IGNORED

New Nordost Heindall 2 USB

wdw

Of course I was making a relative assessment. When compared to the Wireworld Platinum Starlight and the Heimdall, the Blue Heaven shrinks the soundstage. It's not subtle. But those other cables are much more expensive. For the money, the BH is a fine cable. Glad to hear you are pleased with it.

I believe it is very important to note here that higher levels of certain types of jitter can make the soundstage bigger: this would be considered an unnatural, and not accurate, effect. I am not saying that this is what is happening here, just that one must be careful when evaluating changes which are going to effect jitter spectral distribution. It is somewhat easy to be fooled into thinking a less accurate representation of the music is actually better without measurements, especially when considering jitter levels. I have participated in listening tests which compared various levels of (measured) jitter, sometimes higher jitter levels will produce euphonic effects which at first appear to be advances in performance.

Be very, very careful when using listening tests to evaluate USB cables whose main differences (very likely only difference) is the level of jitter they produce at the DAC chip. Long term, very close listening, to very familiar music is required to get an accurate read on a USB cable. Quick A-B analysis will easily fool one when listening for these changes...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I believe it is very important to note here that higher levels of certain types of jitter can make the soundstage bigger: this would be considered an unnatural, and not accurate, effect. I am not saying that this is what is happening here, just that one must be careful when evaluating changes which are going to effect jitter spectral distribution. It is somewhat easy to be fooled into thinking a less accurate representation of the music is actually better without measurements, especially when considering jitter levels. I have participated in listening tests which compared various levels of (measured) jitter, sometimes higher jitter levels will produce euphonic effects which at first appear to be advances in performance.

Be very, very careful when using listening tests to evaluate USB cables whose main differences (very likely only difference) is the level of jitter they produce at the DAC chip. Long term, very close listening, to very familiar music is required to get an accurate read on a USB cable. Quick A-B analysis will easily fool one when listening for these changes...

+1

The Heimdall 2 USB is sounding better and better, btw!

I believe it is very important to note here that higher levels of certain types of jitter can make the soundstage bigger: this would be considered an unnatural, and not accurate, effect. I am not saying that this is what is happening here, just that one must be careful when evaluating changes which are going to effect jitter spectral distribution.

Interesting. I can't say I recall ever hearing an instance when an expanded soundstage wasn't accompanied by a bunch of other good things when evaluating USB cables. So I'm not sure I've run across what you've described.

Also, what I was describing was more of the case of a soundstage collapsing in the case of the Blue Heaven. The three other USB cables I've had on hand recently (WWPS, Heimdall, Lightspeed) were all in the same ballpark soundstage-wise. The BH noticeably shrunk depth and width relative to these cables (and relative to my analog source). I think it's highly unlikely that jitter increased with the three better USB cables, as just about every other area of musical reproduction improved with these relative to the BH.

Long term, very close listening, to very familiar music is required to get an accurate read on a USB cable. Quick A-B analysis will easily fool one when listening for these changes...

I agree that a "quick" A-B might fool someone - particularly an inexperience listener. And I also agree that longer-term listening should be involved. But proper A-B testing can help tease out differences that might not be noticed with casual listening.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thank you. I'd been wanting to record a jazz quartet this way for a long time. I did a few years ago with another band but wasn't happy with the performances. These guys just came in and nailed it.

Absolutely stunning recording. I don't think it can much better than this sound-wise. And performance-wise, yes these guys nailed it. I see this as being one of my go-to albums now for assessing audio gear.

I'm glad my friend allowed me to hang on to the Heimdall for another week, as the constant flow of a signal through it seems to have helped. The Heimdall came out slightly ahead of the WWPS in comparisons tonight using Barry's recording. It was easiest to hear this in the saxophone, which impressed me as sounding clearer and more coherent through the Heimdall.

