IGNORED

Portable audio ... a straw poll ...

How do you listen to music on the move (specifically via headphones)?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple. You can hear the world around you with a cell phone to one ear while you are in a cocoon with a set of headphones on. Honestly? I'd rather see people walking down the street in a city chatting away on their phones than the blank stares I see on people with either ear buds or headphones on walking along trying not to look at anything.

My daughter and I were nearly squished at a cross-walk by a woman on a cell-phone. Knock on wood, I've yet to have something similar at the hands of someone with earbuds/headphones.

But to get back on topic, I'd much rather listen to music on a Pono player than any phone.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I don't listen to music, voluntarily, outside of my systems or a concert hall. I have a smart phone and, although it can support music playing, I have never used it for anything but emergency calls and for synching my calendar (most important use). My wife often plays music in the car but I try to ignore it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

But to get back on topic, I'd much rather listen to music on a Pono player than any phone.

Actually that's NOT on topic... As of today you can't have a Pono - the question is do you listen to music on your phone or a separate music player (when out and about) or neither.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Actually that's NOT on topic... As of today you can't have a Pono - the question is do you listen to music on your phone or a separate music player (when out and about) or neither.

Eloise

I am afraid to post anything now, for fear of getting shot for not being precisely on topic!:)

I am afraid to post anything now, for fear of getting shot for not being precisely on topic!:)

Ha ha ha...

All I mean is that there are plenty of threads extolling the virtue of Pono, but I was specifically asking a question if Pono would/could replace a device people already use/carry or if the expectation would be that people (at least who post here) will be carrying an additional device.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eloise

Fine!

As of today I'd rather listen to music on a Pono-like device than on a phone (and when the Pono comes out, I'll switch to the real thing).

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Separate music players are the work of Satan and anyone who uses them should be doused in holy water and burned at the stake (possibly in reverse order, as burning then dousing would seem to make for much more effective burning).

Stay on message! (Shaking my fist)

David

I always carry my 64GB iPhone 5 and either:

- Sennheiser Amperior with remote and mic

- Etymotic ER4TP IEM

Lossless Redbook sounds great and both have good noise isolation.

As I live in Scandinavia, my time and energy efficient transportation consists of walking, cycling and public transportation.

I most often enjoy music during any of those.

I prefer rented cars with USB interface so I can use one of my iPhones as GPS and music player.

My son and I enjoyed over 9000km like that road tripping across the US last summer ;-)

I would not leave my home without my phone and a means to play music.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

why do you own a cellphone?

I carry a "cell phone" because it:

Tunes guitars

Scans bar and qr codes

is a news reader

decibel meter

scientific calculator

flashlight

HDR camera

1080 hd video camera

slo mo camera

streams music/radio from the internet

streams music from my hard drive at home

plays all music files flac/mp3/ oog/ ape etc...

calendar day planner

shopping pantry list

portable hard drive 75gb storage

night stand clock

stopwatch

kitchen timer

metronome

connects wirelessly to my home printer

prints pdf photos etc...

browses internet

gps turn by turn maps navigation

translates foreign print from pictures

tracks airline flights in real time by pointing it at the sky

email facebook

real time night sky star mapping

edit office documents

download torrents music movies

thread pitch gauge

paypal/ online banking

Has in it's memory the complete works of Shakespeare, Checkov and Herman Melville.

current weather based on my location

google earth

google maps

stylus pen for note taking

handwriting recognition ie hand writing to text

locks and unlocks automatically depending upon connection to trusted wifi or bluetooth device

uploads photos automatically to cloud storage

altimeter

unit measurement conversion

Controls stereo system

Oh yeah, it makes phone, voice and video, calls too.

Cheers

ken

Tunes guitars

Scans bar and qr codes

is a news reader

decibel meter

scientific calculator

flashlight

HDR camera

1080 hd video camera

slo mo camera

calendar day planner

shopping pantry list

night stand clock

stopwatch

kitchen timer

metronome

prints pdf photos etc...

browses internet

email facebook

edit office documents

thread pitch gauge

paypal/ online banking

Has in it's memory the complete works of Shakespeare, Checkov and Herman Melville.

google earth

google maps

locks and unlocks automatically depending upon connection to trusted wifi or bluetooth device

altimeter

Controls stereo system

Cheers

ken

nice

You are in big trouble for getting off topic though.

David

For me it has to be Holy water first, followed by burning. The extra steam just adds to the drama. In my early witch burning career I enjoyed listening to the screams but these days I prefer simple headphone & mobile combination, though I don't worry too much about full isolation from external noises - you have to show some respect, don't you?

If I was doing a full Wickerman style burning, I'd lay on a stage, PA, and a couple of live bands. Maybe a stand-up to entertain the crowd as they gather, and put a smile on the faces of the victims. Nothing more off-putting than a surly witch tied to the stake.

I hate phones, but I did get an iPad mini with the cellular data option, and I have an app, called Talkatone, that let's me use it with a google voice phone number, so it is like a big dorky iPhone.

I only use an iPod in the car. We have an iPod classic with most of the music I have on it (some compressed on the fly by iTunes -- it is for the $100 car stereo) and audiobooks for long journeys with the kids.

I sometimes use audiotap on my iPad to stream music from my office.

Why wasn't that an option? Just because there are only 8 options is no reason to omit mine.

