IGNORED

The Pono Kickstarter Campaign Is Open

I have a feeling this PonoPlayer will become a ubiquitous status symbol on airplanes just like the Bose noise canceling headphones. Right, wrong, or in between it may just happen.

The silver limited editions or kickstarter black likely to draw attention. I remember the very early ipods proudly displayed on tray tables.

None taken... But I still wouldn't buy it!

Still looks like the ugly offspring if a meeting between a (new) Dalek and a Toblerone and neither colour will match my shoes either.

Eloise

Louboutin inspired red end caps?

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Louboutin inspired red end caps?

I kept my iPod Mini for a long time cause it was pink!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a feeling this PonoPlayer will become a ubiquitous status symbol on airplanes just like the Bose noise canceling headphones. Right, wrong, or in between it may just happen.

If we are making predictions, I would not expect nearly such a happy result. Consumer electronics has many more failures than Beats-size successes. More likely, this will be the next Zune. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

There's a Herbie Hancock signature edition. That about does it for jazz aficionados (unless you count Norah).

I'm all for a $400 portable player that does high-res reasonably well, but do we really have any reason to believe that PonoMusic.com will have a better selection and/or pricing and/or QC than does HDtracks or Qobuz? Right now, there's nothing definite to go on, as far as I can tell.

Still wish it was flatter, but I might get one. I was going to get a second iPod classic ….

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I notice that the Kickstarter page does not say much about the software. They are apparently going to have something that is like iTunes, but don't say what platforms or what company is developing it. Has the software been demoed?

A hint from

"Furthermore, we are working with a fantastic desktop media center vendor to build out the PonoMusic App for Mac and Windows PC. This media management application will act as the hub of your Pono ecosystem."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

A hint from

"Furthermore, we are working with a fantastic desktop media center vendor to build out the PonoMusic App for Mac and Windows PC. This media management application will act as the hub of your Pono ecosystem."

J.River?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Furthermore, we are working with a fantastic desktop media center vendor to build out the PonoMusic App for Mac and Windows PC. This media management application will act as the hub of your Pono ecosystem.

Thanks, I missed that. Good move by Pono to not try to build it from scratch.

J.River would be my guess too, since most of the others are not cross-platform.

Fair point, but what I also said applies to buying from a reputable manufacturer. I want to see, touch, feel, listen, demo, etc extremely expensive and subjective audio equipment before buying it. Maybe this isn't a big deal for a $50 DAC but when it comes to 10k DAC or 20k speakers, I'd rather not do an internet order. I'd personally rather have more dealers with more stock and more options. Even if the manufacturer allows you to return it, you won't get the benefit of a wide breath of choices.

The article did address the issue regarding more expensive items.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
J.River?

I am not sure there are any other cross-platform players..or "media centers" :D

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I apologize because someone has probably mentioned this already.

But I don't understand why anyone wants to give money to incredibly wealthy and connected people so that these incredibly wealthy people can start a company without risk (less risk?) and which will possibly make them even more money.

If Neil Young wants to start a new company, he can go to a bank and borrow money. If he wants my money, he can give me 1%, not a fancy iPod.

Just a thought.

But I don't understand why anyone wants to give money to incredibly wealthy and connected people so that these incredibly wealthy people can start a company without risk (less risk?) and which will possibly make them even more money.

If Neil Young wants to start a new company, he can go to a bank and borrow money. If he wants my money, he can give me 1%, not a fancy iPod.

Just a thought.

Kickstarter discourages using it as a store, but evidentially encourages money coming in the door to them. Quite a fuzzy line they have drawn. If I am going to slip on the negative Nancy dress, this one was going to be a home run from the start and raising capital happened awhile ago through VC, who are now exploiting Kickstarter...as a store, to make themselves even more money.

Just a thought.

Your comments are certainly valid and not unpopular with many. However, people aren't donating. For example I'm getting the signed Pearl Jam PonoPlayer for my money. In addition people want to purchase these items in this campaign.

Again, I hear what you're saying but let's not turn this discussion into a different topic. If you want to start a new thread about the issue you raised I full support you.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hope that Ayre will add DSD support to the final specs of the Pono player, as already suggested by the first kickstarter backers in the campaign's comments section.

PS It's nice to see a much lower price tag on the PCM downloads, I assume it's $17.98 for a 192kHz album download?

I think Kickstarter is a great idea for this kind of thing. In starting a business there are a lot of risks and concerns. Just reading this thread... well you see what I mean. Lot's of ways that the business plan might not work.

Via kickstarter, you require people to put down money, to indicate if they are interested. That way you really get a sense if there is market pull for this. If yes, then that vote of confidence substantiates the business plan and makes it feel safer for the people with big money to buy in. Something like that...

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Hope that Ayre will add DSD support to the final specs of the Pono player, as already suggested by the first kickstarter backers in the campaign's comments section.

PS It's nice to see a much lower price tag on the PCM downloads, I assume it's $17.98 for a 192kHz album download?

More likely $17.98 for 96KHz.

At first I thought, what's the point of another hi res portable digital player there are some out there already, but then found out Ayre is involved in the making of it. What got me seriously interested in this player is the minimal phase no pre-ringing filter. If that's the same filter they implement on the QB-9, which I owned for quite a while, I'm sold. Best filter I've heard that makes digital enjoyable to listen to. No smearing or audible aliasing like other filters. Awesome job!

...Not to mention the promotion of hi res music is super :)

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Had to buy the Patti Smith one....so lets hope the UK gets a look in although I am not optimistic on the music store front....

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I see the Kickstarter campaign as being a marketing strategy as much as anything else.

Yes. That is exactly what it is. And if we are lucky then the marketing is not actually for PonoMusic and PonoPlayer, but rather for the idea of going back to uncompressed music.

This thing is all over the newspapers all over the world. Something DVD-A, SACD, BR Audio, ... never achieved.

As some have been saying for years after NY launched this idea: a new concept,, format, store, ... whatever for music is stupid. So let's give NY some credit: it was not about that, but something else altogether. And that is not stupid.

Let's hope the harvest will be good, then.