Can anyone please make a comparison between both amps?

Is there a noticeable difference in the sound?

I have read somewhere that NAD people compared the D7050 to the M2 and stated that the sound quality was above (better) then the C390DD.

I own a NAD C390DD and I like it very much. There is one thing that I really miss. A headphone connection. Why? When I want to hear it loud I want to play it over the headphones. Nor the NAD nor my DVD player has a headphone connection. So the music DVD's can't be listened to this way. I can connect a headphone direct to my Apple Mac Mini to listen to my iTunes files. But this is al indirect and it requires 'programming' the computer using VNC. This is a procedure that my wife does not understand.

Then the NAD D7050 has a headphone connection on the front. This would be most welcome and this makes this amp 'almost exactly perfect' for my needs.

I do not need the extension / upgrade possibilities of the C390DD. I also don't need the full 150 Watts. 50 would be fine for my speakers in this small room.

Now I wonder why the D7050 would much cheaper and be of much better sound quality.

(Please check my sound system in my profile if you have some questions about that. All connections are specified in the design scheme.)

"Now I wonder why the D7050 would much cheaper and be of much better sound quality. "

I don't know anything about the relative sound quality of the two, but I would be surprised if the C390DD was inferior to the D7050. The difference in price presumably reflects the increased power, and all of the various features.

It might be very disheartened to the hard core audiophiles that nowadays a fairly cheap devices that cost just 1/10 or even 1/30 of their systems can reproduce a very comparable and nice sound.

But isn't it the nature of progress and evolution in technology? Also, more features and power might cost more, but they are of no value if you do not need them. I think it is quite possible that a device that cost just 1/3 of the price can sound the same and even better to somebody.

Personally for direct headphone listening I adore my O2/ODAC combo, tried many things that cost way more, without much success. It is different, but I enjoy it just as much as a very good sound out of my NAD receiver headphone port. I can listen to either one for hours.

"Now I wonder why the D7050 would much cheaper and be of much better sound quality. "

I don't know anything about the relative sound quality of the two, but I would be surprised if the C390DD was inferior to the D7050. The difference in price presumably reflects the increased power, and all of the various features.

lost in that music library

. . . Then the NAD D7050 has a headphone connection on the front. This would be most welcome and this makes this amp 'almost exactly perfect' for my needs. . . .

I bought D7050 for some of the same reasons, hoping to use it for both speakers and headphones. But it will depend on what kind of headphones you are using. Unfortunately D7050 is not able to drive my AKG-Q710 phones, so I have to continue using separate headphone DAC for that. The thing is that I would have never ever suspected that D7050 would not be able to drive my AKGs -- something that a DAC costing fraction of the price can do. I even looked for some kind of hidden gain setting or such, but no luck. I am sure less hungry headphones will work with D7050 fine.

Overall I think this is a great-sounding unit and offers lots of flexibility. DLNA and AirPlay are both supported if you need wireless, Ethernet and USB-in are also there.

Each connection has some kind of limitation, so the input variety D7050 offers is really handy. (AirPlay may not support certain files or resolution that USB would, etc.) My audio collection has some MP3-300 and AAC, but many FLAC. The USB-In on D7050 was the only connection that supported everything I tried so far, so that is what I am currently using.

I don't run it directly from the PC but rather from Synology NAS where my audio files are. My NAS supports audio out via USB, so the connection is Synology USB-Out -> NAD D7050 USB-In -> Audio out to KEF speakers. Nice part is that the PC is not needed to control the playback because Synology has a free DS Audio app for iOS and Android. So I am controlling the playback completely from iPad. This may be significant benefit for someone who's significant other may find PC audio challenging.

I've owned a number of NAD products over the years and have been quite satisfied. About two months ago I was in the market for a new piece and auditioned the D7050. I have to admit I was enamored with the form, function and feature set. I am not great at describing sound but I thought it sounded thin, too digital if that makes any sense. In the end another issue arose and I returned the 7050D and opted for another product.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

For me this is my first NAD product, so can't compare it with other models. But we did try it also with friend's speakers that are much better than mine, and surprisingly the sound was better with my speakers. I think the sound you end up hearing really depends on how well your speakers pair with it. I am sure there are other factors too, but I don't think my hearing is good enough to distinguish that. But the difference when using different speakers was immediately obvious.

I've owned a number of NAD products over the years and have been quite satisfied. About two months ago I was in the market for a new piece and auditioned the D7050. I have to admit I was enamored with the form, function and feature set. I am not great at describing sound but I thought it sounded thin, too digital if that makes any sense. In the end another issue arose and I returned the 7050D and opted for another product.
For me this is my first NAD product, so can't compare it with other models. But we did try it also with friend's speakers that are much better than mine, and surprisingly the sound was better with my speakers. I think the sound you end up hearing really depends on how well your speakers pair with it. I am sure there are other factors too, but I don't think my hearing is good enough to distinguish that. But the difference when using different speakers was immediately obvious.

I would not lay what I heard on the speakers. That piece was the only variable in the quality of the sound.

I should also say though that the reason I took the unit back though could have been a contributing factor.

Frank Zappa
Not private I just didn't say. The unit continually went into a overheat mode

That is too bad. I didn't notice overheating problem yet, but that reminds me of another small minus for D7050: it doesn't have a real "OFF" button as far as I can tell. At least what looks like OFF button puts the unit into sleep mode but as far as I know if doesn't turn it off completely. When I know that I'll be away I actually unplug the electric cord. It is possible that I just didn't find the proper way to do this yet (I hope).

That is too bad. I didn't notice overheating problem yet, but that reminds me of another small minus for D7050: it doesn't have a real "OFF" button as far as I can tell. At least what looks like OFF button puts the unit into sleep mode but as far as I know if doesn't turn it off completely. When I know that I'll be away I actually unplug the electric cord. It is possible that I just didn't find the proper way to do this yet (I hope).

It does not in fact. When it went into overheat mode that Standby Power button turned red and the display on the unit literally read Overheat Mode or Overheating I can't remember exactly which. The Standby Power button nor the remote would not turn the unit off. I had to unplug the unit to reset it. It did it three times, twice after twenty minutes of play and once after one hour. This occurred consecutively. I checked every connection carefully (basically USB, optically, speakers and power) and they were all good. I am sure this was an anomaly with this unit but right out of the box that pretty much sealed its fate for me.

Frank Zappa

I don't blame you -- I would probably do the same. But I am surprised that they didn't include real 'off' button. Is this the same for other NAD products or just this one?

I am getting a really great sound from this in my setup, and would not hesitate recommending it. But I think we will see lots of competition in this space this year.

I don't blame you -- I would probably do the same. But I am surprised that they didn't include real 'off' button. Is this the same for other NAD products or just this one?

I am getting a really great sound from this in my setup, and would not hesitate recommending it. But I think we will see lots of competition in this space this year.

I know for this series of products it is like this. There is another smaller integrated/DAC (3020?) and a DAC (1060?) with similar power. I think their traditional integrated amps, receivers and amps have traditional power switches.

Frank Zappa

i have a D7050, have posted my impressions in other threads, but briefly, I'm very happy, sounds great, no problem driving a variety of different speakers, incredible flexibility.

i have not used the headphone output extensively, but it had no problem driving a pair of B&W P5s.

recommended.

i have a D7050, have posted my impressions in other threads, but briefly, I'm very happy, sounds great, no problem driving a variety of different speakers, incredible flexibility.

i have not used the headphone output extensively, but it had no problem driving a pair of B&W P5s.

recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

Can t compare but bought a D7050 unit, never worked, turns itself of after 2 minutes. NAD warranty is not covering as I moved to another country. NAD has absolutly arrogant and unhelpfull "customer service staff" telling me not to use a screw driver as otherwise the guarantee is void !! No help from local NAD dealer, they first want to see money before they are even willing to look at the unit. Spend more than 700 € with shipping for a piece of crap! NAD -never again, stay away, company policy leaves you with nothing but scrap metal !! They state: Quote -primarily the warranty is based on the fact that with electrical goods there are individual local safety requirements, regulations, conditions and trade practices that need to be met. -unquote. In my case the unit is not working at all, it has nothing to do with local safety requierements etc. But NAD is telling me tough cookies, send the unit back to where you bought it --to my expense as the local dealer isn t interested at all in carring for a customer. Crap ! The finish quality is bad as well: The two knobs (Volume, Select) are made of plastic, wobbeling around on their achsels and the side finish of the unit is made of a rubberish substance which leaves your finger prints on it when touched. All in all : First and last NAD piece I bought.

Can t compare but bought a D7050 unit, never worked, turns itself of after 2 minutes.

by "turns itself off after 2m" do you mean while music is playing? fyi, the unit senses a signal, and if there is none, it will turn itself off. also, the display also turns off after a few minutes, including while music is playing.

i rarely touch mine, preferring to use the iPhone app (think there's an android version as well), which works admirably, although not the slickest UI i've encountered.

by "turns itself off after 2m" do you mean while music is playing? fyi, the unit senses a signal, and if there is none, it will turn itself off. also, the display also turns off after a few minutes, including while music is playing.

i rarely touch mine, preferring to use the iPhone app (think there's an android version as well), which works admirably, although not the slickest UI i've encountered.

Hi =- thanks for the reply -- the unit goes into standby mode automatically, while there is still input from the main source (i.e. DVD player or TV set). It s npot the dispaly turning off it s the whole unit; can t even "reactivate" the unit (switch it on) through the Apple i phone app. Have upgraded to the latest software version as when I started to use the unit for the first time (by unsing the apple app) the app repleid with a message saying that I need to upgrade the unit to the latest software version as otherwise the app cannot be used.

Lost ...

Can I ask you to clarify a few things?

First; have you purchased the NAD then moved from one country to another; or have you purchased in one country with the intent of using it elsewhere?

May I secondly ask who you have asked for help? For example have you contacted the distributor in the country you purchased the unit; the local distributor or NAD the manufacturer?

NADs warranty terms are available https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/202305048-Warranty-FAQ -- I'm just trying to get a clear picture so we can assess NAD against the facts rather than the "rant" you posted initially.

With respect if you have moved country the "send it back to where you purchased it" is a quite standard response in my experience.

Eloise

Can t compare but bought a D7050 unit, never worked, turns itself of after 2 minutes. NAD warranty is not covering as I moved to another country. NAD has absolutly arrogant and unhelpfull "customer service staff" telling me not to use a screw driver as otherwise the guarantee is void !! No help from local NAD dealer, they first want to see money before they are even willing to look at the unit. Spend more than 700 € with shipping for a piece of crap! NAD -never again, stay away, company policy leaves you with nothing but scrap metal !! They state: Quote -primarily the warranty is based on the fact that with electrical goods there are individual local safety requirements, regulations, conditions and trade practices that need to be met. -unquote. In my case the unit is not working at all, it has nothing to do with local safety requierements etc. But NAD is telling me tough cookies, send the unit back to where you bought it --to my expense as the local dealer isn t interested at all in carring for a customer. Crap ! The finish quality is bad as well: The two knobs (Volume, Select) are made of plastic, wobbeling around on their achsels and the side finish of the unit is made of a rubberish substance which leaves your finger prints on it when touched. All in all : First and last NAD piece I bought.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi =- thanks for the reply -- the unit goes into standby mode automatically, while there is still input from the main source (i.e. DVD player or TV set). It s npot the dispaly turning off it s the whole unit; can t even "reactivate" the unit (switch it on) through the Apple i phone app. Have upgraded to the latest software version as when I started to use the unit for the first time (by unsing the apple app) the app repleid with a message saying that I need to upgrade the unit to the latest software version as otherwise the app cannot be used.

Lost ...

is it possible your DVD and TV set are outputting Dolby Digital or another surround codec, rather than stereo?

• 3 months later...
How loud where you playing the music? What was your dB (volume level on the D7050)?

I do not play my music loud at all anymore. I live in an apartment now and typically play my music between 65db-70db and never above 75db.

Frank Zappa
Which input is better for sound quality- USB or Optical? It looks like optical should be better according to the spec sheet...

I have the little brother D3020. The USB input does not sound so good. However the Optical input sounds very good. The Bluetooh also works surprisingly well as does the line in

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]