IGNORED

Portable audio ... a straw poll ...

How do you listen to music on the move (specifically via headphones)?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I carry a "cell phone" because it:

Tunes guitars

Scans bar and qr codes

is a news reader

decibel meter

scientific calculator

flashlight

HDR camera

1080 hd video camera

slo mo camera

streams music/radio from the internet

streams music from my hard drive at home

plays all music files flac/mp3/ oog/ ape etc...

calendar day planner

shopping pantry list

portable hard drive 75gb storage

night stand clock

stopwatch

kitchen timer

metronome

connects wirelessly to my home printer

prints pdf photos etc...

browses internet

gps turn by turn maps navigation

translates foreign print from pictures

tracks airline flights in real time by pointing it at the sky

email facebook

real time night sky star mapping

edit office documents

download torrents music movies

thread pitch gauge

paypal/ online banking

Has in it's memory the complete works of Shakespeare, Checkov and Herman Melville.

current weather based on my location

google earth

google maps

stylus pen for note taking

handwriting recognition ie hand writing to text

locks and unlocks automatically depending upon connection to trusted wifi or bluetooth device

uploads photos automatically to cloud storage

altimeter

unit measurement conversion

Controls stereo system

Oh yeah, it makes phone, voice and video, calls too.

Cheers

ken

OT some more...sorry:

for me the most important functions for my iPhone are map/navigation, and as a translation tool Mandarin <-> English. these two functions are necessary for my survival currently. rarely do I use it as a telephone. the ability to play music is a nice feature as is the clock with different time zones. and there is this communication app in great use here in China called WeChat (or Weixin) that allows people to communicate for free through text and picture messaging.

Teresa, you are truly a modern woman in a post-modern world.

(apologies to my friend Dave S. for stealing his line)

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

…Although I can certainly respect someone's desire not to have one, it's getting hard for me to imagine how someone can function socially or professionally without one. Similar to the way I feel about the few people I know in the DC area who don't have a car.

--David

David I don’t own a car either, I’m a bus rider.

I think it is more offensive to have someone nearly ignore the presence of another person while they are out in public listening to music with their headphones on…

Since getting rid of my iPod I talk to people more on the bus and in public. I hadn’t thought of the rudeness of wearing headphones in public. I guess I’ll just continue to listen to high resolution music only at home. When away from home I will take no devices except my wristwatch with me, sorry Pono I don’t want to appear rude in public.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Thread pitch gauge? Are there holes to screw them in like in the hardware store? How silly an app. By time you pull your phone out you could have counted the threads -twice! For that matter, if you cannot tell what the screws are, you ought not be messing with them...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Thread pitch gauge? Are there holes to screw them in like in the hardware store? How silly an app. By time you pull your phone out you could have counted the threads -twice! For that matter, if you cannot tell what the screws are, you ought not be messing with them...

Since you brought up Thread pitch gauge, the look like some ninja weapon GEO_251_zps3ee8ab8b.jpg

Anyway, I use my cell phone pretty much as klm666 has noted. And the use of said cell phone actually got used to call 911 to save a persons life a year ago at a traffic accident.

Ps: I support Pono and anything that can be done to support the personal enjoyment of music .

The Truth Is Out There

What you really need is a thread pitch diameter APP to replace these......

8822561-11.jpg

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I use it mostly on bolts not screws. :) It's come in handy several times in differentiating between metric bolts when I'm working on my bike and I'm too lazy to dig the thread pitch gauge out of the bottom of the tool chest.

Cheers

ken

Hmm, so do you just look at the pic and align the threads to see if they match? Still seems sort of silly to me, and fraught with potential issues. Maybe I am just used to "seeing" it. My shop is a hodge podge of US, Italian and German equipment, and my product uses both SAE and metric measurements.

I use it mostly on bolts not screws. :) It's come in handy several times in differentiating between metric bolts when I'm working on my bike and I'm too lazy to dig the thread pitch gauge out of the bottom of the tool chest.

Cheers

ken

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Cheers

ken

I use my mikes for engine rebuilds. Handy tool.

