IGNORED

Non Powered USB Cable

Or you could just tape over the 5V pin both ends on an existing cable with some masking or electrical tape. Works just as well.

Red x marks the pins below;

5V_pin_usb.jpg

iMac i5 w/ ROON > HP Stream w/ Fidelizer > Intona Industrial > Singxer F-1 DDC > ABBAS DAC3.1SE > Line Magnetic LM-518IA > Altec 604-8G in Custom 350L Cabinets + REL R-528

I separated the power and data in my USB cable using a Power :: 5V power injector for USB (RB/411UAHR). Super cheap.

With many USB devices you will need to leave the 0 volts (black wire) in situ.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

With many USB devices you will need to leave the 0 volts (black wire) in situ.

Well, the shell is still grounded so I find that lifting pin 4 does not make a difference--sonically or functionally. Lifting pin 1 does though! For more than 2 years I've been using a narrow slice of a business card to that at the computer end. I advise against using tape as it can (does!) get stuck in the USB port.

Alex C

I find that at least with USB memory on an external linear +5V PSU , that breaking the shield connection to the output socket makes an audible improvement by removing an earth loop on a PC that is connected to IEC mains earth.

There is an internal connection between shield and the 0 volts line in many USB devices including USB memory .

I wouldn't use tape either. I replace the USB-A plug at the PC end with a solder type plug where the red +5V lead is not connected, and then use heat shrink on the plug.

Regards

Alex K_

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

+1 on blocking pin 1 on the computer side.

You know those plastic bits that go into the collar of a formal shirt. Cut a small piece to fit inside the USB plug (B side) and it is just thin enough to still fit and block Pin 1. If you need it to stick, use a tiny bit of blu-tac.