IGNORED

Software to clean Wav INFO chunk, and/or XMP data?

razzzzz

Hi All,

First post here.

I have a collection of about 2000 wav files, and a few years back, I was using an app that had features to "tag" these wav files by either A) writing data in the INFO chunk and/or B) embedding XMP data. I'm not sure exactly how it was "tagging" these files, and I've since stopped using the software.

My goal is to strip these wav files down without compromising any of the audio integrity. Essentially, I'd like to end up with a clean header and the PCM data only. No other funky "tag" info in there.

Can any of you audiophiles out there recommend a tool I can use to achieve this? Ideally, I'd like to batch-process the lot.

Thanks in advance.

.R

Continued my online search and ran across a hobbyist who made a "wave cleaner" app. Unfortunately, it's not for mac. Here's the link: Audio Misc Software

His description: "This program differs from the others because it should be able to read WAV files that have extended metadata chunks in the header. It allows you to generate a ‘cleaned’ version with the same sound data payload but with the simple 44 byte standard WAV header. In effect it lets you produce a clean copy which the other WAV applications can then read and understand. I have found it works OK with a variety of types of LPCM WAV file that have added comments and metadata. For example it works with BWF files (Broadcast WAVE Files) and generates a clean copy. But it probably won't make sense of every type of LPCM WAV file as some of them have non-standard or fancy features I have not encountered."

This sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for.

• 6 months later...

If you build tools (a C compiler , I think XCode) on Mac, you can compile this program waveutils . Works perfectly in Linux, you should have no problems in Mac system.

To compile:

1. Unzip the file

2. Open a terminal in the new directory

3. Type:      ./configure
   then:      make              ( If it fails:      make -f OldMakefile   )
   then:      sudo make install

4. Ready, the program contains modules

SimplifyWave

RepairWave

InfoWave

To work on the same file, specify the same name for the output file.

For example

SimplifyWave audio.wav audio.wav

Obviously you can create scripts to batch process.

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

Sorry, the above was wrong, can not overwrite the file. So you must create another wav file corrected. For example

SimplifyWave audio.wav new_audio.wav

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Another option is a pipe with a lossless codec, also rewrites the wav file. It will not work if the wav file contains id3v2 tags (works properly with id3v1)

Perhaps the best option wavpack (shows the md5sum in the terminal) For example, you can create a script to "strip" the wav file with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
find *.wav
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
mkdir strip_wav
for file in *.wav
do
wavpack -f -m "$file" -o - | wvunpack - -w -m -o strip_wav/"$file"
done 
fi

So create a new folder "strip_wav" with wav files "stripped"

Sorry for my english.

Gregory Bateson