After writing the sentence above, I just had to jump back to that Jane Monheit track and do a few A-B comparisons. Wow, the Heimdall sure did improve after a week. It sounds like a better cable was substituted for it. It no longer sounds as though the Heimdall is filtering out music compared to the WWPS. The Heimdall now sounds like the better cable.

Hopefully my other friend can also bring by his Lightspeed this week. He couldn't make it last week as he wasn't feeling well. Probably a good thing we didn't get to do that comparison, as the Heiimdall was clearly not far enough along. Nordost's cables are known for taking a ridiculously long time to burn in, so maybe there's yet some more improvement yet to come. I will be hanging onto the Heimdall until Saturday and will continue to put a signal through it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thank you Ken. Much appreciated. I had a great deal of fun during those sessions, finding it very hard to sit still - those rhythms just get inside you!

Definitely takes time for the cables to fully burn-in. The Heimdall just sounds a lot more "relaxed" to me, not as in "laid back" but in terms of not filling in the spaces between sounds with what I can only call a certain "graininess". The impression is that everything is just better focused. (Now I'm really curious to hear what it will do when moved from its current position between the hard drive housing the music library and the computer to a position between my computer and DAC.) I still don't know the "why" of what I'm hearing but ultimately, that concerns me a whole lot less than the "what". And I'm liking the "what". ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

The Heimdall just sounds a lot more "relaxed" to me, not as in "laid back" but in terms of not filling in the spaces between sounds with what I can only call a certain "graininess". The impression is that everything is just better focused.

This describes what I heard as well. During that first week, the Heimdall's "graininess" stood out relative to the WWPS. A week later, there's far less of it.

The Lightspeed was completely free of this relative to the WWPS. It made the WWPS and BH sound veiled in comparison. The Heimdall is moving in the Lightspeed's direction. I'm wondering how much further it will go when fully burned in.

There was a transparency with the Lightspeed that was quite stunning. I can't quite justify its price though given the DAC that I'm now using (Mytek) as that grand would be better spent if applied towards a better DAC. The Lightspeed didn't remain with me very long as I made my friend take it back. I didn't want to get too used to it for fearing that I might miss it too much.

The real test for the Heimdall will come when I finally return it to its owner. I wonder if I'll miss it.

A friend dropped by Saturday for some USB cable comparisons. He brought over his Lightspeed USB.

We were in agreement on the relative differences between these cables, and ranked them on the following scale from 1-10, with 10 representing the best of the bunch. The goal here is just to provide an idea of how great the relative differences are between these cables.

Blue Heaven (BH): 1

Wireworld Platinum Starlight (WWPS): 4-5

Heimdall 2 (H2): 6-7

Lightspeed (LS): 10

(Disclaimer: The BH wasn't involved this time. The value ascribed to it was based on the relative difference we heard when we compared it to the WWPS about a month and a half ago. We came up with this number as we figured that the difference between the WWPS and H2 was about half as large as the difference we recalled hearing between the WWPS and the BH).

One track we used for the comparisons was from Diana Krall's "Love Scenes". The acoustic bass made very apparent the differences WWPS and H2. The bass sounded more palpably real with the H2. The strings, fretboard and bass body all made appropriate contributions to make the bass sound realistic. The WWPS dialed back the contributions of the body and fret board leaving one hearing mostly strings. The WWPS also dulled the transient attack of those strings being plucked. The end result was the bass sounded less like it was in the same room. The bass sounded very similar in both the H2 and the LS. The LS was shown to be superior in how it sorted out everything else and allowed more low level details to pass. This was particularly notable in the piano.

The LS was amazing with classical. We compared this to the H2 using the rip of an Esoteric SACD of Curzon's Mozart Piano Concerto No.20. I had my eyes closed by nearly jumped out of my chair when the piano playing finally started. I was a little startled to hear how much more of the piano was being conveyed - particularly the instrument's body. The strings were also more natural sounding with the LS.

If I could afford an LS, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. In the interim, I might make an incremental move and swap my WWPS for the H2. The H2 was a loaner and it was shipped out on Saturday.