I always carry my 64GB iPhone 5 and either:

- Sennheiser Amperior with remote and mic

- Etymotic ER4TP IEM

Lossless Redbook sounds great and both have good noise isolation.

As I live in Scandinavia, my time and energy efficient transportation consists of walking, cycling and public transportation.

I most often enjoy music during any of those.

I prefer rented cars with USB interface so I can use one of my iPhones as GPS and music player.

My son and I enjoyed over 9000km like that road tripping across the US last summer ;-)

I would not leave my home without my phone and a means to play music.

You bike with an iPhone?

Tunes guitars

Scans bar and qr codes

is a news reader

decibel meter

scientific calculator

flashlight

HDR camera

1080 hd video camera

slo mo camera

calendar day planner

shopping pantry list

night stand clock

stopwatch

kitchen timer

metronome

prints pdf photos etc...

browses internet

email facebook

edit office documents

thread pitch gauge

paypal/ online banking

google earth

google maps

altimeter

Controls stereo system

Cheers

ken

I was going to post a similar list. Until warned about being on topic. You have risked the burning, dousing and whatever for me. I also could double the size of your list as well as include most of it with what I have found useful to do on the smart phone.

So to be on topic as explaining why I don't carry a separate music player, a smart phone does at least 200 truly useful things for me on a regular basis. Included in that is music playback (and sometimes video). The music playback is of quite good quality. I am guessing in absolute terms it might be 95% of what the Pono is. As much as I love quality music, would I carry a device larger than my multi-useful phone for one purpose already covered 95% by the phone, and in addition to it? I think the answer will be no.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

What kind of bike, and does it come with holy water bottle cage and air pump for fanning flames under witches that use cell phones and get off the thread topic?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I hate phones, but I did get an iPad mini with the cellular data option, and I have an app, called Talkatone, that let's me use it with a google voice phone number, so it is like a big dorky iPhone.

I only use an iPod in the car. We have an iPod classic with most of the music I have on it (some compressed on the fly by iTunes -- it is for the $100 car stereo) and audiobooks for long journeys with the kids.

I sometimes use audiotap on my iPad to stream music from my office.

Why wasn't that an option? Just because there are only 8 options is no reason to omit mine.

Yes, your option should have been on the list. Talkatone is quite a nice app. I use it myself on a tablet. Nice free second phone number that only a select few people are allowed to know.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Eloise,

Your recent two threads both seem destined to veer badly off topic. What is going on? Do we need special topic cops?

On the road, cutting grass (which can take 2+ hours), blowing leaves, and occasionally in bed, I use 2 @ Zune 120 GB, a Zune HD 32 GB, and a couple of 5th Gen iPod Nanos. My preference are the Zunes as they sound much better than the Nanos (all music at CD quality, no MP3 or AAC). At the gym I use the Nanos as they are much smaller. My earphones are primarily Westone UM3x but I also have the B&W C5 and Shure 315. When driving on the road and I do not have a satellite radio, I will listen to the Zunes through the Auxiliary port.

I do not use my Android (work phone) to listen to music to save the battery. At home in the garage I occasionally stream Pandora or Slacker through the phone. Mostly prior to Austin City Limits Musicfest to see whom I need to see at the show as one, if not both, will have a channel with the scheduled bands.

I am looking forward to the Pono because, if it lives up to expectations, I can dump the Zune's and Nano's and the associated file inventories.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I listen to my iPhone 4S through Klipsch S4i noise-isolating earbuds using Onkyo HF Player or Audioforge Equalizer. My daily commute involves either a crowded subway or taxi ride of 30-40 minutes X 2, so the ability to listen to music helps make it more enjoyable/tolerable. Walking through certain parts of Shanghai (like to/from my apartment to subway stop), it is best to have the earbuds in so as not to hear what others are saying or shilling, and to appear not to notice them (all the while my senses of vision and potential impending danger stay on high alert).

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I chose separate device for music on the go. Still, it shouldn't be construed from that choice that I would choose a Pono for portable use.

Why? I think it would probably be a waste to go for ultra high resolution for on the go listening. First of all how closely is one listening when on the go most of the time? Second, even with noise isolation headphones the background noise is still often too loud for really critical listening.

Chris

Tunes guitars

Scans bar and qr codes

is a news reader

decibel meter

scientific calculator

flashlight

HDR camera

1080 hd video camera

slo mo camera

calendar day planner

shopping pantry list

night stand clock

stopwatch

kitchen timer

metronome

prints pdf photos etc...

browses internet

email facebook

edit office documents

thread pitch gauge

paypal/ online banking

google earth

google maps

altimeter

Controls stereo system

Cheers

ken

Thanks Ken for the long list of features, it's much better than the TV commercials of people watching TV on a small little screen, based on those I have been shocked on how anyone could have been tricked into purchasing a cell phone. I'm glad to find out there is more to it than the commercials reveal.

I either do most of what your cell phone does with other devices or not at all. I'm on the internet way too much I would not want any device that would increase that time. I'm finally down to one to three hours per day. I would like it to be even less, not more. There was a time I wasted too much time online, nevermore. I don't like talking on the phone and only give a very select few my landline phone number, if I must give personal information I give my email address.

I don't do Facebook or other social media. In fact, I'm down to just my email, computer audiophile and sa-cd.net. I do wear a watch when I leave the house though.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa