IGNORED

PC/MAC/Linux to replace my system

Richard,

You are correct. I will do the setup first then cloning second. I have viewed several how to videos and have removed the back cover of the mini. Very tight fit in there. I am trusting my PC skills to complete this. In my past I must have built at least two dozen computers and yes, I did make mistakes.

I'll keep you posted. BTW, I still use my old Sony TA-N77ES amp. :). She powers the outside speakers

The mac mini arrived today! Very fast shipping. Have not had a chance today to even turn it on. So I do not make haste decisions the setup will be a little slower than usual. Plus I have not used a mac os since the 1980.

I will share Nat King Cole will be there when the mini goes live :)

Do have one question, should I do a setup first then switch to SSD or can I just clone the software and then fire up the mini?

If everything goes south, not a big problem. Provided the HDD is mounted OK and no other broken bits, you download a copy of LION at boot time by pressing CMD + R (even on an Apple wireless keyboard) until you see the process starting to download. All you need is Ethernet cable plugged into your network, nothing else to configure. Once you have Lion installed, Mavericks can be downloaded from the App store.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Richard,

You are correct. I will do the setup first then cloning second. I have viewed several how to videos and have removed the back cover of the mini. Very tight fit in there. I am trusting my PC skills to complete this. In my past I must have built at least two dozen computers and yes, I did make mistakes.

I'll keep you posted. BTW, I still use my old Sony TA-N77ES amp. :). She powers the outside speakers

Hello VCoak,

In support of you, please remember that many of the connections are very small and easily breakable. One of the reason I purchased the tool kit from OWC is so that I could deal with those very tiny connectors and NOT break them. As I previously stated, at least for me, it's akin to open heart surgery. Just attempting to be supportive. I am sure with your experience you will detect what requires a gentle touch ;>}.

Good fortune. Let us know how it goes, if you care to.

Best,

Richard

He Everyone,

Did a simple setup and register. Ordered the SSD drive yesterday. I picked the Samsung EVO 250gb. I also picked the Crucial 16gb of memory.

From there I will probably started out with a Thunderbolt WD MyBook 4tb. In the future I will probably up grade to a full NAS. But in the meantime I will have a learning curve when the W4S DAC2-DSDse arrives.

I will be trying the following software on the Mac, JRivers, Pure Music & Audirvana.

For ripping I'm impressed by dbpoweramp. File format is undecided between FLAC & AIFF. Will need to compare and contrast i.e. listening.

Mark

Update; Received the SSD Samsung 250g and finished cloning and installed. Mini's are packed inside. Took me just under two hours. Small dinner break included. Fired right up. yea.

Next is the RAM and a thunderbold external HDD. Not sure if it will be NAS type by Promise or a simple WD/LaCie. More reading on them is needed.