The Truth Is Out There

Hmm, so do you just look at the pic and align the threads to see if they match? Still seems sort of silly to me, and fraught with potential issues. Maybe I am just used to "seeing" it. My shop is a hodge podge of US, Italian and German equipment, and my product uses both SAE and metric measurements.

"and fraught with potential issues"

It most certainly is and is no replacement for a real thread pitch gauge, but at the side of the road or at Bob's Discount House of Mixed up Bolts And Hardware it's come in handy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBWREiD5a0

Cheeers

ken

Hi Eloise,

Nice poll!

While traveling (car, plane, in a hotel) and recreational activities I use an iPod Touch, either with Sennheiser on-ear or over-ear headphones (obviously not in the car; I plug the iPod in the car-stereo). I have never used a phone to listen to music.

I must confess that to me the 320kbps MP3s sound good enough for on the move.

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

I never/very seldom listen to music while actually traveling BUT, I listen to a powered speaker/phone/DAC when I get where I am going. I once saw someone oblivious to his surroundings loving his music/iPod get smashed by a SUV when he crossed a street, the vehicle making enough noise to wake the dead. Junior would have missed the next few months in a cast if he had been paying the slightest attention to the world around him.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

. . I must confess that to me the 320kbps MP3s sound good enough for on the move.

Redbook is minimum for me.

Is space so precious that you have to save at all costs?

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I use my iphone for music on the go, I supplement this with an ipod nano for longer journeys. Playing AIFFs at 44.1/16 and with a decent pair of in ear headphones (Shure E5Cs) I am very happy with the sound I get. All the kit is very small easily fits in a pocket or my briefcase.

That said I have bought a Pono. I not sure why I have but I am very excited about it....

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I too use my phone for a myriad of things, including listening to music via headphones or in the car either with stored music or the soon-to-be late, lamented MOG. I also have an ipod Nano that sometimes I use if I want to save my phone's battery, for instance on vacation when sitting by the pool reading cheap trashy novels on my Nook. Don't see a pono in my future. More storage is nice but that's about the only lure. 320 kps or redbook is fine for on-the-go listening, No need for a pono at home, computer audio works fine.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

Hi DigiPete,

It is not about saving space; I just do not hear the difference :)

Regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

...Is space so precious that you have to save at all costs?

For me all I need is enough room to store enough music to listen to until the portable needs recharging again and at that point I put different music on it.

I must confess that to me the 320kbps MP3s sound good enough for on the move.

Lucky you, that didn't quite work out for me.

When I had an iPod I had a nice and wonderful sounding pair of Sennheiser in-ear headphones and I much preferred the 24/48kHz ALAC files I created for it with XLD from my high resolution files. I just couldn't stand listening to AAC and MP3 music files on it, although I do agree with you that 320 kbps sounds much better than 128 kbps.

When I compared the sound on the computer of my XLD created 24/48 music files directly from the iPod, the computer output did indeed sound considerably better, what I am hoping is that the Ayre designed PONO has better sounding headphone outs.

I also found the original 24/192 and 24/96 music files to sound considerable better than my XLD created 24/48 versions played from my Mac Mini. It is either that 24/192 and 24/96 really do sound considerable better than 24/48 or XLD loses resolution. I believe that 24/192 and 24/96 really do sound better since none of my original 24/48 downloads sound as good as my higher resolution downloads.

Thus I no longer own an iPod because for me 24/48 is not good enough in any situation. I really demand a portable device that does at least 24/96 that is why I was looking at the $700 Astell & Kern AK100 prior to the announcement of PONO. I still might spring for the Astell & Kern AK100 as it also plays my DSD music files with a firmware update and listening to my DSD music files away from home would be really cool.

Anyway I see no reason the headphone outs of a well-designed portable player cannot sound as good as the headphone outs of a good home audio preamp.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Spoken like someone who hasn't used the app. It shows a profile in proper sizing on the screen and you match up the thread profile. Not everyone is a machinist or someone who can tell by looking. Especially useful if you don't know if something is metric or standard.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Space isn't the only question. Time to copy for instance is another, and matters when it comes to copying to your mobile player, particularly when you don't hear a difference (one doesn't usually listen to mobile music in anywhere near ideal conditions--which are needed to hear the minute differences (for most people).

Chris