The one thing I appreciated most about the H2 over the last week was how much more enjoyable it made my not-so-great sounding CD rips sound. It stripped away some harshness that was likely being added by the WWPS.

The H2 is a great value, I think. One just has to keep in mind that it really needs 1-2 good two weeks of burn-in before it starts to really impress.

In full disclosure, we are an authorized Nordost dealer located in Atlanta, Georgia who has been using the Blue Heaven USB cable with much success. I will definitely report back with our assessment between the sonics of the Blue Heaven and Heimdall 2 USB cables. We just placed our order today.

The Blue Heaven USB cable has been our go to cable for the connection between our Auralic VEGA and new Aurender X100S. The sound has been outstanding, so I am like many intrigued to see how the sound differs. It is my speculation that the Heimdall 2 benefits greatly from the twisted double helix and the mechanically tuned lengths that the Blue Heaven doesn't enjoy.

With respect to the question about a microUSB connection, Nordost doesn't offer one because the size of the connection is to small for the size of the wire.

An update…

I had a difficult time returning to the WWPS after having spent those two weeks with the Heimdall. As I mentioned above, the Heimdall stripped away some harshness that was likely being added by the WWPS. The return of that harshness made enjoying the music somewhat difficult. This made it necessary for me to make a change.

I nearly purchased a Heimdall but ended up with a Lightspeed (LS) instead. With less than an hour of burn-in, it was apparent to me that the LS is a pretty amazing cable. In my humble opinion, the LS is absolutely worth the price. I'm hearing improvements from it that I'd normally associate with upgrading a component. Yes I know that's hard to believe - I can't quite believe it either. This has been a shock. The LS has made apparent to me that even well-regarded audiophile USB cables (such as the Heimdall and the WWPS) are doing much harm the music. YMMV

I should add that I am using the split end version of the LS. This has two USB connectors at the computer end; one for signal and one for power. I am able leave the power leg disconnected during playback. This only needs to be connected when the DAC is powered up so that the proper handshaking can be done.

This bears out what others have found especially concerning the Lightspeed. I was interested in your findings as I am about to upgrade my USB cable and was looking at the Nordost Blue Heaven and then the Heimdall.

The Lightspeed by all accounts has no competitor at the price and is another level or 3 better than the rest. Its interesting when gauging pricing for a product how its easy to dismiss something until you hear it in your system.

A $1000 for a cable in Hi-Fi is certainly not unusual, I have paid thousands, but even in the context of a "USB" cable how could this possibly be worth this much because the engineers say it shouldn't make a difference. In terms of cables I still think we have not cracked it but we have got closer.

I'm saving for a Lightspeed.

The Lightspeed is amazing.

I have one USB left to try and that is the TotalDac.

As one of the first adopters when first came out of the LH I can say that after a week living with it there was NO going back to anything else. Not a "subtle" difference either.

Yes it's expensive BUT one of those expensive things where you are getting proportionately more performance per extra dollar spent than just about any component I have ever owned.

Buyer beware. Don't judge it for at least a week. I almost made that fatal mistake.

The Lightspeed by all accounts has no competitor at the price and is another level or 3 better than the rest. Its interesting when gauging pricing for a product how its easy to dismiss something until you hear it in your system.

Yeah, it certainly is in a different league than those other USB cables I mentioned. I could not believe what I was hearing from my system last night. I heard some things from digital last night that I don't even hear from my far more expensive analog front end.

I'm saving for a Lightspeed.

The Heimdall is worth the price, I think. But if one has the means to stretch for a Lightspeed, then this is absolutely the right move.

It will be interesting to see what Nordost's will do next in terms of USB cables. A Valhalla USB cable might give the Lightspeed some tough competition.

As one of the first adopters when first came out of the LH I can say that after a week living with it there was NO going back to anything else. Not a "subtle" difference either.

Nope, not subtle at all. The improvement going from WWPS->LS may be on par with some component upgrades I've done in the past.

