IGNORED

NAS suggestions?

In effort to eliminate using my laptop for music, I'm looking into the new Aries coming out here shortly (I don't have a DAC that does DSD YET, but that's another thread) and I need a few recommendations. It looks as if Synology is the NAS of choice around here, but what model? The Slim looks interesting, but I really have no clue.

As of now, I have close to a TB of music, but that's growing very fast with hirez files. At the rate I'm going since I've delved in this, I'll have at least three times as much by the end of the Summer I would guess. It would mainly be for music, some movies and personal cloud storage. I'm thinking 4-6TB would suffice for now.

Budget would be about $300 disc-less.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm at the beginning stages with my knowledge of these things.

Maybe Synology DS214? $300 and 4,5 stars reviews, one of Amazon's NAS best sellers.

(I don't have one)

Amazon.com: Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage (NAS) DS214: Computers & Accessories

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Be careful of the "j" models from Synology. They are low-end machines that may not have enough processing power if you want to do things like transcode FLAC to WAV on the fly (as I do with MinimServer). I first bought a DS112j and it worked fine until I wanted to use MinimServer's transcoding feature. I upgraded to a DS213 (not 213j) and have been very happy with it. I had never owned a NAS before and I like Synology's DSM (disk station manager) software -- it makes setting up RAID and such things pretty easy. I have been using WD Red drives in my DS213 and they have worked well. I don't know if the larger sizes are as reliable as the 2TB drives I have.

hi magister

strange what you experienced.

i use a 212j with minimserver. i set up minimserver to transcode on the fly all flac to wav24bits and mp3 to wav. It means even hd flacs at 24/192 are transcoded to wav.

CPU is 20% max, 15% average

RAM is around 30-40%.

According to me the 212j is the right product at the right price.

Transcoding audio files is rather simple even for those tiny proc.

If you need to transcode videos then ... a 212j may be too limited.

My 212j is dedicated to audio. If you want your nas to share data with you & your hifi + your wife on ipad + each of your 3 nice kids... the J model may be limited ;-)

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

hi magister

strange what you experienced.

i use a 212j with minimserver. i set up minimserver to transcode on the fly all flac to wav24bits and mp3 to wav. It means even hd flacs at 24/192 are transcoded to wav.

CPU is 20% max, 15% average

RAM is around 30-40%.

Interesting. I wonder if the 112j and 212j have the same CPU and RAM -- maybe the 212j is just a little more powerful since it was obviously designed for a RAID setup with two disks, which perhaps implies a slightly higher level of performance. I know the 112j was the bottom of the lineup at the time I bought it. Transcoding 16/44 was OK but I got dropouts with 176/24 or 192/24; can't remember about 24/96. Replacing the 112j with the 213 completely solved the problem.

As of now, I have close to a TB of music, but that's growing very fast with hirez files. At the rate I'm going since I've delved in this, I'll have at least three times as much by the end of the Summer I would guess. It would mainly be for music, some movies and personal cloud storage. I'm thinking 4-6TB would suffice for now

I started with a 2 bay NAS and outgrew it much more quickly than expected. You should stretch for a 4 bay NAS, even if only initially you install only a pair of drives in it.

I have a Synology DS413 that I absolutely love. It's been replaced with the DS414, which would be a great choice for you.

I agree with the caution against the "j" models. My first NAS was the 212j and I still use this as backup destination for the DS413. Copying files to this is painfully slow. If you can afford to stretch to the next level, your money would have been well spent.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hey thanks so much everybody.

I've been researching every free moment and my head is all over the place. I think that DS414 is way out of my budget and maybe too much NAS for me at the moment. Although I do appreciate the suggestion.

I'm thinking a happy medium would be DS214+. https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/overview/DS214+ The price is right, but it only has two drives. I can use the 4tb drives and that should last me until I complete other projects and increase my budget. Anyone with experience with that unit?

I would get the DS214+ and run it through gigabit ethernet cable with 2 4Tb drives for as long as possible. If space is not enough then I would sell it and buy a 4 bay NAS and 2 more HDDs.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

IMO, use cat6 shielded. While some may say no need for shielded here are two reasons. First I and they do not know your home so we can tell you where your cable will find EMI.

Secondly, and this is just me I feel better just knowing I have it installed. Can I tell the difference between. Honestly no I can't. But I dislike doing something twice. Plus the cost is not that much more and after all the money we spend on high-end audio/computer etc. I elected to run shielded.

just my .02 cents