IGNORED

Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run" 24/44 on Acoustic Sounds

Believe it or not, I don't own this album. Giving it a try now…

Bruce Springsteen-Born To Run-FLAC 44kHz24bit Download | Acoustic Sounds

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

The first analysis is a CD I don't remember buying, so I don't know its release date. The second is from AS, downloaded today. Big difference.

foobar2000 1.3.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2014-03-14 09:31:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band / Born To Run

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR12 -0.58 dB -15.19 dB 4:51 01-Thunder Road

DR15 0.00 dB -16.43 dB 3:12 02-Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

DR12 -1.26 dB -14.47 dB 3:02 03-Night

DR11 -1.09 dB -14.77 dB 6:31 04-Backstreets

DR12 -0.48 dB -14.16 dB 4:30 05-Born to Run

DR12 -1.28 dB -15.43 dB 4:31 06-She's The One

DR11 -5.69 dB -21.78 dB 3:19 07-Meeting Across The River

DR12 -1.66 dB -16.63 dB 9:34 08-Jungleland

Number of tracks: 8

Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 850 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

foobar2000 1.3.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2014-03-14 09:30:48

Analyzed: Bruce Springsteen / Born To Run

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR7 -1.22 dB -11.08 dB 4:49 01-Thunder Road

DR8 -1.20 dB -10.61 dB 3:11 02-Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

DR8 -1.29 dB -10.36 dB 3:01 03-Night

DR7 -1.25 dB -10.06 dB 6:32 04-Backstreets

DR7 -1.20 dB -9.59 dB 4:30 05-Born to Run

DR7 -1.65 dB -11.01 dB 4:30 06-She's the One

DR9 -1.87 dB -15.87 dB 3:19 07-Meeting Across the River

DR7 -1.26 dB -12.10 dB 9:33 08-Jungleland

Number of tracks: 8

Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 1517 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

CAPS v3-inspired - Windows 7 64 - Micromega MyDAC - Jolida RC1000 - Aerial 5B - JL Audio Fathom 110

Hmm? So the hi-res download is a step down from the 16/44.1 CD??

"the 16/44 CD" listed above is a different mastering than the download. The album has been reissued on CD a couple of times.

According to Qobuz, the 24/44 download uses the mastering from the 30th anniversary edition released in 2005, which most people on the Steve Hoffman forum hated (I haven't heard it)

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Springsteen BTR 30 - official | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Claude

Funny that most people hate the 30th anniversary edition, I think it is the best sounding digital release of the album. (and yes I am aware this is a notoriously poor sounding record to begin with) I called Acoustic Sounds and they said that Sony didn't provide them with any mastering info for this release. As a result i am going to hold off for now.

I just went back and compared BTR 30th to the Gold Master Sound Edition from the late 90's and the original mid 80's CD and I find the 30th edition to be the most detailed and least hard sounding version. For example on the title track on BTR 30th you can clearly hear how Ernest "Boom" Carter's snare and stick work differs from that of Max Weinberg. There is also more detail and texture on the vocals, and string arrangements. I think the Gold Edition has a slightly smaller sound stage and has a slightly enhanced or tipped up treble.

For my money, the Columbia Half-Speed mastered LP or 30th Anniversary CD are the way to go. I do hope that the new remasters done by Bob Ludwig that were only released on iTunes show up on HDTracks / Acoustic Sounds / or heck even Pono sometime soon.

I've lived with this (my only) version for a little more than a week now. I have to say I like it very much. All measurements aside, it sounds very rich, smooth, and detailed to me. I am sure it is a bit compressed but the smoothness and detail overcomes that.

And this is a really engaging album. The first song pulls you in like few opening songs out there. What a great album.

Again, I stress I don't have a comparison so I am simply commenting on this without the access to other versions.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification