IGNORED

Dynamic Range for DSD DSF Files?

I have Foobar 2000 (v1.3.1) with the Dynamic Range Meter plugin (V1.1.1). It works great for PCM based FLAC files, however, when I check the dynamic range for DSD DSF files, the results are always equal to -1. I have run the DR plugin on both the original DSF files from the Acoustic Sounds download and also on a DSD DoP converted version of the file and in each case I got the same results, -1.

Is there a way to properly measure the dynamic range for these files? On the DR Loudness website, I see SACD discs with DR ratings for the SACD layer, so I assume I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks

asiano,

there shouldn't be a problem doing this - except that it might take a long time to process the files (be it DSD or high samplingrate PCM).

Could you be more specific what you mean by

the results are always equal to -1
?

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Could you be more specific what you mean by ?

When I select the files (whether they are the actual DSF files or the DSF files converted to FLAC for playback as DSD over DoP), after the Dynamic Range Meter reads each track it lists the dynamic range as -1. If I get a chance, I'll try to attach a copy of one of the reports that Foobar generates.

Thanks

It would be great if you could post an example.

Just a guess: It might be related to some settings in the foobar preferences regarding the "foo_input_sacd" plugin or ...!?

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Methinks, TT DR Meter plug-in for fb2k works with PCM audio only, so you need foo_input_sacd plug-in's ASIO Driver Mode set to PCM to take DR measurements (and I don't think you can parse DoP-ed FLAC)...

Thanks - you were correct. I had the ASIO Driver Mode set to DSD to convert my DSF files to FLAC for DSD over PCM playback. Once I set the ASIO Driver Mode to PCM, the Dynamic Range Meter began providing normal results. What seemed a little odd is that the Dynamic Range results changed slightly depending on the DSD2PCM Mode. I'm not sure if there is a "best" DSD2PCM mode setting.

Also, as you stated it does not work for DoP.

Thanks - you were correct. I had the ASIO Driver Mode set to DSD to convert my DSF files to FLAC for DSD over PCM playback. Once I set the ASIO Driver Mode to PCM, the Dynamic Range Meter began providing normal results. What seemed a little odd is that the Dynamic Range results changed slightly depending on the DSD2PCM Mode. I'm not sure if there is a "best" DSD2PCM mode setting.

Also, as you stated it does not work for DoP.

The DSD2PCM settings are up to the end user. If you use sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz, then you can safely use either float or double-precision Multistage mode (non-filtered). With higher sampling frequencies (88.1 kHz, and especially 176.4/352.8 kHz) you should use the filtered conversion with either 30 kHz IIR or 30-40 kHz FIR filters provided with the foo_input_sacd plug-in. The standard mastered DSD files I encountered almost never had any significant signal information above 44 kHz (just noise). The ones that did, i.e. Michael Jackson's Thriller & some of David Elias's free sampler tracks (mastered above recommended -3.1 dBFS LPCM peak level, BTW) are extremely rare, IMO...

When I select the files (whether they are the actual DSF files or the DSF files converted to FLAC for playback as DSD over DoP), after the Dynamic Range Meter reads each track it lists the dynamic range as -1. If I get a chance, I'll try to attach a copy of one of the reports that Foobar generates.

Thanks

Dynamic range is generally measured in terms of deciBells or dB. and it refers to the difference between the loudest passage possible and the quietest. Examples would be: A pristine LP = 56dB. An analog audio tape (at 15 inches/second, half track) = ~64dB, a CD (is capable of) = 96 dB, and a 24 bit LPCM is capable of 144 dB of dynamic range. All of these, of course, are maximums under ideal conditions. Most CDs, for instance never achieve the theoretical 96 dB and certainly 24-bit digital won't do 144 dB due to other factors. But my point is that -1 doesn't mean anything. -1 what? And what's it -1 compared to? And is -1 good, mediocre, or bad? without a reference, I suspect the number would be meaningless to anybody.

George

• 7 months later...

Hello, i tried also to make DR analysis with Foobar Plugin (v1.1.1) and Foobar v1.3.3 but i have a "-1" results whatever PCM or DSD are selected i the ASIO problem. I moved to Foobar v1.3.4, same problem.

I don't have older version of Foobar (v1.3.1 for example) in order to see if it could come from the latest versions.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Thanks

Hello, i tried also to make DR analysis with Foobar Plugin (v1.1.1) and Foobar v1.3.3 but i have a "-1" results whatever PCM or DSD are selected i the ASIO problem. I moved to Foobar v1.3.4, same problem.

I don't have older version of Foobar (v1.3.1 for example) in order to see if it could come from the latest versions.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Thanks

Sorry I forgot, I tried on DSF files or Flac/DoP files => Same results

As already pointed earlier, you need to convert DSD to PCM for TT DR measurements... ;)

There is no porblem with measurements of "real" DSD files (*.dff or *.dsf or even *.iso). At least not here on my setup.

It even doesn't matter if i have set the ASIO driver mode (under preferences/tools/SACD) to DSD:

01.jpg

But you can not measure these "DoP packed in FLAC" container files!