 fanless compact case in the AG150 fanless industrial computer.

Mitac shows one BIOS file for this board on their support site: MT0200C; it seems to have been added recently (04/01/2014). I found no direct link, you have to start here and the click through until you reach the PD11TI.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Fidelit, no I have not contacted logic supply

Iago, thanks. Unfortunately the link brings me to a page where I need to login?

Jock

Unfortunately the link brings me to a page where I need to login?

Oh sorry, I have not seen something that stupid for some time. The login data is passed by the page it is linked from!

Please go to this page and click on Download Center. It will lead you to the page I mentioned previously.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Thanks, found it. It's the same as my current BIOS

OK, let's forget about the BIOS, it's only circumstantial.

To which SATA port do you connect your external disk? The grey one seems to be shared; if I interpret the manual correctly, it cannot be used when one of the extension card slots is used. Where is the Paul Pang connected to? And where did you plug in your second SSD - the black connector?

One internal SATA connector (multiplexed with mSATA port , routed to PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot) (gray)

ppa card: pciexpress 1.oa x 1 add-in card controler: intell DN2800MT manual p 12-13 DD

SSD: pciexpress full-/half-mini card slot : BB

HDD: sata 3.0 Gb/s port 0 connector: K (black)

Memory: DDR-3 SO DIMM 1 socket: R

Power PPA card: Sata powerconnector - I (wrong name in list)

DN2800MT_layout.jpg

[This is the illustration from the manual, I think you referred to the product guide]

So the gray one is SATA port #1 and the black one should always work.

I would normally contact Mitac support at that stage, describe the configuration, and ask about SATA port #0. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any reference to a contact address. mitacservice.com (which hosts the BIOS file) is in Chinese. There is just an email address of the sales department (on the bottom of the second link I posted). Maybe they can give you a referral.

Possibly Mitac is OEM only and will not provide end user support. In this case, if you bought it at Logic Supply, try their support.

Maybe they've disabled the wrong port - the grey port is multiplexed with the m-sata (from the product guide for the original dn2800mt, the sata power and m-sata slot are wrongly described in table 2 compared to the figure 1 labelling as H and I have been reversed):

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20714/eng/DN2800MT_ProductGuide03_English.pdf

NOTE

If you install an mSATA drive in the board’s PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot, SATA

port 1 (gray) will be disabled.

You could try removing the m-sata. I presume you have tried the grey port with the hdd?

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get this sorted out?

Hi, thanks for the interest.

Unfortunately not.

I have contacted logic supply about two weeks ago with no response yet.

For now I have been focusing on getting music by setting up the connection via the usb connection and setting up a script to start fidelizer, shut down the automatic start of the website and than start jriver. So now I can control it using Jremote on my ipad and Gizmo for the other tablet. It works most of the time :-) except that I cannot control any internet streaming from the remotes.

The plan is still to get the sata to work because I think that would be the nicest way to do thinks but for now I am stuck. The only thing I can think of and haven't tried is changing the sata protocol in the bios.

Best regards,

Jock

Oh, and finishing these speakers (Kirishima full range next to my 'old' Visaton Concordes) took some time also...

foto8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. No news on solving the sata problem.

I am running the external hdd through the Pci-express half to mincard port now using a small card that coverts this port to a usb port. (J on the diagram posted by Iago earlier) This works fine and doesn't share with the usb ports of the motherboard. You do need a 90 degree usb connector to make it all fit.

Jock