IGNORED

PS Audio DirectStream DAC

I tried a cheater plug on my DirectStream, but couldn't hear a difference.

Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DirectStream DACs, PS Audio DMP transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20mono blocks, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2/Typhon QR power distributor, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo  cables and power cords. DH Labs digital XLR, BNC, USB, optical cables 

Yes, I was indeed referring to the so-called "cheater plug" above for purposes of testing whether my idea works in your system or not.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily a safe long term arrangement. But since your DS should be grounded via its connection to your preamp or amp anyways, this really shouldn't be terribly unsafe.

However I have developed a mod which provides the same sonic improvements as this grounding arrangement, but while still being 100% UL approved. But I'm interested in seeing how many other people hear as big of an improvement from doing this as I do before I take the time to show everyone how to potentially void the warranties on your DS's.

The disclaimer: AC voltages can be lethal. So try this at your own risk and expense!!! I warranty nothing, and I take no responsibly if you should somehow manage to electrocute yourself in the process, or fry your DS.

Not sure if you read the PS audio forum and this is what I posted earlier today

After hearing the DS for the past two days (I didn’t want to make any early conclusion) with the ground lifted, I am certain that its bringing +ive improvements to the table – less glare, less hash, a bit deeper bass, slightly bigger soundstage. Looks like there is a ground contamination in the DS. Could flow through the leakage current on either the input (microRendu) or the output (preamp) side or the DS power supply itself.

Can you elaborate on the mod that you are taking about ?

Not sure if you read the PS audio forum and this is what I posted earlier today

After hearing the DS for the past two days (I didn’t want to make any early conclusion) with the ground lifted, I am certain that its bringing +ive improvements to the table – less glare, less hash, a bit deeper bass, slightly bigger soundstage. Looks like there is a ground contamination in the DS. Could flow through the leakage current on either the input (microRendu) or the output (preamp) side or the DS power supply itself.

Can you elaborate on the mod that you are taking about ?

I've replied to the thread you created on the PS Audio forum. And I plan to continue this discussion over there for now.

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, Advieira said:

Direcstream to play DSD512 is only a matter of software or hardware? Is it possible a firmware to play DSD512?

Its limited by the h/w resource, meaning the fpga isn't powerful enough. Why do you want dsd512 anyways ?

those DACs are designed to work better with dsd512 (selection of clocks, etc). Not every DAC will magically sound best at that sample rate. Just because Rob Watts DAC do 512, doesn't mean anything. All these are answered in very details in the PSA forums by Ted S.