IGNORED

Haydn Cello Concertos - du Pre remaster from HDTracks

Hello,

Anyone has some comments about this release: Haydn & Boccherini: Cello Concertos (2011 - Remaster) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

It's du Pre 1967 recording remastered in 2011 from EMI archive. Any thought about it if I like to go for Haydn Cello Conctertos?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have an old Redbook of this and the performance is vintage du Pre. I can't comment on the new mastering, but I can recommend this one in the highest terms. It's a bit expensive at €14.99 but well worth it and the sound quality is unbeatable.

warnerhaydn-225x225.jpg

Also includes a very nice concerto by Joseph Myslivecek.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I have an old Redbook of this and the performance is vintage du Pre. I can't comment on the new mastering, but I can recommend this one in the highest terms. It's a bit expensive at €14.99 but well worth it and the sound quality is unbeatable.

warnerhaydn-225x225.jpg

I was thinking about it as well based on reviews. Haven't had a time to listen, but will do certainly. Thanks for a suggestion!

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It's a bit expensive at €14.99 but well worth it and the sound quality is unbeatable.

I was able to buy it directly from Cedille Records with Studio Master quality for 12USD. Good deal I think.

--

Krzysztof Maj

BTW, Wendy established a very nice duo with Irina Nuzova here is the webpage.

It looks very promising and their russian music interpretations for piano and cello seems getting very nice reviews.

--

Krzysztof Maj

I was already listening to the Haydn D major cello concerto with Wispelwey on Channel Classics when I saw this thread. One of those performances where the HIP style seems exactly right. Great recorded sound too.

The performance of the C major cello concerto on the same CD/SACD is a barnburner.

I was already listening to the Haydn D major cello concerto with Wispelwey on Channel Classics when I saw this thread. One of those performances where the HIP style seems exactly right. Great recorded sound too.

The performance of the C major cello concerto on the same CD/SACD is a barnburner.

What you mean by the "HIP style" here?

--

Krzysztof Maj

Hello,

Anyone has some comments about this release: Haydn & Boccherini: Cello Concertos (2011 - Remaster) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

It's du Pre 1967 recording remastered in 2011 from EMI archive. Any thought about it if I like to go for Haydn Cello Conctertos?

The Haydn is terrific in this album. The 24bit 96kHz remastering has been done very well, and the result is very good (at least to my ears). I am personally less keen on the Boccherini which I find a less inspired score than the Haydn.

The 24bit 96kHz remastering has been done very well, and the result is very good (at least to my ears).

They are controversial though, because of the amount of processing involved (analogue tape to 24/96 A/D conversion --> digital "cleaning" --> D/A conversion --> analogue EQ --> 24/96 A/D conversion). Some people prefer earlier CD masterings to the EMI 24/96 downloads or SACD reissues. One should not expect the same sound quality as on other hi-rez reissues of vintage material (Living Stereo, Mercury, etc)

Claude

They are controversial though, because of the amount of processing involved (analogue tape to 24/96 A/D conversion --> digital "cleaning" --> D/A conversion --> analogue EQ --> 24/96 A/D conversion). Some people prefer earlier CD masterings to the EMI 24/96 downloads or SACD reissues. One should not expect the same sound quality as on other hi-rez reissues of vintage material (Living Stereo, Mercury, etc)

Thanks for the information. I wonder why they chose to equalize in the analog domain, thereby generating two conversions that could have been avoided by doing the EQ in the digital domain. I fully agree that, though in my experience they range from fine to very good, these EMI (now Warner Classics) remasters are not on the same, elevated level of quality as the Mercury or RCA SACDs.

There is a video on Youtube in which engineer Simon Gibson explains the procedure. It was put into place for the Furtwängler releases, i.e. very old material which justifies more heavy-handed manipulation. They wanted to use a vintage EMI analogue equalizer after editing and cleaning the files.

But for newer material, this doesn't make much sense.

Claude

There is a video on Youtube in which engineer Simon Gibson explains the procedure. It was put into place for the Furtwängler releases, i.e. very old material which justifies more heavy-handed manipulation. They wanted to use a vintage EMI analogue equalizer after editing and cleaning the files.

But for newer material, this doesn't make much sense.

The whole process is quite amazing, but about sound quality after that…seems to be another story.

--

Krzysztof Maj