IGNORED

Audirvana - unconvinced

I am intersted in the best possible sound from my Mac but not at the price of constant frustration

Problems with A+

- Tunes skip back a second if you do any other function on the Mac

- You can't run all computer audio through it. Sio if you want to hear YouTube you need to decouple A+. THen recouple, all the time checking the Mac has not slipped away from the USB out for sound

- Randonly if left unattended it also gets into a strange loop where it will not allow any sound - it is coupled with iTunes and iTunes is showing the track is playing but there is no sound. Continual rebooting of Mac, software doiesn't shake it off

I need a plug & play solution

This isn't

Would like to hear it can be solved but I have had to delete it from my machine

btw - it may be I am making errors but I have used the recommended set-up. Also my mac is new & high-spec so I don't consider the problems are caused by that

Study: iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 OS X 10.10.5, , Uptone USB Regen, Moon Neo 240i, Roon, PMC Twenty5, Rega RP3

Main Room : Sonore Microrendu, Pioneer VSX-2020, Naim Nait XS2, PMC Twenty 24, Rega RP6, Oppo BDP

Mobile:Dell XPS 13 i7 Win 10 Pro, Flare R2PRO, Oppo PM3, Oppo HA2, iPhone 7Plus, iPad using Roomie Remote

I would imagine that most here use their computer fairly exclusively for music when listening - I too can occasionally get Audirvana to "hiccup" if I am doing other things on my Mini. Do you have issues running Audirvana in standalone mode? Most have found it very stable in that environment.

I did a stress test with no audible problems yesterday:

Running Audirvana + with 10.9.2, maxing out all 8 of my i7 processors trying to solve an RNA crystal structure, and I'm using every available computer at work and at home, including the one I use for music. In addition, Audirvana is upsampling, and I am using Dirac DSP room compensation.

Apart from the fan noise, which is considerable, there is no degradation of sound quality, listening to Baroque flute at the moment (I would hear it).

This is very different from 10.7, which was a disaster for this sort of thing.

There are times when I'm just listening to music in the background and there are times when I ONLY want to listen to music. In the former case iTunes is a great solution, in the latter I do hear a significant improvement when I'm listening to Audirvana (and even more when I listen to it in not iTunes integrated but standalone mode). Yes, it is less convenient and it has had the occasional hiccup; but for those times the sound difference is worth it.

If you want an all around, robust, flexible, works with anything player then A+ is probably not what you were looking for. If you want the best in sound quality from your Mac, then my vote currently goes to A+.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

If you want an all around, robust, flexible, works with anything player then A+ is probably not what you were looking for. If you want the best in sound quality from your Mac, then my vote currently goes to A+.

+1

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

In my month as an A+ owner, I've found it to be extremely reliable, although like others have stated, my Mac-Mini is used only for music playback. Amarra, on the other hand, is very finicky and freezes or closes often for no apparent reason. Great sounding software also but fragile.

Damien has been very good and quick to answer my initial setup questions.

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Cheers Guys

I think my problem is that this is my study system - 90% to listen to music but often, whilst listening, 'Managing' ie Copying files to the NAS, setting up playlists etc - general tinkering. So if the software suffers from mild multi-tasking then, yes, probably not for me

have you send a mail asking support to Damien the developer of Audirvana ?

Good idea - is it best to contact through this forum or through the A+ website?

Study: iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 OS X 10.10.5, , Uptone USB Regen, Moon Neo 240i, Roon, PMC Twenty5, Rega RP3

Main Room : Sonore Microrendu, Pioneer VSX-2020, Naim Nait XS2, PMC Twenty 24, Rega RP6, Oppo BDP

Mobile:Dell XPS 13 i7 Win 10 Pro, Flare R2PRO, Oppo PM3, Oppo HA2, iPhone 7Plus, iPad using Roomie Remote