IGNORED

DSF or DFF. What is the difference?

I want to purchase a hi Rez recording from one supplier and they offer two choices in DSD format. Both are 2.8mhz but one DFF and the other DSF. How do I pick?

For sound quality / content, they are the same. The DSF format, though, allows metadata (e.g., track titles, artist names, composer names, etc.) to be embedded and viewed in your player of choice, so that is the format I always buy.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I did notice that I couldn't add embedded artwork in DSF files. At least with Foobar2000.

I've noticed this too. I have only purchased one title but using XLD on a Mac it doesn't appear the artwork is embedded. Does anyone else know if you can embed artwork in a DSF file?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I've noticed this too. I have only purchased one title but using XLD on a Mac it doesn't appear the artwork is embedded. Does anyone else know if you can embed artwork in a DSF file?

I haven't seen any issues with embedded artwork in DSFs. All my DSF files show the embedded artwork properly.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I haven't seen any issues with embedded artwork in DSFs. All my DSF files show the embedded artwork properly.

First of all I am mistaken in one thing. I did not use XLD because it doesn't handle DSF files. I use both iTunes/Audivrana and JRiver for Mac. Since iTunes doesn't handle DSF I copied the downloaded file in my music folder that JRiver is pointed at. I tried using JRiver to embed the cover art. For all my other embedded artwork (everything but this file) I can follow Finder to the Music Folder>Artist>Album>Song and see a thumbnail of the cover art but with this DSF all is see is a rectangular gray box with green letters in the corner that reads "exec". The file extension is .dsf.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 2 years later...
For sound quality / content, they are the same. The DSF format, though, allows metadata (e.g., track titles, artist names, composer names, etc.) to be embedded and viewed in your player of choice, so that is the format I always buy.

I noticed that *.dff files do not play in the Onkyo HF Player (iOS). Can you confirm that?

Is there a workaround? I could not find a way to contact Onkyo Tech Support - is there a way?

I use JRiver on a PC, and my .dsfs were tagged in JRiver. I cannot swear I know enough about the technology under the covers to know for sure that the artwork is inside the files, as opposed to being in "sidecars" or some other means. But, circumstantial evidence suggests it is indeed inside the files or, at least, inside the album folders.

It does not concern me much, though. My thousands of .dsfs with 10s of thousands of tracks all show with artwork in JRiver/JRemote.

I noticed that *.dff files do not play in the Onkyo HF Player (iOS). Can you confirm that?

Is there a workaround? I could not find a way to contact Onkyo Tech Support - is there a way?

I wound up converting any DFFs I had to DSF some time ago, so can't comment there.

If you wish to convert (it's a lossless operation; i.e., it won't hurt sound quality), I used this free utility:

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 11.12.24 AM.png

I wound up converting any DFFs I had to DSF some time ago, so can't comment there.

If you wish to convert (it's a lossless operation; i.e., it won't hurt sound quality), I used this free utility:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25236[/ATTACH]

Great idea!

• 7 months later...

I use Mp3tag to modify tag information and embed album art in my DSF files. Works like a champ!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I did notice that I couldn't add embedded artwork in DSF files. At least with Foobar2000.

Hi Leroy,

Check adding artwork into DSF in AuI ConverteR DEMO (batch metadata processing limited in the demo, but for one file metadata editing must work) WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSF Meta Tag Editor - Audio Converter AuI ConverteR 48x44

There may be added several artworks in single file (cover, composer, performet, etc.). But audio players show "Cover (front)" type as rule.

For some hardware audio players may be need to apply arwork size limitation, as far as I know.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, gio2k said:

way to convert the DSF (multi-channel) in DIFF multi-channel

Check my software https://samplerateconverter.com/dsf/dsf-dff-converter

For exact binary audio content in source and destination files, set bit-perfect mode (in commercial versions only) https://samplerateconverter.com/iso-converter/convert-iso-dsf-wav-flac-aiff#bit-perfect-iso-conversion

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, gio2k said:

Thanks but its too expensive.. I cannot spent 250 $ 

There is lower price ;)https://samplerateconverter.com/#modula-r-dsf-dff