IGNORED

Help setting up a music server

I am a complete nubie regarding a music server, My system is pretty good and I am looking to add a high quality computer based system. I am thinking of using a Mac Mini controlled by an i pad. would like to go direct to my Wadia 781 my input choices are 1. Glass fiber-optic [sT] 2. AES/EBU[XLR 3. SP/DIF [bNC] and 4. plastic optical [toslik]

My questions I this possible to go direct to the inputs of the Wadia? I want to keep it simple.

What type of program do I need for the I pad to communicate with the Mac Mini?

I will most likely be using external hard drives for music storage, thoughts on good ones for that?

am sure that I will have more questions, My quest is to set up a simple System that will not disappoint me.

Thanks In Advance, Ken

I am a complete nubie regarding a music server, My system is pretty good and I am looking to add a high quality computer based system. I am thinking of using a Mac Mini controlled by an i pad. would like to go direct to my Wadia 781 my input choices are 1. Glass fiber-optic [sT] 2. AES/EBU[XLR 3. SP/DIF [bNC] and 4. plastic optical [toslik]

My questions I this possible to go direct to the inputs of the Wadia? I want to keep it simple.

What type of program do I need for the I pad to communicate with the Mac Mini?

I will most likely be using external hard drives for music storage, thoughts on good ones for that?

am sure that I will have more questions, My quest is to set up a simple System that will not disappoint me.

Thanks In Advance, Ken

Hi Ken and welcome aboard.

I see two options for connection from a Mac Mini to your Wadia 781. You can use a mini Toslink to Toslink connection or you can get a USB To SPDIF converter and use the digital coax input.

The Toslink connection will limit you to 24/96 files. The digital coax will give you up to 24/192.

You out will warn to use a library management and playback software tool with the most common being use iTunes. Many users will use a third party software for playback (Amarra, Audivrana, Pure Music etc) that works in conjunction with iTunes as the data manager. There are various reasons to do so. Using that you can control the music with the Apple Remote app from your iPad. There are other solutions like JRiver for Mac that provide both functions and in my opinion has the best remote app out there in JRemote.

I have had had a preference for the Lacie Quadra HDD mainly based on build quality.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Thanks for the info, now what Mac mini to use? Should I be concerned more with memory or the hard drive capacity ? the way I see it if I get the hardware right I can always play with the software. If you were to pick the mini what one you you choose?

Thanks for the info, now what Mac mini to use? Should I be concerned more with memory or the hard drive capacity ? the way I see it if I get the hardware right I can always play with the software. If you were to pick the mini what one you you choose?

I would get the basic Mac Mini and load it up with Ram a minimum of 8GB. Many recommend getting a SSD. I would buy Thunderbolt external HDD. iTunes of course is free and can be utilized right away. The others offer free trials. I would also recommend another free software, XLD, for ripping CDs. I believe it to be a better tool for ripping than iTunes.

Frank Zappa
I would get the basic Mac Mini and load it up with Ram a minimum of 8GB. Many recommend getting a SSD. I would buy Thunderbolt external HDD. iTunes of course is free and can be utilized right away. The others offer free trials. I would also recommend another free software, XLD, for ripping CDs. I believe it to be a better tool for ripping than iTunes.

Thanks for your help and recommendations I will check out the XLD.

Thanks for your help and recommendations I will check out the XLD.

Would it Be ok to put about 800 CDs on the Mac mini? Or should all of the music be on an external drive? I do plan on putting my high res. music on the external.

IMO it is better to invest into NAS like Synology than external hard drive.

This solution has many advantages (security, more space, can be placed remotely from the computer minimising noise, lets you store photos, movies, backup your laptop etc) and one main disadvantage - cost.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Would it Be ok to put about 800 CDs on the Mac mini? Or should all of the music be on an external drive? I do plan on putting my high res. music on the external.

I would put everything on the external and use iTunes or JRiver to keep it managed and in the same file path location.

If you need or want to separate high resolution files for some purpose create a Smart Playlist

Frank Zappa
I am ripping my CD's to I tunes on a PC I plan on putting them on hard drive from the PC will the Mac Mini work with that system?

I believe so using home sharing with both computers authorized to the same iTunes account.....

As of late when considering music servers and 'headless' systems I've been leaning more and more towards the features of today's laptops as the better all around solution given the accessibility and portability factors.

• 2 weeks later...

OK a little more help needed, I hope it is something simple. I have the mini and a LaCie hard drive hooked up to the Wadia using a Peachtee X1 the wadia reads no data but I do get the music playing in the Ipad. I am using splashtop with the Ipad.

a

• 2 weeks later...
OK a little more help needed, I hope it is something simple. I have the mini and a LaCie hard drive hooked up to the Wadia using a Peachtee X1 the wadia reads no data but I do get the music playing in the Ipad. I am using splashtop with the Ipad.

a

After hooking it up via a optical cable I figured out the X1 was defective.. So now I have sound and pretty good too. However I cannot access the hard drive I am using J river also the j river is very slow to start. Is this normal starting to think I went the wrong route.