My 1m WWPS retails for $600 - so only a $400 difference between it and the 0.8m LS. I think it could be argued that the LS is actually bargain at its current price.

Buyer beware. Don't judge it for at least a week. I almost made that fatal mistake.

Wow, it's going to get even better? Mine had only been burning in for a couple of days when I sat down to listen last night.

How long before you felt yours was fully burned in?

The Lightspeed is amazing.

I have one USB left to try and that is the TotalDac.

Yes it's expensive BUT one of those expensive things where you are getting proportionately more performance per extra dollar spent than just about any component I have ever owned.

Gents, the Lightspeed must truly be quite amazing...not sure I would tempt fate and give it a listen...but am enjoying the Heimdall 2 which is a revelation when compared to my earlier Blue Heaven.

Priaptor, this is OT but would you give us a few words on your Valhalla 2's....they must be amazing.

Regards,

Warren

Nope, not subtle at all. The improvement going from WWPS->LS may be on par with some component upgrades I've done in the past.

My 1m WWPS retails for $600 - so only a $400 difference between it and the 0.8m LS. I think it could be argued that the LS is actually bargain at its current price.

Wow, it's going to get even better? Mine had only been burning in for a couple of days when I sat down to listen last night.

Kenny,

Is that the length you used? Also, what length of WWPS did you use in comparison?

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

Kenny,

Is that the length you used? Also, what length of WWPS did you use in comparison?

Yes, my LS is 0.8m and it's the split end version. My WWPS is 1m. The Blue Heaven USB that I tried was 1m, and the Heimdall was 2m.

Yes, my LS is 0.8m and it's the split end version. My WWPS is 1m. The Blue Heaven USB that I tried was 1m, and the Heimdall was 2m.

I've been building up my vinyl system lately, but now I've got something else on the digital end to consider in the Lightspeed. So thanks... I guess. :-)

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

but am enjoying the Heimdall 2 which is a revelation when compared to my earlier Blue Heaven.

I would have swapped my WWPS for the Heimdall if the LS didn't exist. This is a fine choice - particularly given your use of other Nordost products.

OT: I just noticed in your profile that you have a QB8. If you haven't done so already, you should experiment with placing Sort Kones, Stillpoints or another equivalent product under it. This may surprise you. I am now using a trio of the now-discontinued Stillpoints cones under mine, but plan to go with something better at some point.

I've been building up my vinyl system lately, but now I've got something else on the digital end to consider in the Lightspeed. So thanks... I guess. :-)

Last night was the very first time I felt it actually possible that digital could surpass analog in my system. I just need to move to a better DAC, which is something I'm planning to do next year.

Of course what will more likely happen is that I throw more money at analog to put it back on top. :-)

I would have swapped my WWPS for the Heimdall if the LS didn't exist. This is a fine choice - particularly given your use of other Nordost products.

OT: I just noticed in your profile that you have a QB8. If you haven't done so already, you should experiment with placing Sort Kones, Stillpoints or another equivalent product under it. This may surprise you. I am now using a trio of the now-discontinued Stillpoints cones under mine, but plan to go with something better at some point.

Hello Kenny,

Currently have them under my DAC, Mac Mini and Alpha USB...I'm told by others, as you also suggest, that a trio of BC's under the QB8 is a significant upgrade....planning these and the QV2 and Qk1 is the near future. What would you replace your Stillpoints with?

Cheers, Warren

Most of the break in takes at least a week. Increments thereafter but a week of playing

I'm told by others, as you also suggest, that a trio of BC's under the QB8 is a significant upgrade....planning these and the QV2 and Qk1 is the near future. What would you replace your Stillpoints with?

I have heard what four Ultra SS can do under the QB8 - not subtle, but not cheap either. I'd like to hear what four Ultra Mini might do. I'm also interested in hearing what the Sort Kones can do under the QB8. A friend is a Nordost dealer, and he recently received a few different kinds of Sort Kones. He will bring them over eventually.

I thought the Ultra SS made a far greater improvement under the QB8 than the pair of QV2s that I added (one in the QB8 and one in the wall outlet). But I also have a QX4, so it may very well be that the QV2s aren't able to contribute as much.

My friend/Nordost dealer tried various combinations with a pair of QV2s and a pair of QK1s. The thought the best was when the pair of QK1s went into his QB8 and the pair of QV2s went into the wall outlets. He said this made a significant improvement. He also said that the Nordost rep told him the QK1s will have a similar effect to placing Kones under the QB8, as the QK1 contains a resonating coil.

(If you haven't done so already, replace stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes - this will deliver a far bigger bang for the buck than the QV2. Just replacing the stock fuse in my Spectral preamp delivered a bigger upgrade than a QV2. And so did replacing my wall outlet - so look to these things first.)

Gents, the Lightspeed must truly be quite amazing...not sure I would tempt fate and give it a listen...but am enjoying the Heimdall 2 which is a revelation when compared to my earlier Blue Heaven.

Priaptor, this is OT but would you give us a few words on your Valhalla 2's....they must be amazing.

Regards,

Warren

Warren

The V2s are very unique. I wasn't quite ready for how good they were. I was lucky to get a demo before buying them and was very skeptical based on my experience with the V1. This a whole different animal from the V1

One bit of caution. The designer of my speaker (Nola) uses Nordost and Audio Research in building his speakers do as always trying it with your system is advised. I was remiss in listening to Carl from Nola before finally trying it. Serendipitously I was lucky to get to hear them before committing. One listen was all it took. Just to reiterate I did NOT like the Valhalla 1.

(If you haven't done so already, replace stock fuses with HiFi Tuning Supremes - this will deliver a far bigger bang for the buck than the QV2. Just replacing the stock fuse in my Spectral preamp delivered a bigger upgrade than a QV2. And so did replacing my wall outlet - so look to these things first.)

Do have a Hubbel type outlet...not anything audiophile but a good strong contact...are you suggest Furotech or similar? Regarding fuses...so pop the top of my electronic gear and replace fuses? I'm fairly adventurous but that sounds like it carries some risk. Not even sure where to look for them.

Cheers,WDW

Do have a Hubbel type outlet...not anything audiophile but a good strong contact...are you suggest Furotech or similar?

The first outlet I tried was sent by a friend who lives in Quebec. He got it locally from BIS Audio. It was a Hubbel, I believe, but the metal contacts were gold plated. So I think BIS may have modified it. HUGE upgrade. I think these cost around $40. They refer to this as the BIS Duplex.

I subsequently went to a Wattgate 381, which I purchased from BIS for around $150. This was an upgrade, but the step change wasn't as large as going from the original outlet to the BIS Duplex.

Scroll down to the bottom here for more info on the outlets they sell.

The BIS Duplex may be the most cost effective upgrade I have tried. Other friends tried them and all reported being just as impressed. I can think of no upgrade under $350 that will improve the sound as much as this $40 outlet (except for the Supreme fuses - more below). It's likely that other audiophile outlets at this price point will deliver equal benefits.

Some day I may try that highly-regarded Furutech outlet.

Regarding fuses...so pop the top of my electronic gear and replace fuses? I'm fairly adventurous but that sounds like it carries some risk. Not even sure where to look for them.

Cheers,WDW

All the fuses I replaced were accessible from the back of components. I skimmed the manual for your Berkeley and saw no mention of fuses. So maybe it doesn't have one.

Check the manual for your Levinson amp to see if it has a user-replaceable fuses (amps usually have a pair). If so, try the proper HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses.

These fuses belong in the same category as the audiophile outlets. Huge bang for the buck. The biggest improvement came from the preamp fuse, followed by the amp and then the sources.

What you will hear from the outlets and fuses is improved clarity. Veils will be stripped away. My amp also ended up sounding as if was more powerful. Bass was better controlled and it went deeper.