IGNORED

squeezebox touch edo problem

Hello,

My ethernet streaming set up is Imac/itunes->sbt/edo->usb to w4s dac-2dsdse. No problem streaming 24/96 but my first 24/192 HDtracks download stutters badly. I assume that edo is installed properly because the sbt does usb out and my dac displays 24/92. Any hints?

Thanks,

pb-

Are you wireless to the SBT or wired? I had problems wireless, even with an access point less than 4 feet away. I connected by ethernet and my stuttering went away.

Somewhere in the SBT menu you can get a measure of the wireless signal strength.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Wired connection- The audio midi setup on my 27" mid 2011 Imac is set

at it's highest resolution option of 24/96. There is no 24/192 option. Since

my dac displays 24/192 during the stuttering playback does this eliminate

the audio midi setup as a possible problem?

pb-

Imac/itunes->sbt/edo->usb to w4s dac-2dsdse

Sometimes when stuttering occurs, the computer may be doing other things while sending music data. To troubleshoot this problem shut down the machine and restart it. Now examine the software running on the computer looking for unnecessary programs that could be hogging the cpu.

As a rule, anything to do with the internet can be problematic. In particular, email clients and web browsers that go looking for something on the WAN (Wide Area Network) will takes virtually forever in terms of how long it takes to actually get what they went to get. This can lead to very high latency which is often a source of stuttering during playback.

There are tools that can help determine if any programs you run are hindering or helping.

Wired connection- The audio midi setup on my 27" mid 2011 Imac is set

at it's highest resolution option of 24/96. There is no 24/192 option. Since

my dac displays 24/192 during the stuttering playback does this eliminate

the audio midi setup as a possible problem?

pb-

Imac/itunes->sbt/edo->usb to w4s dac-2dsdse

Sorry but this is outside my knowledge base as I am PC based and only use iTunes to load my iPod. Somehow I would think you can bypass the midi setup and only use iTunes as a database. Using iTunes for 24-192 has been discussed in the forums.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

jcbenten is correct; Audio Midi is completely ignored using LMS (Squeezebox Server).

I assume you have

iMac --ethernet--> router

router --ethernet--> Squeezebox --USB--> DAC

Do you have a SPDIF cable you could try between the Squeezebox and the DAC?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for all the much needed advice. I don't take this site for granted and am always pleased at the generosity of participants to help others. WDtracks issued a refund for the 24/192 and I re-purchased the same music in 24/96. When time permits I will try the SPDIF cable. I hope this is not the case as dac's marketing touts the specific benefits of the usb connection. My Imac server doubles as the household computer so there is a limit to how many non-music functions may be curtailed. Someday I'll replace the sbt with a mac mini or more robust streaming solution. Today I'll enjoy 24/96.

Thanks,

pb

Thanks for all the much needed advice. I don't take this site for granted and am always pleased at the generosity of participants to help others. WDtracks issued a refund for the 24/192 and I re-purchased the same music in 24/96. When time permits I will try the SPDIF cable. I hope this is not the case as dac's marketing touts the specific benefits of the usb connection. My Imac server doubles as the household computer so there is a limit to how many non-music functions may be curtailed. Someday I'll replace the sbt with a mac mini or more robust streaming solution. Today I'll enjoy 24/96.

Thanks,

pb

If you are in the SB universe you might want to look at Community Squeeze, a community based project to continue and enhance the SB universe.

Community Squeeze is running on a small computer called the Wandboard and includes it's own linux distribution called CSOS (Community Squeeze OS). The current state is you buy a Wandboard (either dual or quad), download CSOS, copy it to a micro SD card, plug that into the Wandboard and you are ready to go. There is a webgui for setup. This is primarily used right now for USB DACs for which it works extremely well. There is an optical S/PDIF and HDMI jack, both these can be used to play music, but the number of people doing that is small compared to those using USB. For control you can use any of the exissting SB control apps or the web page of the server. The Wandboard also has HDMI jack and there is a simple control interface available through that (based on what is in the SBT)

CSOS also has a built in LMS (full version) that runs very well on the Wandboard, a lot of people are using this built in server, you can go either way, use it as just a player or as a server as well.

We are also going to be offering our own player with builtin DAC, this has been designed but we are waiting for some software drivers before building the first batch. This will be a very good sounding player.

Some info on this can be found at:

Community Squeeze

CSOS on the Wandboard can go up to 384 on the USB port so it should be able to handle your high res files with ease.

John S.