IGNORED

What the heck? Cables made a difference for me...

Having a few minutes before I need to head in to see the hand surgeon today, I decided to plug in a pair of 1.5 foot long interconnects I had lying around from Monoprice. RCA at both ends, in place of the jumpers connecting the pre to the power amp section of my Marantz 2230. Now it could just be a dirty connection, old jumpers (they are the originals) or it could be that a cable has indeed made a difference for the better. Later today I am going to DeOxit the jumpers and the plugs, plug the jumpers back in and hear what I hear.

No electron left behind.

Beware the power of the dark side... :)

Having a few minutes before I need to head in to see the hand surgeon today, I decided to plug in a pair of 1.5 foot long interconnects I had lying around from Monoprice. RCA at both ends, in place of the jumpers connecting the pre to the power amp section of my Marantz 2230. Now it could just be a dirty connection, old jumpers (they are the originals) or it could be that a cable has indeed made a difference for the better. Later today I am going to DeOxit the jumpers and the plugs, plug the jumpers back in and hear what I hear.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Do they have cookies?

By the way, the hand surgeon is gorgeous and single. I need to break more bones in my hand.

All flavors- vanilla to devil's food. Also, it is my understanding that gorgeous hand surgeons are also good a wielding lasers, so it requires fine wine, nice cars, and a charming personality to wine and dine them appropriately... Do you qualify? :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

. . . . . .it is my understanding that gorgeous hand surgeons are also good a wielding lasers, . . . . .

And mind your feet around those stilleto heels.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

All flavors- vanilla to devil's food. Also, it is my understanding that gorgeous hand surgeons are also good a wielding lasers, so it requires fine wine, nice cars, and a charming personality to wine and dine them appropriately... Do you qualify? :)

hahaha, do they feel appropriately impressed by large vinyl collections too?

No electron left behind.

Well based on the Doctor's opening post, he was not clear on it. Maybe it was just sarcasm and I missed it.

I am not a huge believer in cables making such a pronounced difference as replacing the jumpers with cables from Monoprice did.

No electron left behind.

I am not a huge believer in cables making such a pronounced difference as replacing the jumpers with cables from Monoprice did.

The 2230 is built 1972-75 something? I know the small bridges, they are the same as from the 4140, the material is tinned copper for the RCA.

40 years of moisture would have taken its toll on the materials by now, the effect of resistance just on the metal itself can make a large difference. By all means use a cleaner on the connectors, but the damage may already be done. You're better off with shorter jumper cables though.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hey, if a cable sounds good wouldn't more of it sound better?

I would recommend no less than 10 meters for the jumper. I suggest coiling it in a layered figure 8 pattern to prevent ill effects from coiling.

And don't do like a friend who plugged his CD player into the phono input on his 2230. He suffered cable induced burn out rather than burn in. Let the smoke right out of it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hey, if a cable sounds good wouldn't more of it sound better?

I would recommend no less than 10 meters for the jumper. I suggest coiling it in a layered figure 8 pattern to prevent ill effects from coiling.

And don't do like a friend who plugged his CD player into the phono input on his 2230. He suffered cable induced burn out rather than burn in. Let the smoke right out of it.

I already ordered my PCCCC cable from unobtanium liquid crystal cable company in a length of 20 meters. They said it would really let the music feel alive and give the soundstage room to spread out before getting to my speakers...

No electron left behind.

I finally decided to buy a power cord for the power supply to my dac. Big garden hose type but not too expensive - $75. I actually plugged it in Monday night and forgot about it until I turned on the bedroom system last night. Big changes to the sound. I thought something was wrong with my speakers. Bass is much more pronounced, mids and highs seem recessed. But there is more of a smoothness to the sound now. Not sure I like it overall, but will give it some time. I can return within 30 days. So yes I'm a believer in cables changing the sound and now understand why some recommend them to tailor the sound of one's system. But I'm also thinking, when audio gear is designed, aren't they using the stock cable to 'voice' the sound? I'm also looking at the construction of these power cables and thinking, I can make these things myself. All you need are some wire cutters and a screwdriver.