IGNORED

New Led Zep remasters. Where's the Hi-Rez?

Are the previews in full hi-res, I know HDTrack's samples are often just sampled at 16/44 or 24/44 (not sure which, my DAC just shows 44.1).

Pretty sure the previews are just vanilla mp3s, however - that's not what I was looking for, rather I was mainly listening for them having an overly compressed dynamic range (i.e. loudness wars) and didn't hear it, and any overly ridiculous EQ fiddling (again didn't hear it)... so I'm tentatively optimistic about these, and will probably take the plunge on one album off HDTracks for a full detailed review.

I, on the other hand, these had come out as DR5, I'd have taken a pass.

Hi-rez is now on HDtracks. $29.98 for each of the deluxe editions in 24/96, plus 10% off with the code LEDZEP10. It is late at night now; will download in the morning.

I've got all 3 albums on my computer, deluxe editions, gotta say I'm impressed so far. Don't know what the DR values are, but A/B with my lossless CD rips is definately a significant improvement IMO.

Here's couple of my analysis plots.

You can also clearly see places where the ADC anti-alias digital filter could bring in some of it's character, especially because it seems to be ordinary type with limited attenuation. IOW, where signal hits the brickwall, check the places where 45 - 48k band has activity.

The album I seems to have the most HF content.

led_zeppelin-deluxe.jpg

led_zeppelin-deluxe-2.jpg

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've got all 3 albums on my computer, deluxe editions, gotta say I'm impressed so far. Don't know what the DR values are, but A/B with my lossless CD rips is definately a significant improvement IMO.

I only have listened to III so far, but the differences between the download and the SHM CD are pretty easy to spot. The mastering is a fair bit different for most of the tunes. More top end and less bass on the CD. It sounds smaller and less forward in general. The benefits of the added bits can easily be distinguished on Plant's vocals, separation, etc. I am pretty happy with the download. Nevertheless, I still sort of like the SHM CD too. The songs seems to hold together a little better, perhaps due to the less forward presentation. I never really liked the original CDs much, so there you go.

Quick question for those who already bought these. Are the deluxe downloads worth it? I can see it for the first record since you get a concert. The second and third albums only get you outtakes. Any thoughts? Is the HD version of the album itself the same for both?

I've got all 3 deluxe editions and in my opinion only the first album is worth the extra because it comes with a live concert from 1969. The sound quality isn't great, but it's still led zeppelin live in 1969 so you take what you can get. The other two are basically just out takes and demos, worth a listen but nothing you will spend much time with probably. The sound quality for the albums is still 24/96 for all versions. Hope that helps

Hi Guys - Here is my article on the new releases of I, II, and III.

Computer Audiophile - Objective And Subjective - The First Three Led Zeppelin Albums At 24 bit / 96 kHz

Thanks Chris. I was going to post my impressions but you said it in much more detail than I was going to do and I am in basic agreement. I downloaded them at work and I am finally home listening to them with a couple of beers as we speak. Before hand I was a bit dismayed by the mediocre DR values, but on initial listening they sound great! I haven't done any A-B comparison yet with earlier versions but they seem to be more detailed than the Diament versions and not as harsh as the Marino ones. Maybe I will be more critical later but right now I am having a lot of fun with these new versions.

Quick question for those who already bought these. Are the deluxe downloads worth it? I can see it for the first record since you get a concert. The second and third albums only get you outtakes. Any thoughts? Is the HD version of the album itself the same for both?

I am not normally much into demos and outtakes, but Led Zeppelin are one of my very favorite bands, if not my absolute favorite. So for me, yes, it is worth it. But it's a value judgement that you have to make for yourself.

Like all these types of "bonus" releases, it depends on how much of a fan you are. If you are more of a causal fan, I'd say save your money and buy the standard edition. If you think you will get some added value/insight from some not extremely important material (there's a reason it hasn't been released till now) or are a "completist", go for the deluxe.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Enjoying listening to the deluxe downloads. Can anyone give some pointers to information about the quality of the original analog tapes (I assume reel-to-reel?) used by bands back in the day? Were they good enough to justify higher-resolution digital masters? (Apologies if I'm opening a can of worms here.)

There is no new information on the original masters. Barry Diament did not use or sight them when he did the remasters in the 90's. Jimmy Page in a recent interview does say he has personal ownership(custodianship) of master tapes, with which he has used to produce these new remasters. BUT whether these are first or second gen is unknown. Recognising that Led Zepp did have complete control over there material which was unusual in those days and that Jimmy made sure he had mastertapes in his possession rather than leave them in the record company vault means these are possibly the best we will ever hear.

In saying that, these new remasters are definitely better, smoother, bigger sound stage, easier to listen to than my remastered 90's German pressed CD's.

Led Zepp I's live tracks are at 24/48 except for the first which is 24/44, studio album is 24/96. Led Zepp II and III are all 24/96. For an odd reason HD tracks shows Ramble on(Rough mix) at 24/44 whereas German Hires Audio has all at 24/96.

I'm happy with 24/96, really we aren't going to get any more high frequency info, its about as good as it gets at this point in time with technology. Miska's graph shows HF up to about 48k from Led Zepp I, which is impressive as it was the poorest sounding although my favourite. Can't wait for the rest to be released.

I'm happy with 24/96, really we aren't going to get any more high frequency info, its about as good as it gets at this point in time with technology. Miska's graph shows HF up to about 48k from Led Zepp I, which is impressive as it was the poorest sounding although my favourite. Can't wait for the rest to be released.

And just for the record, I purchased all three deluxe versions from highresaudio.com

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to the October 28th release of LZ IV and HH...

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

• 1 month later...
August 28, 2014

Led Zeppelin's remastered fourth album will include additional companion audio of unreleased versions of every song on the studio album. Details on all formats are here: www.ledzeppelin.com.

"LED ZEPPELIN IV (Deluxe Edition)" Trailer

[video=youtube_share;UandfyNZxb4]

7 1/2 weeks to go...

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification