IGNORED

Vintage Speakers vs New

What kind of speaker do you prefer?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maggie MC's are meant to be hung on a wall, and generate bass to about 100hz by proximity. They are designed to do that of course... :)

-Paul

It's important to note that in the case of the MCs, the wall is seen by the speaker as a continuation of the baffle with a very small discontinuity so no boundary loading for just the 'woofer' but the entire panel evenly. A compromise, but an acceptable one. Personally, i used the MCs over a pair of DIY 15" subwoofers...........a most excellent combo!

More old Gentlemen who sound incredibly good...

I picked up a set of Genesis 1 speakers and just for grins hooked them up and have been listening to them for a few days. They are very well behaved, loads of bass, old-style but attractive enclosures, and are just loads of fun to listen to.

Compared to the Advents, they are quite a bit darker sounding. though it isn't because of rolled off treble. There is a lot of treble there! They have a different style of imaging- more precise but not as forward, and with a much smaller soundstage. All the music sounded like it was in or behind the plane of the speakers. The Advents push music behind, in place, and in front of the speakers, as well as to the sides, much like well setup Magnepan speakers do.

Still, these guys seem to be available in good condition for less than $100, and one would be pressed to match them for under $500 today. I am amazed at what Mr. Burhoe was able to accomplish, creating these gutsy little gentlemen!

gen1+.jpg

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

More old Gentlemen who sound incredibly good...

I picked up a set of Genesis 1 speakers and just for grins hooked them up and have been listening to them for a few days. They are very well behaved, loads of bass, old-style but attractive enclosures, and are just loads of fun to listen to.

Compared to the Advents, they are quite a bit darker sounding. though it isn't because of rolled off treble. There is a lot of treble there! They have a different style of imaging- more precise but not as forward, and with a much smaller soundstage. All the music sounded like it was in or behind the plane of the speakers. The Advents push music behind, in place, and in front of the speakers, as well as to the sides, much like well setup Magnepan speakers do.

Still, these guys seem to be available in good condition for less than $100, and one would be pressed to match them for under $500 today. I am amazed at what Mr. Burhoe was able to accomplish, creating these gutsy little gentlemen!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11730[/ATTACH]

-Paul

Haven't seen them for many moons! I know of a number of current smallish bookshelf speakers for less than $500 that would take these to the woodshed though. Very familiar with the Genesis line from back in the day. Sold at lower end electronic stores as a step up from Technics and Sony speakers. He did a great job creating a fairly priced alternative for music lovers back then.

David