IGNORED

Is Acousticsounds.com a reputable website to buy from?

Well my main concern is that I have purchased two albums from HDTracks and everything went just fine.

However, I want to now buy Thriller and Bad from Michael Jackson.

However, I see that acousticsounds has the DSD version of Thriller and a higher sample rate version of Bad.

I just want to ask if anyone has purchased from them and if the files are legit, hi-res songs. Should I really opt for them instead of the HDTracks versions?

I like them better than HDTracks (coming from a guy who has been accused of being an HDTracks employee before…which I'm not). Acoustic Sounds is very reputable. The music quality a matter of opinion but I find many of their DSD masters to be exceptional.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

When it comes to physical products, they have outrageous overseas shipping rates and slow customer support.

Considering downloads, I think they are more trustworthy than HDtracks, since many of the files are from their own Analogue Productions label, or come from previous Sony SACD releases. So the mastering quality is known.

Claude

Awesome guys!

So I guess it is safe to buy from them!

Im just now waiting for Spoon from illustrator to confirm to me that dbpoweramp music converter can convert the DSD files into AIFF (so that I can then add them to iTunes and sync the music to my iphone and have them there as well).

If Spoon gives me the go signal, then I will be proceeding to purchase those two albums from acousticsounds.

Im just now waiting for Spoon from illustrator to confirm to me that dbpoweramp music converter can convert the DSD files into AIFF (so that I can then add them to iTunes and sync the music to my iphone and have them there as well).

Before I had a DSD DAC, I had to convert my SACD rips from DSD to AIFF for playback. I found the best way (for me) was to use KORG AudioGate which is free with a Tweeter account (I set up a dummy account to register). This let's you convert from DSD to 16 or 24 bit at any bit rate from 44.1 to 192 (I used to use 24/176.4 typically but 16/44.1 would be fine for iTunes copies).

Most folks seem to agree it is a high quality program for this purpose.

Best,

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Awesome guys!

If Spoon gives me the go signal, then I will be proceeding to purchase those two albums from acousticsounds.

I'm not Spoon but I have DBPoweramp (and Audiogate and some others) and it indeed converts DSF to AIFF. I could include a screenshot if needed. The pulldown for conversion does not allow for 88k or 176k (strangely enough, as they are normally a slightly safer pick since they are integer multiples) but for 96k or 192k, yes.

If you have no intent to later go with a DSD-dac then, of course, save your money and buy the store's cheaper PCM version since you are converting anyway.

Awesome guys!

Absolutely. I've purchased many SACDs and more recently a number of DSD music downloads from them.

The Super HiRez download software, licensed from JRiver, is really well done. It brings down 3 songs at a time to speed downloads along. Very nice.

Absolutely. I've purchased many SACDs and more recently a number of DSD music downloads from them.

The Super HiRez download software, licensed from JRiver, is really well done. It brings down 3 songs at a time to speed downloads along. Very nice.

Looks like the same download software that HDTracks uses, also from JRiver.

I agree, works well.

But one question, perhaps someone can answer: Why do these audio file downloads need separate software to get from their servers to your computer? I mean, I've downloaded tons of files for years just using my browser.

Is the separate download software mainly for hand-holding, so to speak?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Before I had a DSD DAC, I had to convert my SACD rips from DSD to AIFF for playback. I found the best way (for me) was to use KORG AudioGate which is free with a Tweeter account (I set up a dummy account to register). This let's you convert from DSD to 16 or 24 bit at any bit rate from 44.1 to 192 (I used to use 24/176.4 typically but 16/44.1 would be fine for iTunes copies).

Most folks seem to agree it is a high quality program for this purpose.

Best,

John

Awesome, I'll keep that program in mind if I need it in the future.

I'm not Spoon but I have DBPoweramp (and Audiogate and some others) and it indeed converts DSF to AIFF. I could include a screenshot if needed. The pulldown for conversion does not allow for 88k or 176k (strangely enough, as they are normally a slightly safer pick since they are integer multiples) but for 96k or 192k, yes.

If you have no intent to later go with a DSD-dac then, of course, save your money and buy the store's cheaper PCM version since you are converting anyway.

Im kinda lost when it comes to downsampling during conversion, why is it better to pick a multiple of the sample rate? Is it really bad to convert to a non-multiple sample rate? Why wouldnt dbpoweramp allow to convert to a multiple-of sample rate?

Also, Spoon told me there are 3 DSD formats and also two variants (64 and 128 bits). I thought there were only two formats and I had no idea of the bits. I need to do homework.

UPDATE: Ok so if there are 3 formats: .dff .dsf

What is the third one?

About the 64-bit and 128-bit, this is the sample depth right?

I'm not sure if they are calling DSDIFF, DFF, and DSF three formats (it is really two) or if they are including .ISO files as a third DSD format (that would make more sense).

John

I'm not sure if they are calling DSDIFF, DFF, and DSF three formats (it is really two) or if they are including .ISO files as a third DSD format (that would make more sense).

John

Spoon didnt mention which format, he just said it probably wont be supported anytime soon due to the fact that it is rare and is not worth development and suppor time for now. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?33576-Acousticsounds-com-DSD-albums-compatibility-with-CD-Ripper&p=144454#post144454

Now my question is, in what format are the DSD downloads from AcousticSounds? Are they in DSF? If so, that means they include ID tags as well as the cover art right?

Spoon didnt mention which format, he just said it probably wont be supported anytime soon due to the fact that it is rare and is not worth development and suppor time for now. Acousticsounds.com DSD albums, compatibility with CD Ripper?

Now my question is, in what format are the DSD downloads from AcousticSounds? Are they in DSF? If so, that means they include ID tags as well as the cover art right?

The format of the Acoustic Sounds DSD are DSF. They include metadata, artist, track name and #,Album, Genre and cover art. And, the DSF don't click at start either.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The format of the Acoustic Sounds DSD are DSF. They include metadata, artist, track name and #,Album, Genre and cover art. And, the DSF don't click at start either.

Interesting, what is that all about? I never heard anything about that before...

Right. The DSF files work well with JRiver - comes in via Import complete with Album Cover art.

Looks like the same download software that HDTracks uses, also from JRiver.

I agree, works well.

But one question, perhaps someone can answer: Why do these audio file downloads need separate software to get from their servers to your computer? I mean, I've downloaded tons of files for years just using my browser.

Is the separate download software mainly for hand-holding, so to speak?

I expect JRiver is mostly about associating available music from the site with a purchase and an account and implementing good error processing to log whether a repeat download is need if the original download failed.

Cycleman, Your absolutely right, theirs no legit reason to require you to install a specialty downloader. All computers have at least a few ways to download files already available. They also have plenty of media players that can organize, etc your music library for you. So you have to question why ASI, HDT, itunes, etc require you to install theirs?

bottlerocket, I think you give JRiver software too much credit.

Until around the first of the year AS didn't require JRiver to download, after purchase they would just send you a link to the file and you would download it. Some time around the first of the year they changed this to the JRiver manager requirement. Sad, since that was the reason I used them instead of HDT. When I wrote to ask for a refund on my latest purchase since I run Linux and could no longer access their files, they did sent me a link to the album I purchased, but was told this was the last time they could do this for me and informed me many Linux users were running the JRiver's software (spyware) by installing it inside Wine.

I guess they don't get the point but if your going to install closed source software on your Linux system whats the point of running Linux. JRivers software is closed source and you have no idea what it's doing behind it's locked and hidden code doors. I guarantee its doing data collection on your media interests (minimally) and then revealing (selling) it to only God knows who.

So sadly for now I have no way acceptable to me purchase the HizRez files I'm interested in.

I'm only hoping that when the Pono store opens they will offer a way to purchase albums without first having to install their version of a spyware download manager.

Sal

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.