IGNORED

Server optimization if using streamer?

I have followed the whole DSD thing with interest, but have not yet gone there.

As a long time PC front end guy, I currently use a dedicated netbook (Win 7 32 bit, 2GB RAM) running LMS, with a 2TB collection of FLAC, with a limited collection of 24/XX.

I use a hacked Pogoplug as the player (Vortexbox VAMP) Ethernet connected, with an HRT Music Streamer II DAC, controlled with iPeng. I figure this could be referred to a streamer in this config.

My question is - is there any reason to upgrade my server, given my implementation?

If so, what would likely lead the bang for the buck path to better sound?

Thanks,

My opinion only...

No; nothing you do with the server hardware will affect the sound quality of the streamer.

It is possible that setting the server software to convert to WAV prior to sending to the streamer may cause a difference but my opinion is nothing else matters.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a dedicated pentiumD (old) W8 pc running LMS, wired to an access point with a SB Touch also wired to the access point, SBT goes to a pre/dac (coax digi cable).

Going from XP to W8 made a surprising difference that I liked, running Fidelizer makes a nice difference, changing from a Hitachi (flac storage internal hdd) to a WD RE4 made a nice difference, cutting down services and disabling paging file also made rather surprising differences that I like.

Can't comment on a complete hardware change as never really tried...

I guess try a few software changes if you hear a difference it may be worth following up with a hardware change..?

Next on the list is a trial of dbpower amp to try wav in a flac wrapper, and attempt some diy hdd power supply filtering (thanks to sandyk for the cct diag.)

Plenty to play with and tweak in my opinion, ;-)