IGNORED

new iPhone, same wi-fi

(Haven't posted in awhile but have been lurking. Hello again all.)

So Apple has announced the new phones and they have lots to offer with faster speed, more memory, video capability, etc. I was waiting for this update to finally take the iPhone plunge and commit to forking over a hefty monthly sum to AT&T. (I am also the last homo sapien on the planet to not own any flavor of iPod.)

I was hoping that they might include 802.11N wi-fi on this iteration, but alas, no. Just a/b/g. So, my question(s) for the group:

Everything in my house is running on 802.11N (2.4ghz since 5 wasn't happy with the walls and distances), and it's doing great. Router is an Airport Extreme. Server is a Macbook. If I introduce an iPhone with 802.11G as a remote control, could it impair my network's performance to the point that it could create dropouts or the like in my music? That would be completely unacceptable. If so, are there any workarounds (e.g. create a separate network or some such magic)?

Thanks much,

TheOtherTim

"If I introduce an iPhone with 802.11G as a remote control, could it impair my network's performance to the point that it could create dropouts or the like in my music?"

I use iMac->AE->dac(via optical)->amp->speakers and the iphone 3G as a remote for the last couple of weeks or so and have experienced no drop-outs or signal distortion at all, nor have seen any posts here to the effect that it may disrupt your network as you fear. No doubt you will hear about any negative experiences that i have missed. I think it is a brilliant little remote that frees up your entire music collection at a stroke (...or touch).

I also find it very useful indeed as a telephone (amongst other things) over and above as a remote, of course :-)

It's possible having a G device on your network along side the N devices will slow you connection and cause drop outs. It depends on lots of factors so can't really give a definitive answer.

Possible solutions...

1. run a wired connection from the Airport Extreme to the MacBook

2. add a second wireless network connection - get either a wireless bridge, or a cheep wireless router that can be switched to be a bridge. Connect this to a wired port on the Airport Extreme. Use this second wireless network for your iPhone.

Personally if at all possible I'd do 1 - but I guess the reason for using wireless in the first place is because it isn't convenient to do. Actually thats wrong ... first of all I'd try just using the iPhone on your existing network ... no point spending money unless you have to.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

a.j. - Thanks for the comments, and yes it is a very nice device. No question about its appeal.

El - Yes, too far for the wired solution. I might explore choice 2 as I've seen similar configs mentioned here and elsewhere. Perhaps I'll drop by my local Apple store and see if a Genius can draw up such a plan that my feeble brain can comprehend. And as you said, first just try the darn thing and see if it's OK. Thanks for the help.

TheOtherTim

Yes, I appreciate the comment, but my Extreme is a year or so old and hence not dual-band, unless there is a firmware update or something that I'm not aware of that would make it so.

TheOtherTim

The remaining Tim,

I experienced some dropouts when another G-based laptop was on my N network, but I can't recall even thinking there might be an issue with the iphone. OTOH, I can't imagine why anyone would be downloading loads of data from the internet with an iphone while at one's home, at least not on a regular basis. :)

In any event, what I did was hook an Airport Express (an old G-variety I had laying around) to the Airport Extreme to create another network, just as was suggested above, and problem solved.

Note: I bet you can get a G-model Airport Express on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

I do recall there was a firmware update, but I wouldn't have thought it would make it dual band ...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our Unlock Solution allows your to "Jailbreak" your iPhone. This will add the Cydia and Installer Application to your iPhone. These will allow you to add thousands of Free applications to your iPhone, like Games, Utilities, Tools, Nes Emulators, Custom Springboards etc. etc. Cydia and Installer are similar to the the iPhone Appstore, but all the applications are completely Free!

Unlock iPhone