IGNORED

New Nordost Heindall 2 USB

wdw

So, If the Split if designed for a self powered DACs, why then they would have to shoot off the power leg after the handshake? i t is supposed to act with the the two ends connected, is not it?...

I'm confused to where to go...

I put less than 30 seconds of thought into deciding which way to go and it worked out spectacularly for me. I went with the split-leg version and it's working better than I could have ever imagined with my Mytek DAC.

I will be upgrading to either the Auralic Vega or Ayre QB9-DSD later this year. I am confident that I made the right choice to go with the split-leg cable.

I don't understand why someone would want to limit their flexibility by going with the non-split version (unless their computer doesn't have enough free USB ports). The split leg cable can function exactly like the non-split cable simply by connecting the power leg. But the non-split version doesn't give you a choice - you can't even experiment to see whether disconnecting the power leg can help. Seems like a no-brainer to me to go with the split-leg version.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

It was explained to me by the developer of one split leg cable that it's made for both legs to be plugged in, i.e., it doesn't work right if not. If that's true, then there's no way to make a valid comparison w/o the two versions.

As far as the Lightspeed goes, whether the power leg needs to be connected is DAC-dependant. And the best way to determine what will/won't work is to actually try both with and without the power leg connected. This can only be tried with the split leg version.

I'd prefer to rely on my experience over what manufacturers might say in this particular case, as split-leg cables are still a new thing. I'd bet that most DAC manufacturers don't yet have hands-on experience with these cables and may even be surprised to find that their DAC operates just fine without the power leg connected.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

kenny, Your assumption that comparing the split leg Lightspeed, both legs connected vs. one connected, is a valid test is a claim that needs to be proven. Especially since you don't want to rely on the manufacturer's advice or knowledge, the only way to establish the validity of your test is to have two cables, one dual legged, the other single.

kenny, Your assumption that comparing the split leg Lightspeed, both legs connected vs. one connected, is a valid test is a claim that needs to be proven. Especially since you don't want to rely on the manufacturer's advice or knowledge, the only way to establish the validity of your test is to have two cables, one dual legged, the other single.

Certainly it's a valid test to see what happens when to a DAC when the power leg is disconnected compared to when it's connected. I was responding to those who worried that their DAC wouldn't work or would sound worse without the power leg connected. It would take far less time to figure this out with the split leg cable in hand then through the agonizing over multiple mails to manufacturers and the multiple posts here.

The LS that I first heard in my system was a demo non-split version. As soon as I had the cash, I sprung for the split version without agonizing over the choice. It worked out spectacularly. Had my DAC not worked with the power leg disconnected, I would have just left it connected without sweating over it.

I apparently haven't been clear enough. What a developer of another split leg cable said is that his single leg and dual leg cables are different electrically. That is, using one leg of a two-legger and using a single legger is not the same, thus they will likely not turn out the same results sonically. That's why two cables may be needed for a valid comparison, depending on the construction.

I apparently haven't been clear enough. What a developer of another split leg cable said is that his single leg and dual leg cables are different electrically. That is, using one leg of a two-legger and using a single legger is not the same, thus they will likely not turn out the same results sonically. That's why two cables may be needed for a valid comparison, depending on the construction.

I agree in that particular case.

I was careful to call out the LS specifically in my posts. I was not commenting on other split-leg USB cables. That someone threw in the comment about another split-leg cable only muddied the water, I think.