IGNORED

Celeron 1037U

Has anyone used boards featuring the Celeron 1037U in music player builds? My understanding is that this is (in some ways) Intel's replacement for the Atom in low powered systems.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Another possible alternative (more powerful) could be Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V.

That looks good to me too. Quad core and fanless. GIGABYTE - Motherboard - CPU Onboard - GA-J1900N-D3V (rev. 1.0)

I see that Logic Supply are now stocking the 'Extended Life' version of the now-discontinued DN2800 board used in the CAPS project. Intel DN2800MTE Intel Atom N2800 Mini-ITX Motherboard | Cedarview | Logic Supply

Either of these looks good to me. I'm not sure the extra cores in that Celeron combo would be of extra benefit just for music playback, but it would seem a good all-rounder for home theatre use.

Nice. That's a dual core rather than quad, but looks like a good Atom replacement.

Doesn't seem to be available yet, but we won't have to wait long I'm sure.

Gigabyte's DualCore version is fully passive cooled too and available. It plays in my music-server since february. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
The Gigabyte has 2 ethernet RJ-45 ports. Where would you find a case for this?

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - CPU Onboard - GA-C1037UN (rev. 2.0)

Any standard Mini ITX case and use the port shield supplied...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I am running Win7-64. Check the website of the manufacturer, they list the supported operating systems. But Win8 is supported too. Server 2012 should work, I think.

After reading this thread and others, I'm interested in getting a J1800 board. Probably, the Gigabyte.

However, I've been reading more about people running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I'm guessing the Win 8.1 drivers would work, but would love to know if anyone has tried it.

John

Get solid capacitors then. This one is only 10w. Newegg.com - ASRock Q1900B-ITX Intel Celeron J1900 2.0GHz Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR NM70I-1037U Intel Celeron 1037U Dual-Core 1.8GHz Intel NM70 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

Any good? I'm thinking about capacitors. I'd like to have this in a fanless chassis but I don't really want it to crap out in only a few years.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

We're using an Intel NUC in an audio device we're building. It uses this Celeron:

Intel® Celeron® processor N2820

(up to 2.4GHz dual-core, 1MB cache, 7.5W TDP)

It works fine for audio.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

We're using an Intel NUC in an audio device we're building. It uses this Celeron:

Intel® Celeron® processor N2820

(up to 2.4GHz dual-core, 1MB cache, 7.5W TDP)

It works fine for audio.

Will it do tough processing like upsample to DSD 128 on the fly? I'm asking b/c I want to buy/build a fanless server capable of doing just that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I was thinking just now, with one of these low power CPU builds you might be able to use this linear power supply. All you'd need is a 3 pin XLR to whatever DC plug your computer uses, most likely 2.5 mm x 5.5mm. I don't assume anything though. Would someone confirm or deny this? PS I'd recommend Brad at Revelation Audio for the cable. :) I have one coming for my laptop.

Astron Power Supplies RS-5C - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

Replying to my own is gauche, I"m sure. If you google Astron and hum you'll find some upset Astron owners. It turns out the factory improperly applied varnish which causes an annoying hum.

So on to my next crazy plan!!

It involves 10 Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries. These are Ni-MH AA with 1.2V and 2,550 mA. 10 will equal 12V and 25.5 amps. The latest Bakoon headphone amp uses 12 of these, so proof of concept. The question remains, can they maintain their current?

"My experience (but with NiMH batteries) is that even the best ones (ex. the Eneloops) cannot provide the full capacity from the specifications for currents higher than 1/20. "

http://ve2zaz.net/blog/index.php?/archives/13-A-too-good-to-be-true-6800-mAh-Li-Ion-12V-battery-pack....html

now 1/20 the 25.5 amp = 1.275 amp. 12V x 1.275 amp equals 15.3W. That's about 1.5x the 10W TDP of the ASRock board with solid caps, so somebody please tell me if I'm onto something here. Thanks in advance.

PS If you're on the fence about the sonic impact of AA batteries, please read this.

Portable Headphone Amplifier "WAGNUS Bialbero Epsilon S" impression and appreciation thread - Page 10

Portable Headphone Amplifier "WAGNUS Bialbero Epsilon S" impression and appreciation thread - Page 18

It involves 10 Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries. These are Ni-MH AA with 1.2V and 2,550 mA. 10 will equal 12V and 25.5 amps.

No, the cells are too small. What you are treating as a current is a capacity (product of current * time). Putting multiple cells in parallel would increase their current delivery (because the output current is split over the cells and time is invariant), while putting them in series will increase voltage but keep the current delivery capability constant (the current passes through all cells at the same time). You will arrive at the same result if you calculate energy storage capacity (current * voltage * time) for the circuit.

Couldn't you use larger cells (C or D) or maybe a 12V module like they use in model racing? Your board will probably draw 0,5A to 1A steady state and 1A to 2A during boot. Your battery array needs a energy capacity around 20 Wh for useful operation. If you limit current draw to 5% of the (current) capacity 20h * 12V * 0,75A = 180 Wh. That's a small motorcycle battery.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra